Burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Martin

Sep 21, 2018
Hi I’m trying to figure out why I keep getting burnt Taste on my rda I have a heathens/hellvape drop dead rda running a prebuilt ni80 tri core fused Clapton 3mm rated at 0.21 ohms using firebolt cotton sitting on a ijoy pd270 mod I have the wick fully saturated but still getting nothing but burnt taste tried using different types of juice still the same out come no flavor at all just burnt can anyone help?

Attachments

• 0DACD2B9-1A25-479D-8101-ADD97DB75A3B.jpeg
    0DACD2B9-1A25-479D-8101-ADD97DB75A3B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 3264E727-7776-4CFA-B15A-6AD5BB05924D.jpeg
    3264E727-7776-4CFA-B15A-6AD5BB05924D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Mike Martin

Sep 21, 2018
Hi I’m trying to figure out why I keep getting burnt Taste on my rda I have a heathens/hellvape drop dead rda running a prebuilt ni80 tri core fused Clapton 3mm rated at 0.21 ohms using firebolt cotton sitting on a ijoy captain pd270 mod I have the wick fully saturated but still getting nothing but burnt taste tried using different types of juice still the same out come no flavor at all just burnt can anyone help?

Attachments

• 746A02AD-654B-4F40-85EA-ACCBC1A76296.jpeg
    746A02AD-654B-4F40-85EA-ACCBC1A76296.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • E14E1BDD-67BF-44DC-AAF5-883A2A40AC6B.jpeg
    E14E1BDD-67BF-44DC-AAF5-883A2A40AC6B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Optimistic

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’ve tried running at 80 at first then I lowered the watts down to 60
Sounds like you’re still way too high. I’m running a .18 single coil atm at 30w. Maybe start at 20w (which is going to be too low) and work your way up.
Welcome to the forum btw :)

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I’ve tried running at 80 at first then I lowered the watts down to 60

You did pulse the coil for hot spots before wicking and using right?

If so, could be your wicking. Try using just enough to pull through the coil with a small amount of resistance, you shouldn't have to force it through.

If you've done that, try rewicking and cutting the tails where they just touch the deck or have just a minor amount to fold under.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Here it is without wick
Second pic shows a hot leg on the left as you are looking at the pic. Turn power off. Take a pair of tweezers and use the handle end to strum the coils......and there is no need to get the coils that hot. Gently pulsing should be enough to see that it starts to heat up from the middle going to the outside. You do not want that leg to glow......

:)

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I'm thinking wattage too high may be a big part of the burnt taste issue. Try starting out at 30 watts when you get it rewicked and move up from there until it gets too warm or burnt. Dripping on the coils should keep you from getting dry hits, wicking in an rda is not as crucial as with some other attys.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
i definitely will try these ideas hopefully it helps
Have you watched any videos on youtube that show you how to install and wick coils on this rda? Go to youtube and do a search on 'how to build/coil' and then put in your rda. Should have several vids showing how. I am thinking you have already just burned these and should start over.

just my 2 pennies.

:)

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I'm thinking wattage too high may be a big part of the burnt taste issue. Try starting out at 30 watts when you get it rewicked and move up from there until it gets too warm or burnt. Dripping on the coils should keep you from getting dry hits, wicking in an rda is not as crucial as with some other attys.

I usually run claptons pretty high to reduce ramp up but I run kanthal core(s) and generally kanthal wraps. I'm wondering what the cores are on his coil, if it's all ni80 you're right ramp up should be pretty fast. If it has kanthal cores and depending on core size, higher wattage maybe needed for ramp time.

I say that because .21 at 60w is like 3.5v, I generally stay between 3.7v-4.2v as a start point, but I'm used to mechs so that's the voltage range you work with.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I usually run claptons pretty high to reduce ramp up but I run kanthal core(s) and generally kanthal wraps. I'm wondering what the cores are on his coil, if it's all ni80 you're right ramp up should be pretty fast. If it has kanthal cores and depending on core size, higher wattage maybe needed for ramp time.

I say that because .21 at 60w is like 3.5v, I generally stay between 3.7v-4.2v as a start point, but I'm used to mechs so that's the voltage range you work with.
When I install coils that Im unsure about I look at voltage as a key to what wattage to start them out at, usually start around 3.25 volts knowing I'll be working it up from there. Generally end up around 4.2 or a little over. Never know though, I might find one I like at 3.25 :lol:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Hi I’m trying to figure out why I keep getting burnt Taste on my rda I have a heathens/hellvape drop dead rda running a prebuilt ni80 tri core fused Clapton 3mm rated at 0.21 ohms using firebolt cotton sitting on a ijoy pd270 mod I have the wick fully saturated but still getting nothing but burnt taste tried using different types of juice still the same out come no flavor at all just burnt can anyone help?
The way you have the coil installed it's not getting any airflow over the coil. It needs to be turned 90° like Izan posted. Without airflow hitting the coil it just burns the juice. I would say you also have too much cotton.

JoshiWanVanobi

Apr 23, 2018
Ithaca, NY
Hi I’m trying to figure out why I keep getting burnt Taste on my rda I have a heathens/hellvape drop dead rda running a prebuilt ni80 tri core fused Clapton 3mm rated at 0.21 ohms using firebolt cotton sitting on a ijoy captain pd270 mod I have the wick fully saturated but still getting nothing but burnt taste tried using different types of juice still the same out come no flavor at all just burnt can anyone help?
What wattage u runnin?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

JoshiWanVanobi

Apr 23, 2018
Ithaca, NY
Also do you usually do single coil, or dual coil builds in your rdas?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread