RDA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
Do you know the core gauge? Outer gauge? Just seems odd to be burning the coil in half that easily at 40 watts unless you are firing it for a long time, most mods are not going to let you fire it that long. What mod are you using?
pico sq 2 n vandy vape 80w ...
The problem appears to be with your wick density, try some tighter and looser variants. Before you start dry burn and clean the coils. Check they glow evenly and there are no hotspots.

hardly get any hotspot .... might be good time to get mesh :p (lame excuse)

Enough cotton to be tight, but not enough cotton to move the coil when pulling on the cotton.

will do and learn

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
IDK, I'm looking at that "fresh" wick and that coil is filthy. Worse in the first photo, but filthy nonetheless. You've got to dry burn and clean up that coil every time you wick it, otherwise one, it'll be hard to thread fresh wick through, and two, even if you pull that off, it'll still taste crappy.

It's an Alien Clapton. It's got a lot of nooks and crannies in it. They're there to help you vaporize more juice. They also fill up with gunk. If you don't keep them clean, including dry burning, rinsing to get the ash off, even using one of those little interdental brushes they sell in place of floss these days, it doesn't matter how often you put in fresh cotton, it will still taste like the ash trapped in there you keep reheating.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Very helpful video, although I wouldn't dunk it in water while still on the mod, and I know he says he's not a heavy user, only 30 ml a day, and well, I must be a real lightweight at 6-7 ml a day, and not all the same tank. If I vaped that much I'd be dry burning every day too.

My quick wash up. Both rta and rda.

Take it off the mod. Pop the deck out or whatever, pull the old cotton out and toss it. Run the base and coils under hot water. Gets rid of the surface crap which means less to burn off.

Place it on my 521 tab or mod. I use SS almost exclusively so I keep gently pulsing. At first it's mostly just evaporating off the water from the rinse, then as they get orange, the crappy stuff. Go with short pulses until it's looking sorta good.

Take it off and rinse again in warm water. This gets rid of the ash that may fall off onto the bottom of the deck. Go over it with my glasses on and so a little scrubbing with the tiny dental pick thingy. That includes the grub heads and posts. I like all the metal to look clean. Dry it with a paper towel after a good shake off. Remount it on my tab (or mod or whatever) and if it looks good rewick.

If it still looks cruddy, and not the color the coil rarely will get back to its original appearance just as a result of the changes that happen with heating, but if I still see little bits or tiny crusty areas still there I mount new coils.

I get about 3-4 months out of fused Claptons that way. Even more if it's an occasional use tank.

All that does take me an extra 2-3 minutes than just slapping fresh cotton on, but it's worth the effort as iit tastes essentially brand new when I'm done.

You can use any variation on that, but that voodoo ritual has worked well for me, and I haven't had to sacrifice a chicken in years to beg for a clean tasting vape.

Reactions: Baditude

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
IDK, I'm looking at that "fresh" wick and that coil is filthy. Worse in the first photo, but filthy nonetheless. You've got to dry burn and clean up that coil every time you wick it, otherwise one, it'll be hard to thread fresh wick through, and two, even if you pull that off, it'll still taste crappy.

It's an Alien Clapton. It's got a lot of nooks and crannies in it. They're there to help you vaporize more juice. They also fill up with gunk. If you don't keep them clean, including dry burning, rinsing to get the ash off, even using one of those little interdental brushes they sell in place of floss these days, it doesn't matter how often you put in fresh cotton, it will still taste like the ash trapped in there you keep reheating.

cause it only left 3-4 ml in my squonk, after this finish i going to change flavor, so a bit lazy to do it now :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
cause it only left 3-4 ml in my squonk, after this finish i going to change flavor, so a bit lazy to do it now :)

Then why bother with the cotton? It's not like cleaning the coil will mean tossing out that last 4 ml, and if you're going to be waiting to finish off the 4 ml, do the dry burn and rewick it then. Otherwise you wasted however long putting fresh cotton in when there will be zero benefit to your vape.

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
OP has stated he is burning coils in half, if it is a Clapton, I suspect there is more than a wicking issue if 40 watts is burning the coil in half and the normal 10 to 15 second cutoff is working on the mod. Does a Clapton even exist that is 30 or smaller core? I would expect a 26 or 28 core to hold up to 40 watts at 15 seconds.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OP has stated he is burning coils in half, if it is a Clapton, I suspect there is more than a wicking issue if 40 watts is burning the coil in half and the normal 10 to 15 second cutoff is working on the mod. Does a Clapton even exist that is 30 or smaller core? I would expect a 26 or 28 core to hold up to 40 watts at 15 seconds.

I believe he meant the wick. Burning a coil in half is fairly difficult unless it a 32G round or something. Sort of like blowing the old fashioned screw in circuit breakers. In his photos the coil is a mess, but still in one piece.

• Agree
Reactions: Don29palms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread