Re-entering vaping(haluah) Where to restart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primulas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2009
MI, USA
I am just now looking to switch back from analogs to an e-cig for a second time. Initially i went about 6 months 100% analog free fairly easily with e-cigs. Only after having simultaneous equipment breakdowns/misplacements did i revert back to analogs. This was before cheapy e-cigs could be had locally.

When i was vaping i had tried several different models, none of which was exactly what i would have wanted. I owned an 801(manual and auto,) 901, light-vaper mod, and one other mini that came with a flimsy PCC(which promptly broke in my pocket.)

Upon returning to the forums, i am seeing some new tech is now available. These new cartos/tanks sound alot better in many respects to what i have used in the past. My main complaints in the past were juice all over everything(hands,lips,tissues,cases) and constantly needing to top off carts(especially when refilling) and/or replace batteries.

Now i want to get a new setup. From what i have been reading a tank/carto system seems great. I am also not against the possibility of a battery mod setup if need be.

Here's what i am looking for in order of importance(because of course i want it all :) )

1. Low on maintenance; I'd like to be able to go at lease 1/2 day(8-10 analogs) without touching juice or batteries. Batteries are not quite as much of a hassle as juice. I don't even want to have to touch juice during a work shift.

2. Sturdy; I don't want to have to worry about it breaking in my pocket. Even a very sturdy, hard case would be acceptable. I keep my ecig on me at almost all times, so i don't want to constantly be worrying about breaking it.

3. Vapor production; I want something that will consistently hit good with little to no tinkering.

4. Small; I just need to be able to carry it on me.

5. Sustainable; I'd like a product that uses standard parts that i can readily find and buy online. Not here today/gone tomorrow.

6. Price; As long as i am not spending more then i was on analogs i can't complain. Cheaper replacement parts are always nice though.

7. Manual/Auto: I prefer manual. Seems to me almost all decent units these days are manual anyway.

From what i am reading i am leaning towards a tank setup. But i am in no way absolutely tied to that. I'm especially confused about what kinds of carto setups would be best for me as far as vapor production to battery consumption.

Thanks in advance, i appreciate any setup help you can offer me. I'm very excited to be getting back into vaping.

-Primulas

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Not sure about the Reo bandwagon, but it certainly seems like a mini bottom feeder would be the way to go. I think the Provari, or any 18650 tube mod would be too big to carry say in a shirt pocket at work or anywhere for that matter. I myself am looking for something to carry on a daily basis and have ruled almost all of those out already. I drive for a living and move a lot of freight and at times have had my eGo fall out of my pocket with just an atty attached on more than one occasion. I am almost sure I would've snapped a tank off with a couple of the falls it has taken. I am researching a small or mini box mod and have narrowed down a few choices. I too don't have a problem carrying around a battery or two as I also carry a backpack for work as well. Good luck with your search though.....

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
If you're going to be dropping your PV often, get a Reo. Solid aluminum, it won't break
18f44d0f-46ef-ec1c.jpg

That was from a 12 foot drop onto concrete.

wyetterp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Murrells Inlet, SC
Just get a provari. It fits all your criteria & is very good at satisfying cravings. Once you use one, you won't even question the price.

If you do get a provari, boge 3.0ohm carto's in tanks do excellent. No point in having to mess around with duel coils especially sense there are some 45mm boges that are about to hit here that will fit DCT's.

Hope it work's out for 'ya. Sounds like your making a good call with just going ahead & ordered a higher end pv. It does suck getting something that's not completely satisfying & then have to experiment with something else or have something fail.

Last edited:

meMYSELFnI

Apr 19, 2011
UT, USA
I'll throw in my .02

since one of your criteria is small, stay away from the tube mods like silver bullet, provari, etc. I don't have a reo but that seems more to fit what your looking for than anything else I can think of. Especially if your carrying it, keeping it in your pocket, and working.

I guess it would depend on the work you do. If it's something like construction or other hard labor where it's going to get scratched dented or dinged, Maybe look toward the mini Saber Flash Intro Page Maybe even the Variable volt and power kit so you can vape on anything even duel coils without your battery failing to provide the amps. Besides 5yr warranty

Boge carts would be the easiest way to go imo. A tank mod would be good but depend on how you care for it. The harder you are on them the more likely they are to leak. Find a sturdy tank mod with the saber and call it good.

Primulas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2009
MI, USA
Wow, thanks guys. Of course now i have more questions. :)

It seems like on the size category the Reo definitely takes the win. Though even a provari is not too big to carry in a pants pocket, i dont think? With either of these pieces i would need to store them with the carto/ato/tank off, i think. At work i do lots of up and down, bending, kneeling, occasionally banging into things. Seems like the reo would be fine, but i am not so sure about a tank. are some of these tanks pretty tough? I definitely don't want a tank of juice loose in my pocket :). Also should i have to worry about a disconnected tank leaking?

Next how would you guys place consistent vapor production bottom feeder vs tank? either one significantly better then the other? I've always thought that polyfil carts seemed to only last a short time before not wicking as well(Of course that was using regular attys and carts,) is that an issue with either a tank or a bottom feeder setup? Also i've read some about a learning curve with using a bottom feeder and getting the feed just right. I don't want to deal with juice in my mouth. Is this aspect better on a tank vs a bottom feeder?

Is 3ml juice enough for half a day at least? i can't remember how much juice i used to use honestly. I'm not a super heavy vaper(until i get off work anyway.) At work i'd say i have time to step out/in and smoke/vape 3 or 4 times max.

Honestly, from what i have read i like the logistics better on a tank/provari setup. Though, i am concerned about the tank durability/mobility. If i can carry a tank/provari with me easily/safely in a pants pocket; i think i might be decided. Though i am still considering a rio or other box mod. From what i have read it just seems like they might be more finicky as far as using them goes?

Also Muzichead, what other box mods are you looking at? Seems the Rios can be hard to find in stock.

On a side note, i was at first put off by all the provari "fancy button pushing/lcd stuff." Upon watching a few reviews i think it is not so bad. In fact some of the options are pretty cool. Though the main draw being able to switch voltages on the go leaves me completely clueless(is this really a valuable useful feature? Why? When?)

Also, do you guys think the aluminum Rio's are sturdier then the wood ones? Seems to me that wood would absorb alot more of the damage of a fall then metal. The wood Rio conjures images of a oney box(hope the reference does not offend) in my head.

-Prim.....the long winded and over thinking

thanks guys for any and all help!

Johnny Five is alive!

wyetterp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Murrells Inlet, SC
As far as Provari goes, the adjustments a super easy & can be done in a split second. There's also the mini provari. I just like having the 18650 for a long day of vaping & the reg size isn't really that big. After getting mine I realized most of the people doing the video reviews have small hands.

If you like the provari & tanks you can get a holster instead of pocket carry which it what I'd recommend any way the way you described your day.

Here's a couple that they make pv specific & really cheap for leather..

SerenityGear Leather

A lot cheaper then any leather holster or clip holster I've ever bought.

There's been a lot of good suggestions here. Hope your happy with what ever you end up with.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
@Primulas, I am with other people when they talk about the Reo mini for instance... It is a proven mod for sure, but for work you might want to think of cheaper alternatives such as a Vapage V-MOD 2.0.... Since the change over to the 2.0 it seems to have all the bugs worked out on it and it's half the price of the Reo mini. You might also want to check out Madvapes. I believe they have a 3AAA box bottom feeder as well. For work I either use an eGo or a 2AA box mod from SmokTek. I don't use tanks or carts as I drip 100% of the time. So it's a Cisco LR306 and tip all day. I have just found this to be the best for my vaping pleasure.

You might also keep in mind as some have already pointed out the Provari is a proven unit as well, but is it practical to carry at work all day? I don't think it is, especially with a tank on top. I don't know the exact numbers, but I am guessing it would be 6-7+" long with a tank attached. I believe the unit by itself is just under 5" alone and most tanks for it are at least 2 1/2" long..... Not exactly pocketable imo..... The Vmod 2.0 is definitely pocketable and its capacity, (juice), will last you most of the day. You might have to carry an extra battery around, but you would even with the Reo mini.....

I am saving my $'s to get a Bogger VVBF box mod for everyday use. The size dimensions still look like I could carry it in my shirt pocket through the day and only the atty and tip will stick out. I would probably go with the Reo mini, but am looking for VV for my next pv and the Bogger is only $20-35 more, not to mention it will be VV..... I know Reo is working on a VV model, but imo it won't see the light of day for at least 2-3 months from now. Rob has been teasing everyone with pics of it for at least 2 months now if not more. He has a hard enough time keeping up with his regular mods right now and he's throwing in a VV pv as well.... I don't envy him at all at the moment....

Primulas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2009
MI, USA
After alot of careful consideration i think i will probably order a reo mini in the next day or two(Hopefully the one in stock doesn't sell out before i get a chance to order it.) should i get atty's or cartos for it? I've only used atty's in the past, i don't know a ton about the difference of performance/lifespan between the two. I did notice on reo's page the cartos are dirt cheap(like 2 bucks a piece.) How long could i expect a carto to last vs an atty? any performance differences with the reo? Particular suggestions would be great.

I still reallllly want to get a provari and throw a tank on it. Maybe after i start breaking even from vaping vs analog savings i'll pick up a provari setup for my home vaping.

Edit: also any pref juice type to use with a bottom feeder? in the past i have liked mint 100% pg juice. Also upon looking into the batteries for the reo, i found e smokey treats carried some for a couple bucks a piece; and another brand for almost double that. Is it gonna make much of a difference one way or another what brand of batteries i get?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Also for anyone who is interested from nothing to a full reo setup including juice is going to run about $200. The Provari setup woulda cost about $250(that's with a tank)

-Primulas

Last edited:

Primulas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2009
MI, USA
As a final update here, i have my REO mini in hand(it has not left it too much over the last 3 days.) Gotta say thanks for all who recommended it. This is a stellar unit. It does everything i ask of it. Lasts(mostly) all day for me and hits like a tank. The squonking and/or blind squonking method of feeding it is easy. It is an extremely sturdy design(all mechanical,) and i just love it. I'm very glad i picked it to re-enter vaping. I wish this thing was around when i first switched to an e-cig. On top of that, the REO forums have been grand in making sure i enjoy my MOD(and super-friendly to boot.) I've also witnessed the maker's(Rob) customer service. He stands behind his units 100%, and steps in to make sure his customers are happy with his product. LOVE IT!

On a side note i still want a Provari with a tank at some point. I am in love with what it can do. I figure when i have recouped my costs from the REO i can invest in a nice alternate. But at the moment i don't see how analogs can compare to my REO ever again(yes....i am only 3 days in. BUT i have been here and done this before....and i don't see myself wanting to go back to analogs based on pleasure/ease alone.)

BTW I am using my REO mini with a 3.7V IMR battery and a LR smoktech cartomizer(picked them up with my REO because i didn't know what else to get.)

Attaching some eye candy as well.

reomini.jpg vapor.jpg vapor2.jpg

-Prim, analog free 3 more days......and happier with the experience alone(solely.)

StrikeEagleCC

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2011
Tucson
Glad to hear you found something that's working for you. I've been using the XL size SmokTech cartos for a while, and have found that I rarely have to fill them during my long shifts at work. I can't imagine what I'd need a tank for. But then, I'm just using JessyX (similar to a 1000mah eGo), and I don't think it's putting out as much vapor as your REO. Enjoy your experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread