Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hey guys,

So I've been using micros and cotton wicks for a little while now (6 wraps of 28g for 0.9-1 ohm), and it's working really well in my Hornet. However, whenever I rewick the coil (remove old wick, dry burn, rinse, dry and rewick) I tend to get a weird metallic taste. This doesn't happen with a freshly built coil, but within the first one or two wick changes. I examine my coils, and there's no way it's a short of any kind. Could there possibly be a break in period for rewicked micros?

I'll also add that this usually happens when using lighter juices. I did a rewicking and switched to a darker juice, and there was no problem. I did a third rewicking, switched back to a lighter juice, and the metallic taste came on.

Or is it just in my head? :blink:

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
I dont really get a metallic taste,but it does take a little bit for the cotton to "break in" to get the full flavor. What kind of cotton are you using?

Cotton balls... stretched out and rolled fairly tight. The bizarre thing is, a freshly built coil doesn't do this. It's only after I rewick it one or sometimes two times.

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
Seems kinda oddball, but this happened to me earlier today so I'll share anyway:
How well are you drying the atty before reusing it? I pulled my cotton, dry burned, rinsed under the faucet, dried with q-tip and paper towel, then rewicked, juiced, and vaped.
Turns out some tap water was still sitting in the wire posts which gave me a really strange "minerally" flavor. That could be the taste your describing.
Or not, what do I know ;)

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
<OT>

Ugh. Your username is just not right. :lol: I just moved away from the area and i'm itching for some home town flavor.

</OT>

Heading out to get some cotton balls now. I have to see what it's all about. :vapor:

Instead of cotton balls I recommend going to CVS and getting a box of sterilized rolled cotton. :)

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
Seems kinda oddball, but this happened to me earlier today so I'll share anyway:
How well are you drying the atty before reusing it? I pulled my cotton, dry burned, rinsed under the faucet, dried with q-tip and paper towel, then rewicked, juiced, and vaped.
Turns out some tap water was still sitting in the wire posts which gave me a really strange "minerally" flavor. That could be the taste your describing.
Or not, what do I know ;)

I never thought about water in the posts! I usually dry mine pretty well, and even do a quick fire after rinsing to make sure the coils are dry. If it happens again, I'll give it a bit more time.

Thank you all! At least I know I'm not crazy..... yet.

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
Ugh. Your username is just not right. :lol: I just moved away from the area and i'm itching for some home town flavor.
Hahaha, I just had a couple soft pretzels and wawa chocolate milk for breakfast.
I never thought about water in the posts! I usually dry mine pretty well, and even do a quick fire after rinsing to make sure the coils are dry. If it happens again, I'll give it a bit more time.

Thank you all! At least I know I'm not crazy..... yet.

Yea, I'm usually more OCD about it but was in a hurry this morning. Even after you dry and give a second burn after rinsing, try blowing some air at the holes in the posts - there's still usually a few drops trapped in there.
Depending on the water quality in your area, that can really change the flavor for the first few pulls.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Ever look a used coil under high(ish) magnification (I use an adjustable loupe)? I see pits (and sometimes cracks) in the wire, usually in the middle 2-3 wraps. Hmmm, where did that metal go that used to be in those pits?

Also, often times after a few cycles/uses of rewicking dry burning and then rinsing, the clean coil will have a redish (rust?) tint to it, especially noticeable with Kanthal. In my experience, this coincides with an odd flavor on a clean (but used) coil.

After rinsing, I take a paper towel and try to get as much water as I can out of the nooks and crannys of the atty. Such as; the interior of the posts and around the gasket and under the screw heads, etc. The RM2 in particular seems to hold water under the ceramic deck. I've taken to using compressed air to dry all my attys after rinsing.

End rambling...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread