Reactor coils always reading higher than they should

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
So, I jumped in headfirst with the Reactors a few months back and grabbed 3 kits and a few extra tanks (for all my different flavors).
They seemed so inexpensive with the free 30mL bottles thrown in n such that after I got (and loved) the first one so much I grabbed the other 2 kits and 3 extra tanks.
But after a month(ish), they all started reading .6 instead of .5 - like, RIGHT away... as soon as I installed new ones.
I keep trying to back out the atomizers a bit (over and OVER), clean up the sloppy mess... :shock:DOH! - ".6 AGAIN!":shock: - try again, MAYBE get lucky on ONE tank on ONE of the three batteries.
But next time I fill it, I'm back to .6 again. And on and on it goes.
The guy I just chatted with at Halo says he wouldn't even notice a difference between .4 and .6 reading on his battery. That this is "common with these types of tanks and coils."
I LOVE vaping the majority of my juices around the 28-Watt range if it's reading at .5... but it almost never is, so I have to back way off the power, which makes it cooler, less tasty and less clouds.
Is it really an "unnoticeable difference"?
Am I really being unreasonable expecting these tanks to fire at .5?
Is there a trick I am in the dark about to get these tanks back to the wonderful .5 range they used to be?
(for the record - I am meticulous about keeping EVERYTHING super-clean, all contacts and everything, and these tanks never leak, so I don't THINK that could be the problem)
Is there a way to make the contacts touch correctly that someone could clue me in on?:nun:
Thanks in advance.:toast:

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Yeah, ok... forget it, I think. :blink:
I just went ahead and turned all 3 batteries off and gently rocked the edges of the battery contact point all the way around each one with the tip of a pen a bit - and I'm down to .5 on all 3 batteries. Wooohooo!:thumbs:
I guess there IS a bit of liquid dripping in there, stiffening em up.
Hopefully it's not inside the case, around the battery.
Has anyone opened one of these up and cleaned the inside?
Is it recommended?
I was wary (and still am, a bit).:danger:

Chicken Menudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2014
I opened up the Reactor (i.e. iStick 50) once but I would not recommend it. You'll have to remember that at the end of the day these are mass-produced Chinese items. They aren't made with the best tolerances or even something as simple an o-ring surrounding the contact so liquid will inevitably leak into the mod. Over time this will cause your device to do funky things like misfire (which is what prompted me to open mine up). You should really only expect 6 months of worry-free operation out of these devices unless you spring for an American (or equivalent Western-nation) manufactured mod (e.g. Provari). But, now you understand why they are cheap. The most expensive component is typically the battery.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hamburglar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2015
New Bern, NC
I notice these readings fluctuating on 3rd party batteries as well. So it is not just the reactor battery. These days I use my reactor tank and coils on a couple other 3rd party batteries.

Never has been an issue. They tend to go up and down a little....maybe up as they age??? I just set the wattage I want to use and keep on vaping.

Reactions: DaveOno

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
hmmm...
I guess I've got a bit of OCD or something, but it drives me absolutely nuts to have all 3 of my Reactor batteries reading .6 ALL THE TIME. From the second I put a new coil on - and forevermore. (no fluctuation - just .6 - ALWAYS)
I think I'm gonna go to a local B & M and see how my tanks read on other mods.
Seems like they "fluctuate" on different mods - from what you're experiencing @hamburglar - so maybe it just is what it is.
I've got the new gear bug though, and still love the flavor from my Reactor tanks - and have SIX of em, and being that I've been using these 3 Reactor batts since December - maybe I'll be happier with a stronger mod - where I can use .25 coils too. Think I'd like the warmer vape.
Seems like the SS are good choices?
I just tried my first .5 Clapton coil with a new eliquid yesterday, and the flavor is inSANE.
Haven't compared on a flavor I'm familiar with -apples to apples- .5 regular to .5 Clapton yet, but will in a few days when my coils need changing.

hamburglar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2015
New Bern, NC
thanks for your review of the Clapton. I have not tried them yet. I think I am going to stick with the stainless and kanthal for now. Because they have been good enough that I have no complaints.

Just an observation... the 0.5 stainless coil I installed 3 days ago into my reactor (v1) tank on the sbody macro mod... as I type this it is reading 0.53 ohms. When I installed it, it was reading 0.6 ohms. I have not cleaned the contacts at all. It just fluctuates like this on its own.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
no emoji's....this post doesnt count!!!!
:shock:Wheeeeeeezal!!!:shock:
I was WAITING for you to show up! hahhhahhahhaha:lol:
All apologies for that emojiless post.
I'm slippin.:pervy:
Yeah, @hamburglar , I know they fluctuate a bit. I do. Really.
But I also know that they used to consistently read at .5... at least for awhile, til the coils got kinda tired.
If I were using TC, I guess it wouldn't really matter a bit, would it?
yet another stoooopid question:
Can you use the prebuilt Reactor SS coils with TC?
(I would assume? Or do you need to use their Ni200 coils or build your own SS or Nickel or Titanium coils to enjoy TC?)
It's not easy being clueless...:banana:
(and not for nothin', but my cotton burned quick as :censored: pushing it only as far as 30 Watts {while reading at .6} on both the kanthal .5's and the clapton .5's. Just set it at 35-40 watts and vape regardless of what it reads?:glare: Guess it's all in my head? :thumbs:)

Last edited:
Reactions: wheezal

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Ok... I know no one cares, but I've just gotta tell ya:
I have only NOW really begun vaping. :vapor::drool:
Holy :censored:!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS is what I KNEW was possible all along, but was NEVER able to achieve.
Sorry if I've come off as annoying or obnoxious in this thread (or others).
The reason I was so annoyed about the ohms reading wrong is that I KNEW (through experience with those .5 kanthal coils) if I upped my wattage/voltage too much (and yes, of COURSE gradually working up to it), the cotton ended up getting scorched. Dry, cardboard/cotton-tasting flavor increased and flavor DEcreased as I went past 28 Watts on them with the Reactor batts, for some reason I STILL don't really understand.
I NEVER got a FULL, amazing flavor, just a cooler, pretty bland taste ALL THE FREAKING TIME.
Whatever.
It's a mystery.
Now that I'm using a new HIGH-powered mod... and these freaking .25 SS coils?!?!?!?!
Holy :censored:ing :censored:!!!
Even at like 45 Watts - it's NUTS!
It's toasty-awesome-approaching-insanity-:shock:MASSIVE:shock:-flavor-explosion... INSTANTANEOUSLY when I hit the fire button.
This is EXACTLY what I knew it could be. Knew it SHOULD be all along.
Tastes like my dripper tanks I messed with for a short time (before running out of patience with them & giving them away - I hate rewicking, and SUCK at it - very frustrating. I'll happily {?} pay for coils to avoid dealing with that nonsense).
@hamburglar :toast: - THANK YOU.
Dog bless you.
I have truly entered vape bliss.:hubba:
I wish to :censored: I knew why all my liquids were just tasting like cardboard with weak flavoring, and if I upped the wattage I'd cross directly into scorched cotton zone.
I always prime carefully & start low on wattage and work up n all that, so that's not it.:confused:
wth?
Whatever.
Bygones.
SS .25 is my sheeeeeeeeeee-it at the 50-60 Watt range.
I've got a new lease on life.
Thanks again, @hamburglar!
Sooooooo freakin' psyched!!!!:w00t:

wooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!:headbang:
Peace, Halons.
(and yeah, the Reactor coils fluctuate a bit, but they're all very close to .25 reading on my new mod, but read .3 on one Reactor batt and .4 on the other two. I know it's too underpowered to handle these coils, I was just curious what it would read. Same on all six tanks. Whatever. Who the :censored: cares?!? I know YOU don't, as you read this. I say good day.):banana:
"So say we all."
Eternally Halon.
(enough emojis, @wheezal ?;))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread