Reads different resistance than the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
While it's true mods aren't 0hm meters,these days they're actually precise enough to use instead of an 0hm reader.
Furthermore, when you have 2 coils your resistance should he half of what the coil is (in this case the coil is .3 so 2 of em makes it .15)

Also note that coils always have a slight difference in 0hms but this is not normal to me.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Thank you! I believe you are correct especially since i have an expensive brand new mod...
Would it be to much to ask if you can explain to me what the problem might be and how i may correct it?
Thanks in adavance.
Unfortunately all i can tell you on this is check your connections make sure there's no hotspots on the coils. If those coils are stainless a resistance jump while vaping could be normal as stainless has a tendency to do such things.

Reactions: Ethan diy

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Factory-made coils may have an "acceptable" inaccuracy of +/- of 0.2 ohms. For example, the box or package says the coil should be 0.3 ohm, but if you measure it with an ohm reader or resistance meter in a regulated mod and its off by 0.2 ohm its considered to be within "acceptable tolerances" by the manufacturer.

To me, that may be acceptable if you are using a regulated mod because the regulator chip won't fire if the resistance is too low to be safe. However, that would be unacceptable if using an unregulated mechanical mod because 0.1 ohm is probably too low for most batteries. A mech mod doesn't have a safety feature to prevent firing an unsafe coil because it doesn't have a regulating chip.

Coils will also gradually increase in resistance as they age and collect byproducts of unvaporized sugars and flavoring agents.

• Useful

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thank you! I believe you are correct especially since i have an expensive brand new mod...
Would it be to much to ask if you can explain to me what the problem might be and how i may correct it?
Thanks in adavance.
What mod, tank, and coil. Hard to troubleshoot without that info.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you... may i ask what are hot spots?
When a coil is fired, a specific part of that coil may have what's called a "hot spot", which is a short. That spot will glow much brighter than the rest of the wire. Normally, a coil should start to brighten in the middle of the coil and spread wide in both directions in brightness.

In the above video, the user "plays" with the coil using tweezers. Notice that the tweezers are ceramic tipped. If you touch the coil without ceramic tweezers you'll create a hard short of the battery when you fire the coil.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
A hot spot (short) would show as lower resistance (ohms) not higher. If it is multi-coil I suspect one of the coils is broken or not making a solid connection for some reason. The additional resistance could also be in the 510 connection (thread connection between atomizer & mod) try cleaning both with alcohol.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Thanks in adavance.

The coil wouldn't happen to be a SMOK branded one, would it? I rarely use drop in coils anymore but they can be all over the place some of the .15 coils would be .13 to .20 and they would also (as coils do) change resistance during use, generally up so .15 would become .18.

Drop in coils are mass made and cheap (to make, not always to buy, lol) so QC can be hit or miss. So your coil could just have been part of a bad batch or maybe they make a .9 coil and put it in the wrong coil head and/or packaging.

It could be a multi coil head and lost a coil (or more).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thx ....nah its a coil for an rta.... (that meens its not drop in right? Or am i mistaken?)
Well, technically a RTA coil is considered "rebuildable". But you can purchase "pre-made" rebuildable coils for RTA, and I'd consider those "drop in".

prebuilt-coils-clapton-heating-wires-for.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread