Reads different resistance than the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Thx ....nah its a coil for an rta.... (that meens its not drop in right? Or am i mistaken?)

tanks come with just coils you screw in (coil head), decks that you build coils (or buy pre-wound) bolt in and wick and then some have both regular coil heads and a deck where you can build your own.
upload_2018-1-25_13-36-18.jpeg

Coil Head ^

upload_2018-1-25_13-37-3.jpeg

Rebuildable Coil Deck ^

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Is it a problem to build my own? I guess i have to see what i like first... so probably gotta get a few prebuilt first no?
Not a problem at all. Much more cost effective than prebuilt coils. Wire and wick materials are very cheap.

It is a learning skill, but I'm sure not too complicated for you. Basically, once you have found your "sweet spot" in coil resistance you use a coil winding calculating tool like Steam Engine. You manually input the wire type, wire gauge, choose single or dual coils, target resistance, and coil diameter and the tool calculates how many wraps to make.

Tools:
  • Resistance wire – kanthal, stainless steel, nickel, nichrome, etc.
  • Flush wire cutters – wire cutters that can cut close in small spaces
  • Tweezers – preferably ceramic tipped, to pinch your coils while pulsing
  • Needle nosed pliers - used to pull/straighten your wire
  • Scissors - to trim you cotton wick
  • An ohm reader - or a mod that accurately measures coil resistance
  • Small metal rods – a precision screwdriver set, or coiling tool
  • Organic cotton – or whichever wicking material you prefer
  • A coil jig – it can make your life a little easier than the precision screwdrivers

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Is it a problem to build my own? I guess i have to see what i like first... so probably gotta get a few prebuilt first no?
Nope, I've been using pre made coils myself (3mm fused claptons) i have the tools to roll my own but i don't need/feel like making em. You have options you just have to find what you like most.
I for one prefer what i use right now they're .21 0hm firing at 62 watts and i get tons of flavor. Some prefer stainless or whatever material i like claptons, just too much hassle building them imo.

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread