Status
Not open for further replies.

tmel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Denver, CO
Hi guys,

I'll be receiving 2 feet of 3mm RxW today and after wasting my combo pack, I wanted to get some advice.

My current plan is to dual 5 wraps of 26G around a 7/64 mandrel, is this the best ID for 3mm RxW? I remember seeing that 7/64 is good and 1/18th is good for higher VG liquid.

I am using an Odin and my main concern is coming from the cleaning and maintenance of this stuff when using a coil with touching wraps. I want to get myself to a spot where as I NEVER take the RxW out of my Odin. What is the proper cleaning method? Dry burn/blow/dry burn/blow on it?

Should I rinse it with water? Will it be safe to torch the RxW while still installed in my Odin? How will the black stuff from the coil get burned off if it's covered up by the coil?

Long and short, I want to use RxW, I am tired of re-wicking my cotton, but I also don't want to end up with frayed broken pieces of RxW after just 2 days use. :/

Would spaced wraps work better? Just a little worried about space in my Odin with spaced wraps..

Last edited:

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
I can't comment on using the 3mm, from experience, but I do know a little bit about it, and I've been using the 2mm "slim" rxw for about a week...

The 7/64" (~2.78mm) mandrel should be a good size fit, especially when using thicker VG, but I've read that a 2.5mm mandrel is about the perfect fit for getting the most out of the wick. There was some talk about where to get a 2.5mm mandrel, so maybe someone else can provide a link...(if not, search in the rxw thread)... I've learned that the readyxwick likes a tight fit, but not too tight that it chokes off the inner flow...

Here's what Ive been using for the past week, with the 2mm rxw, getting great results:

-Dual 28g, 1/16" ID, 7 wrap micro coils (tensioned wrapped- and all wraps touching). I built this using the artistic wire coil gizmo.
-Installed coils on a slant, they net out to 0.5ohms.

-I pulsed the coils, to make sure I got rid of hot legs by sliding in a mandrel that is smaller than the coil... like super_x does in his odin build videos...cueing the coil...

-Cut the rxw at a 45, using wire cutters, then turned it into the coil to get it where it should go, then...cut it off about 1mm past the coil.

-Inserted the smallest mandrel from the coil gizmo, into the center of the wick, and lightly slid it through to the inside of the coil and past (thanks FB)... (when using the 3mm, a 2mm mandrel or something even smaller maybe? you don't want to damage the inside of the wick, so use something with a blunt end)

-Squonked and vaped for two days.

To clean:
-Lightly ran water over the entire rda for a few seconds. Blow off water.
-Dry burned, pulsing for about 5 seconds while blowing on the coil, until clean. I let the coils glow red and then thats it...

Im pretty new at this, and I know a lot of people do it differently, but its my understanding that this method is probably the most effecient/easiest.

I dont touch the wick or coil once installed. Just a quick rinse, then dry burn. I usually let the wick dry for a half hour, but I don't think its really necessary... rinsing with water probably isnt either... But it makes sense and works for me...

I haven't tried using a torch yet, and I don't think Im going to...unless the wick and coil are getting rings, or this method no longer gets the wick/coil to working like it should. Any you only want to use the very tip of the torch.

Ive read in the big rxw thread, that even if the wick doesnt look perfectly white, its probably going to function perfectly fine, once rinsed and dry-burned...or torched... And the coil is still efficient.

The most important thing is probably getting a good coil set and wicked...then to clean it up is the easy part...its working great for me. Hope this helps, even though Im new at using it, Ive read the whole rxw thread... and Ive learned a lot :D

Ill post some pics if you want em of my 2mm/odin dealeo. Just let me know...

Last edited:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i use the 3mm and a 7/64" drill bit. I use 26g kanthal typically, but they are spaced coils. The wick initially feels fairly loose in there; it'll slide fairly freely.

When i clean mine (which is at best once a week and more likely once every 2), i dry burn the coils a bit and then clean the atty under a running faucet with an old toothbrush to get rid of a lot of the crap. Another quick dry burn and i can get the wick out without wrecking it.

I stick a pin thru it and blowtorch it, with the torch 6 inches away until it returns to white. I don't blast the living daylights out of it like it were a piece of wire!

Dip one end of the wick in a bit of liquid (or if you're an animal like me just spit on it) and screw the wick back in (or make new coils and re-use the wick) and carry on.

T

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
This response is not meant to offend anyone here and if I have offended you, I apologize in advance...

Just curious here, but why do we need a RxW rd2 thread? It doesn't look like the other was closed... It even has all the answers to your questions...in at least the last 5 pages or so... Again, just curious, but it would be best to have all info in the same thread so everyone can keep up...

In case you couldn't find the thread, here's a link... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/539791-readyxwick-non-cotton-people.html

tmel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Denver, CO
"This response is not meant to offend anyone here and if I have offended you, I apologize in advance..."

Thank you for the advice everyone! I really did not want to post in a 130+ page thread with some specific questions to what I was trying to do.

So...I slid a mandel through my 3mm RxW and tried to make a 5 wrap spaced coil, it didn't work out too well..either wraps got jacked up or it was too tight or I pulled the coil off the RxW trying to make sure it wasn't too tight. After about 3ft of kanthal, I gave up on that.

Went back to my easy coil jig and made 2 5 wrap 26g 7/64 ID coils, I got the RxW in just fine, its pretty loose in there and it almost slid out when I was pushing my coils down in the Odin. It's vaping great and the flavor is awesome, but I am still not very happy with it.

Gonna run this as long as I can before it goes south and I have to try and dry burn it, will probabaly end up rebuilding it after that.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
"This response is not meant to offend anyone here and if I have offended you, I apologize in advance..."

Thank you for the advice everyone! I really did not want to post in a 130+ page thread with some specific questions to what I was trying to do.

So...I slid a mandel through my 3mm RxW and tried to make a 5 wrap spaced coil, it didn't work out too well..either wraps got jacked up or it was too tight or I pulled the coil off the RxW trying to make sure it wasn't too tight. After about 3ft of kanthal, I gave up on that.

Went back to my easy coil jig and made 2 5 wrap 26g 7/64 ID coils, I got the RxW in just fine, its pretty loose in there and it almost slid out when I was pushing my coils down in the Odin. It's vaping great and the flavor is awesome, but I am still not very happy with it.

Gonna run this as long as I can before it goes south and I have to try and dry burn it, will probabaly end up rebuilding it after that.

So, curiosity is still getting the better part of me... If its vaping great and the flavor is awesome, why are you not happy? Aren't those 2 of the most important factors in what we are looking for in vaping? If you had taken the time to read the other thread, you would already have all the answers to your questions...

If I might add a few suggestions, switch to the 2mm RxW, (micro coils), as it is the most popular and easiest to use for optimal performance. It's just better than 3mm. This is not speculation, it is fact... Again, read the other thread and that will be answered. Over and over again... Doesn't matter what you are vaping, the coils will need to be cleaned and dry burned every 2-4 days if you are expecting optimal performance. There is no water required prior to, during, or after a dry burn either. You simply pulse the device in bursts, usually 2-5 seconds at a time and the coils will burn off any gunk and residue that is on the coils and clean the wick. The dry burning can sometimes be a little longer, depending on how gunked up the coils are and how long the wicks are. If you set up a routine to clean your coils and RxW on a regular basis, you will experience a very low maintenance, highly satisfying vape as quite a few of us have so far in the past year now...

I would suggest 1/16" micro coils 26g 7/8 tension wrapped to vape in the same ball park as to where you are now... Just a suggestion... There is plenty of room in the Odin for these. I would know this, because I have vaped that setup on mine... I am not on a 2mm crusade here, just pointing out that it merely has much better results than the 3mm does... The majority of 3mm users I have seen post that have been successful, vape unflavored liquid, and that has the least problems of most liquids out there. I don't recall what liquid you vape...

There are more people subscribed to that thread other than REOnauts, that use the product, are quite intelligent, and very knowledgeable about RxW in general... Here's the link again if you missed it the first time I posted it...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/539791-readyxwick-non-cotton-people.html

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
+1 what Muzic said!!
As I previously mentioned ( in the other thread #1 ) I use 2mm RxW on RM2s and a Hornet with 16guage luer needle 7/8 wraps as well. My go to setup on all mine and my lady's REOs. I have had them on for over a month with no issues!! I don't mess with trying to take out the wick to clean just pulse dry burn coil every couple days to clean coil and burn off residue in wick under the coil. I also take my little butane pipe lighter and torch the whole wick and coil while it's still mounted on the REO. Just a few passes to burn off any blackening on the coil ends. can slide the coil slightly in each direction to get the under coil portion without taking out completly. Gets nice & white again. No rinsing, no water, no taking out coil and reinserting,no damage to atty or Mod while simple quick passes with mini torch!
Hope you find whatever makes you happy other than "a great vape and awesome flavor"? :)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I want to thank you all for the tips here. I have intermittently fought with this stuff for months; I wanted to use it for the durability. I gave up several times but always would read new threads and posts with hope for change. Today, I had the first true success, threaded the wick easily [I mean easily] the first time. The ReadyXWick threaded into the coil like a finely made nut and bolt.
I think the suggestion that I use clippers as opposed to scissors and two cuts to a center point rather than one 45 degree angle is the answer. This may have been mentioned several times before but, today, it registered with my feeble mind. The Reo is vaping great and I am looking forward to the first dry burn of the coil with the wick in place.
:toast:

Cheers to you all!

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Well I got two of my Odins loaded up with some 3mm and they are vaping just as good as the 2mm. I used a 7/64 drill bit with 7 wraps of 28g on one and 6 wraps on the second one, dual coils on both, for a .76ohm total on the first and a .63 ohm total on the second. My coils aren't as tight and perfect as I would get on the gizmo but there is no mandrel with the gizmo that would work for the 3mm RxW. I wish there was. The 3mm screwed right into the coils though, easy peasy, the 7/64 really is the perfect size for the 3mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread