Really easy and effective way to solder negative atty connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumoman25

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2011
South Dakota
Just thought I'd give you guys a little tip on soldering the negative connection for your homemade attys.

If you've tried to solder your negative connection with a cheapy little soldering iron from walmart or radio shack, you know that it's next to impossible. Not to mention the connection you MIGHT achieve will be absolute crap. This is because the atty connector is composed of a fairly decent chunk of brass, usually chrome plated, which absorbs and dissipates heat pretty well. One way to rectify this is to use a soldering iron capable of reaching temperatures that will allow you to solder such a large chunk of brass. But I didn't feel like getting a better soldering iron.

The solution is a set of "helping hands" and a tea candle. Clamp the connector in 1 jaw and the post of your choice in the other, then arrange it so that the connector sits above the candle. Light the candle, then move the connector up away from it so that the flame isn't touching the brass, but is still rather close. Wait a few seconds then shove your solder down in that bad boy. Not only is this ridiculously easy to do, but the connection I got was outstanding.

Hope this helps some of you if you're having trouble like I was, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread