Really frustrated and could use some help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
Sorry for the vague topic. I couldn't even decide which section of the forum would be best to post this cry for help in.

I know you've all seen a lot of threads that talk about people getting a burnt plastic or burnt rubber taste, and although this is one of them I think / hope it will be different because I'm going to get really specific & detailed regarding the issue that's driving me insane. I've been researching this problem for a long time and have read tons of discussions (here on ECF and other places as well) about it and have yet to find a solution to a problem I'm running into.

I know I'm about to provide probably a ton of info and this is a going be a long post, but I have a feeling that the only way I'm every gonna get to the bottom of my issue is if I provide really detailed info. Hope I don't lose you along the way here...

Preface - I'm 46, been vaping for 12 months, quit analogues last March after 30 years of pack-a-day. vaping saved from those nasty cigs and I just love everything about vaping. What started as my last desperate attempt to quit cigarettes has not only worked, but also blossomed into an awesome really enjoyable hobby as well. I'm not a dripper (yet lol), I use clearomizers, but I'm always stoked about vaping!

Hardware - I started out with an iTaste VV3 with basic EVOD, then over the course of the past year acquired a variety of gear - for batteries I have Innokin iTaste VV 3 and VV 4, iTaste SVD, Eleaf iStick 20w, and for tanks I have Kangertech EVOD / EVOD GLASS / T3S / MT3S / Protank Mini 2 & 3 / EMOW, and Aspire Nautilus full size, and Nautilus Mini. In the Kanger tanks I've used the basic 2.2ohm coils for EVOD and Pro Mini's, the upgraded Kanger 1.8ohm BDC's for EVOD Glass and MOW, and in the Aspire 1.8ohm BVC's for my Nautilus and Nautilus mini.

Juice - I've tried a variety from about 8 brands ranging from a couple that are common names (and not so good IMO) all the way to very exclusive / small domestic USA makers that are absolutely delicious and amazing. I started out with mostly 50vg/50pg 16mg nic, quickly went to 70vg/30pg, and I've been to to 6mg nic for almost 2 months now. Really stoked about the progress there btw...

OK, so if you're still with me now you have a good idea of my experience level and the gear I'm used to using. I think that info is going to be relevant to this.

Now the basic problem that is driving me INSANE with frustration is this - seems not matter what I do, I get a burnt / melted plastic / rubber taste with my EVODs and T3S and even Protank Minis, even on an iTaste VV 3 or 4 set to the lowest wattage and lowest voltage modes using genuine Kanger BCC / BDC coils. I verify all of my hardware to be genuine and buy from good vendors.

I can take the same exact juices and vape them in my Nautilus / Nautilus Mini with BVC's on my SVD and iStick at anywhere from 7 watts all the way up to 11 watts with some, and the experience is fantastic and delicious, reliably!

But when I want to use my EVOD Glass or T3S or Protank Minis on an iTaste VV , even with the power set as low as it will possibly go, I get that burning plastic rubber taste within 2 puffs. It's not dry hits.. I've had those, and this tastes different. I've even pulled the head off to examine the rubber grommet on the coils many times expecting to see it melted to the post or something.

But nope... the wicks are fine, the grommet is fine, no signs of any burning. I just don't get it.

In fact the thing that finally drove me insane enough to come here and write this huge post begging for help is that today I sat down with a brand new EVOD Glass with the new upgrade BDC's and a brand new regular EVOD with standard BSC's (after letting them steep with juice overnight even) and tried them on my Eleaf iStick (thinking maybe the iTaste VV's could be the problem) I'll be damned if the same thing isn't happening with the regular EVOD/BSC's at low volts / low watts. Sitting here right now with an EVOD on iStick set down to 4 watts and I taste melting rubber. I can try going even lower on the power but then as you know I'm missing the flavor of the juice and the hits suck. To confuse me even more, the EVOD Glass is OK up to around 6 watts on the iStick, but not at 6 watts on the iTaste VV!

I'm exasperated and hoping that someone here knows what's really going on.

Not just for my own benefit, but I'm supposed to be helping a friend quit analogues and try vaping next week and he's really broke financially so I was hoping to give him one of my iTaste VV 3's and a couple of my EVOD & T3S tanks to get started with. And as you all know, it's a crucial turning point when the long-time analogue smoker tries their first vape - it needs to be delicious and amazing, because if it tastes like burning rubber then their gonna go right back to cigs within a day.

So I'm asking please, for the love of all things vapor, can someone please try to help me figure out what's up with this situation?

I'll be forever grateful for any attempts to help stop this torture lol!

In the meantime I've switched back over to my iStick with Nautilus Mini BVC and favorite juice at 9 watts and wow... SO good...

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply or even just read this huge a** post.

Jovey

Jan 24, 2015
within my own thoughts....
Can't say i offer you much hope, but i did read your post and felt your frustration. The only thing that makes sense to me is that something is definitely wrong with the coils. Only because you've tested your ejuice out on other mods and it always comes back to the taste your getting. So, from what i've experienced myself so far....i'd think it would be a coil issue.

However, like i said....i'm a newbie still, but just wanted to let you know my two cents....plus, if i could give you an air hug, i would! Hope someone with more experience here can solve your issues...but don't give up, i'm sure you'll find a solution! :)

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
Thank you Ky Girl! For your thoughts and trying to help and also the virtual hug :) I needed that.

Bad coils would make sense, if it weren't for the fact that this has been an ongoing issue for a long time and I'm using genuine coils from two completely different vendors and the Kanger scratchoff codes check out proper on the site.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
When I was using my Evod and protanks, I thought it the same as you. I just moved up to Nauties on an MVP2 and things seemed a lot better. But, at the time, I thought it was my taste buds. But, I was getting my nic need.

After about a month, I stepped up from the Evod/protanks and things were much better. I have found the best flavor with rebuildables and all of my mods are at a better level.

I just no longer recommend them for beginning vapers.

Jovey

Jan 24, 2015
within my own thoughts....
Thank you Ky Girl! For your thoughts and trying to help and also the virtual hug :) I needed that.

Bad coils would make sense, if it weren't for the fact that this has been an ongoing issue for a long time and I'm using genuine coils from two completely different vendors and the Kanger scratchoff codes check out proper on the site.

Yeah, i've noticed though the big vendors of the BVC's and BDC's are in competition and constantly seems to change the wicking material, etc. And i've been having major issues with the newer (larger hole) BVC's by Aspire, i'm hanging on to hope that they'll fix the flooding issues on the 1.8's very soon. I love my nautilus mini and am not giving up hope yet on it, but not only was i suffering the nasty burnt taste, but the coils was also flooding and pushing juice up through the chimney and into my mouth. The newer coils was only lasting me a few days, IF that!

You may want to contact the vendor and let them know what's going on and also let the Manufacture know what's happening. I know the frustration that comes from getting nasty tasting eliquid, so i'm on a mission to get the great vape i once did before they started "improving" the BVC coils.

Not saying that is definitely your issue, but it sure seems like it....i'd be interested to hear others input on this, because i'm still learning something new every day in regards to vaping!

Edit: Just wanted to add...all the issues i've suffered thus far....it's pushed me even faster into learning on how to do rebuildable coils. Not quite ready for it yet, but i am doing all the research i can. Something you may wish to consider later on.

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
The problem with the Kanger coils is the rubber insulator and yes, it does taste horrible. :mad:

I rebuild mine using a silicone insulator that I get here Resistance Coil Insulator 10 Pack (CE Type Atty's, eg. Protank, Evod,T | Lightning Vapes Take a look at the pictures. The small picture on the right (click on it) is silicone. The other pictures are the rubber ones.

I thought that Kanger had switched to using the silicone insulators but I don't know for sure. If so, you may have old stock.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Didn't read it all, but the burnt rubber taste is almost always caused by a melting rubber insulator on the bottom of those clearo coil heads. This is why a lot of companies have went to silicone insulators.

When I first started vaping with some random Chinese CE4 style clearo, I also experienced this and it was awful. Took me a while but I figured out what it was. Once that flavor is there, it's like a skunk and hard to get rid of.

Honestly, in 2015 there is zero reason to use those cheap ego-style clearos anymore. Some of them are OK like the EVOD, Protank, and a few others, but I must ask "why?" Why bother with them when there are much higher quality tanks out there now? Do yourself a favor and just stop using those cheapo clearos. Go buy yourself a Kanger subtank mini and be happy.

You don't have to rebuild anymore to get a quality vape. If you don't want to sub-ohm, that's fine -- these tanks come with a 1.2 coil. The subtank should be THE tank that every noob walks out of a vape shop with from DAY ONE. There's zero reason for it not to be. A noob can pop the 1.2 coil in and vape it all day and be happy. When he gets ready, he can even rebuild with it with the RBA section.

PhillyMike

Nov 29, 2014
PA
i tried evods like 4 times. when i was first starting out. the windows(where you see the juice) are glued in. so its possible you could be tasting the glue? mine always broke from squeezing the tank to much and the windows would just fall out. are you using a tank cracking juice? i had an orange flavored ejuice that use to re-act with plastic tanks and i would get a nasty melting plastic like taste. at any watts/volts. its odd your getting it with the protanks. what model protank are you using? with the protank2 i use to get a nasty weird taste from the old style heads, with the sillicone cap or the flavor wicks.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
I work at a vape store and too have had a great deal of frustration overcoming the learning curve to a satisfying, relatively hassle-free vape (I own just about all the sub-ohm tanks and primarily drip now). But that doesn't keep me from empathizing with your plight 100%.

Lots of newer vapers seem to naturally gravitate toward the size and apparent simplicity of the Evod-style tanks and battery kits. It's just good practice not to try to sway new customers away from what appeals to them (again, both for simplicity and form-factor). I always cringe a little inside selling an Evod kit because I remember well the trials I had with Evod tanks and Mini Protanks. However, I also have some customers who started Vaping a ~year or so ago and they still come in to buy more Evod tanks and Protank coils, so those devices must be working well for some.

While I don't have better advice to give you than you've already been given, maybe I could recommend the new Eleaf GS Air tanks. I think the price point both online and in stores is relatively close to that of the Evods, and thus far I haven't heard any complaints about them. The tanks are very sleek, reminiscent of a Protank, in my opinion, and they offer 1.5 OHM coils.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a solution soon. :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The symptoms point to the kanger coil heads; problem would be the grommet at the bottom.
I'm seen some that come with a cream colored more brittle grommet; and newer ones that come with a clear soft silicone type grommet.
The two leads from the coil wires comes into contact with the grommet, one on the inside and one on the outside of the grommet, and when they get too hot they will burn the grommet; once burnt, you might get a burnt taste from that coil for quite some time.

If you dry burn your coils, some degree of burning of the grommet will likely happen;

You won't see the burning from the outside; you will see it if you attempt to recoil the head when you take the grommet out and you see the two black lines, one on the inside and one on the outside of the grommet.

You mentioned drippers; after a whole year and all that stuff already, you should go pick yourself up a dripper; no need to worry about subohm or big clouds or high power; it's a lot simpler than a tank, so unlike a tank where you might find yourself scratching your head wondering 'what the heck is wrong with this thing', with a dripper everything is just so inyourface simple.

As for the istick it uses 'mean' instead of 'rms' for it's calculations so the numbers it reports on the screen are wrong for voltage and wattage.

MoonSparkle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
North Carolina
You got great advice here and don't have much to add but I just wanted to point out that the istick 20w read in mean instead of rms (which is why it may feel overpowered). The 30w and 50w does use rms as it should. I would suggest when you can that if you like the istick, you pick up and use one of those so you know what you are actually vaping at when using it.

If you already know this, then great, but still posting this for any lurkers who may not be aware. :)

Yeah, i've noticed though the big vendors of the BVC's and BDC's are in competition and constantly seems to change the wicking material, etc. And i've been having major issues with the newer (larger hole) BVC's by Aspire, i'm hanging on to hope that they'll fix the flooding issues on the 1.8's very soon. I love my nautilus mini and am not giving up hope yet on it, but not only was i suffering the nasty burnt taste, but the coils was also flooding and pushing juice up through the chimney and into my mouth. The newer coils was only lasting me a few days, IF that!

You may want to contact the vendor and let them know what's going on and also let the Manufacture know what's happening. I know the frustration that comes from getting nasty tasting eliquid, so i'm on a mission to get the great vape i once did before they started "improving" the BVC coils.

Not saying that is definitely your issue, but it sure seems like it....i'd be interested to hear others input on this, because i'm still learning something new every day in regards to vaping!

Edit: Just wanted to add...all the issues i've suffered thus far....it's pushed me even faster into learning on how to do rebuildable coils. Not quite ready for it yet, but i am doing all the research i can. Something you may wish to consider later on.

You will be so glad when you finally decide to make the switch to rebuildable. I started with a kayfun on my 3rd day of vaping and haven't looked back. You're as ready as your going to be lol. Practice makes perfect. I would recommend at least a 30 watt device to fully enjoy it though. Then the sky is the limit. In two months I have graduated to a number of different rda's and rta's as well as made several of my own mech mods and variable mods. My latest variable can push 220 watts. Granted I only run at 60 to 100 on average. Flavor flavor flavor. And clouds galore. And I'm down to 3mg due to the insane amount of vapor production. Live long and vape on

PhillyMike

Nov 29, 2014
PA
I work at a vape store and too have had a great deal of frustration overcoming the learning curve to a satisfying, relatively hassle-free vape (I own just about all the sub-ohm tanks and primarily drip now). But that doesn't keep me from empathizing with your plight 100%.

Lots of newer vapers seem to naturally gravitate toward the size and apparent simplicity of the Evod-style tanks and battery kits. It's just good practice not to try to sway new customers away from what appeals to them (again, both for simplicity and form-factor). I always cringe a little inside selling an Evod kit because I remember well the trials I had with Evod tanks and Mini Protanks. However, I also have some customers who started Vaping a ~year or so ago and they still come in to buy more Evod tanks and Protank coils, so those devices must be working well for some.

While I don't have better advice to give you than you've already been given, maybe I could recommend the new Eleaf GS Air tanks. I think the price point both online and in stores is relatively close to that of the Evods, and thus far I haven't heard any complaints about them. The tanks are very sleek, reminiscent of a Protank, in my opinion, and they offer 1.5 OHM coils.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a solution soon. :)

its amazing how far the tanks have changed since back in the days of evods&protanks.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA

Thanks Jovey, but I'm guessing the length of my original posts may have been confusing.

I experience the opposite of you - I get great results from my Nautilus Mini with BVC - no flooding, no burnt plastic taste, just great vaping. Strange eh?

The issue I'm experiencing is only with genuine Kanger EVOD / T3S / Mini Protank with the genuine Kanger bottom single coils made for those units.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
The problem with the Kanger coils is the rubber insulator and yes, it does taste horrible. :mad:

I rebuild mine using a silicone insulator that I get here Resistance Coil Insulator 10 Pack (CE Type Atty's, eg. Protank, Evod,T | Lightning Vapes Take a look at the pictures. The small picture on the right (click on it) is silicone. The other pictures are the rubber ones.

I thought that Kanger had switched to using the silicone insulators but I don't know for sure. If so, you may have old stock.

Thank you Rickb119. I can confirm that my Kanger coils are the new style with the softer semi-clear silicone (not solid white rubber) grommets.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
When I was using my Evod and protanks, I thought it the same as you. I just moved up to Nauties on an MVP2 and things seemed a lot better. But, at the time, I thought it was my taste buds. But, I was getting my nic need.

After about a month, I stepped up from the Evod/protanks and things were much better. I have found the best flavor with rebuildables and all of my mods are at a better level.

I just no longer recommend them for beginning vapers.

Thanks Frenchfry1942. I agree that I wouldn't personally recommend the smaller more economical Kanger tanks normally anymore either since the experience I get from things like Nautilus Mini with BVC is so much better, but I'm in a situation where I already have EVODs / Mini Protanks / iTaste VV bats that I don't want to just throw away and in fact they're all I have handy to give to my friend who is just about to get started and make the switch from analogues. I'd love to be able to afford to give him nicer more expensive gear like my mini boxes and Nautilus tanks, but I'm not rich and he's broke and those are for me ;)

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
i tried evods like 4 times. when i was first starting out. the windows(where you see the juice) are glued in. so its possible you could be tasting the glue? mine always broke from squeezing the tank to much and the windows would just fall out. are you using a tank cracking juice? i had an orange flavored ejuice that use to re-act with plastic tanks and i would get a nasty melting plastic like taste. at any watts/volts. its odd your getting it with the protanks. what model protank are you using? with the protank2 i use to get a nasty weird taste from the old style heads, with the sillicone cap or the flavor wicks.

Thanks PhillyMike. You have me wondering about the glue thing. I'm not having problems with any cracking or breaking, and I only use "plastic-friendly" juice in EVODs. No citrus or menthol, just some sweet dessert and mild tobacco flavors. The Protanks I have are Mini Protank 2. The coils for both are genuine Kanger with the silicone grommet above the wicks.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
The 20w Istick doesn't regulate well. Set it about 1 watt lower than other equipment.

Thanks r77r7r. Good to know. The burnt plastic taste I'm experiencing on the EVOD / T3S also happens with iTaste VV3 and VV4 set to their lowest power. I do set my iStick to low power as well and the same thing occurs with those tanks and BSC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread