Really need help with my first mechanical mod :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy112790

Feb 2, 2013
Sultan Wa
Ok so far I have ordered these

SIGELEI Telescopic Mechanical Bottom Firing Mod - Number 19 [gv-SigeleiTelescopic-Number19] - $49.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1341105
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1114000
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1400500

Did I get the wrong batterys? I have been looking around and people say to run protected and then I see people saying to run IMR high drain but they are not protected. The ones I have ordered have a max discharge rate of 2c = 6.8 amps so any coil resistance.7+ at 4.2 volts would be safe according to ohms law calculator? And how do I check for shorts, can I just use a multimeter on the atomizer? thanks :p

tiggy

Aug 15, 2013
Texas
I just picked up a k101. I am loving it. The kit comes with the telescoping mod, along with 2 batteries (18650 and 18450), 2 drip carto atomizers, a cover that screws on like an ego cone threading, and a very nice metal drip tip. I absolutely love it. I am using the IGO-L rba single wrapped coil and it produces clouds. The kit cost me 55 bucks from some guy on craigslist. could differ at other places.

EDIT: I found it cheaper online then i did on craigslist.
New EMPIRE Style KAMRY K101 R-Scope Telescopic Mod - BLUE [gv-KamryK101RSCOPE-BLUE] - $49.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Vape on :)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Here's a bit of battery information.

"Use only protected batteries or better yet, use safe chemistry batteries

In our market today, there are many kinds of batteries that can be used in a mechanical mod.

Two most popular battery types used in mods are ICR (LiCo02) and IMR(LiMn) / IMR hybrids. Both of these are lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries.

In terms of use, technically, any of these can be used on any device that requires a 3.7volt power source, including your mechanical mods. But not all are suitable.

In terms of safety the difference between the two (ICR and IMR) is the chemical composition in these batteries. ICR can catch fire at a faster rate than IMRs because they are simply more combustible. ICR are also generally known to stress more easily than IMR.

There are two types of ICR batteries, protected and unprotected. Never use unprotected ICR in any mechanical mod as it does not have any safety mechanism in them.

Protected ICR batteries have a basic layer of protection that prevents your batteries from shorts and over discharge problems. Protected ICR with a C rating of 2 amps or more can be used in mechanical mods.

IMRs however, has a more stabler chemistry, and won't likely to catch fire or explode as easily as an ICR can. They do not require protection, and often sold without it. These are also suitable for mechanical mods.

You may ask, what is better an IMR battery or an protected ICR battery?

The general consensus in the vaping community is that when in doubt, IMR is better for mechanical mods. The reasoning is, although IMR has no protection circuit, by nature of their chemical composition, they are safer than ICR with a protection circuit. Protected ICR batteries have a history of their protection system failing, specially with the cheaper ones. In fact, we have read more incidents of cheaper protected ICR batteries venting flames than IMRs.

An analogy to this is that a protected ICR is like a gun with the safety switch turned on, and an IMR is a gun someone filled with rubber bullets. Both guns can hurt but one is more hazardous."

speedy112790

Feb 2, 2013
Sultan Wa
Here's a bit of battery information.

"Use only protected batteries or better yet, use safe chemistry batteries

In our market today, there are many kinds of batteries that can be used in a mechanical mod.

Two most popular battery types used in mods are ICR (LiCo02) and IMR(LiMn) / IMR hybrids. Both of these are lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries.

In terms of use, technically, any of these can be used on any device that requires a 3.7volt power source, including your mechanical mods. But not all are suitable.

In terms of safety the difference between the two (ICR and IMR) is the chemical composition in these batteries. ICR can catch fire at a faster rate than IMRs because they are simply more combustible. ICR are also generally known to stress more easily than IMR.

There are two types of ICR batteries, protected and unprotected. Never use unprotected ICR in any mechanical mod as it does not have any safety mechanism in them.

Protected ICR batteries have a basic layer of protection that prevents your batteries from shorts and over discharge problems. Protected ICR with a C rating of 2 amps or more can be used in mechanical mods.

IMRs however, has a more stabler chemistry, and won't likely to catch fire or explode as easily as an ICR can. They do not require protection, and often sold without it. These are also suitable for mechanical mods.

You may ask, what is better an IMR battery or an protected ICR battery?

The general consensus in the vaping community is that when in doubt, IMR is better for mechanical mods. The reasoning is, although IMR has no protection circuit, by nature of their chemical composition, they are safer than ICR with a protection circuit. Protected ICR batteries have a history of their protection system failing, specially with the cheaper ones. In fact, we have read more incidents of cheaper protected ICR batteries venting flames than IMRs.

An analogy to this is that a protected ICR is like a gun with the safety switch turned on, and an IMR is a gun someone filled with rubber bullets. Both guns can hurt but one is more hazardous."

Thanks for the info, Guess Ill pick up some IMR's once I find a good set of them but Ill run with the panasonics I got until then :p

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I didn't even see the point of mechanicals until recently. I was like, "Bigger batteries are good, but bigger batteries+ features is better."
Then I started looking at what made my vape more enjoyable. I like a mild throat hit and an absolute cloud. I want to chase clouds. Can't go sub-ohm on a regulated device.

That being said, I don't know which one I want. I def like the look of the K101 better than the Sigelei #19, but there are more out there. Suggestions? Relatively cheap suggestions please, I'm effing broke.

speedy112790

Feb 2, 2013
Sultan Wa

Valhalla17

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Houston, TX, USA
Ok so far I have ordered these

SIGELEI Telescopic Mechanical Bottom Firing Mod - Number 19 [gv-SigeleiTelescopic-Number19] - $49.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1341105
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1114000
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1400500

Did I get the wrong batterys? I have been looking around and people say to run protected and then I see people saying to run IMR high drain but they are not protected. The ones I have ordered have a max discharge rate of 2c = 6.8 amps so any coil resistance.7+ at 4.2 volts would be safe according to ohms law calculator? And how do I check for shorts, can I just use a multimeter on the atomizer? thanks :p

I personally have all of the above except the charger. That you may want to upgrade, as you can, to a smart changer. Those batts will work fine, however if you are going to go with sub ohming I would go with AW IMR 1600 or 2000 mAh. The circuitry actually kicked in on mine on lower ohm wraps with no short. Those pannys are thicker than normal batteries too so they are a tight fit in some mods. Not an issue with the 19. Enjoy!!!

mentaleeill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2013
jackson, nj
I didn't even see the point of mechanicals until recently. I was like, "Bigger batteries are good, but bigger batteries+ features is better."
Then I started looking at what made my vape more enjoyable. I like a mild throat hit and an absolute cloud. I want to chase clouds. Can't go sub-ohm on a regulated device.

That being said, I don't know which one I want. I def like the look of the K101 better than the Sigelei #19, but there are more out there. Suggestions? Relatively cheap suggestions please, I'm effing broke.

i too felt this way until i found out about micro coils. i built my first one last night, 10 wraps of 28 gauge kanthal( came out to 2 ohms), cotton wick, drilled out the air hole in my atty, and upped the wattage on my vamo. i get great flavor, a nice throat hit, and clouds of vape.
that being said, i'm still waiting for the kts that i ordered, and aw imr 18650's to get here. this vaping thing really came to be an enjoyable hobby, as i like tinkering with stuff.

speedy112790

Feb 2, 2013
Sultan Wa

Valhalla17

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Houston, TX, USA
the AW 18650 imrs are unprotected tho? I thought its unsafe to use ??? I really want these right here tho but they are sold out D: eFest Protected 18650 3400mah 3.7v High Discharge Performance [gv-EFEST-PROT18650-3400mah] - $14.99 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

cant find them anywhere and I don't want to order from over seas because I need them fast lol

The AW IMR's are "safe chemistry" high drain batteries. As such have a higher amp discharge rate which is why they don't have or need circuitry. So says the popular convention, and I've seen nothing with mine to dispute that.

Valhalla17

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Houston, TX, USA
Have you drilled out the air hole on your igo-l? I read that if you drill it from 1mm to 1.2-1.4 it takes away some of the throat hit and helps produce better vapor.

This stuff can get real subject real quick. More air will produce more vapor and less heat in the throat. The question is what you like. For me a 3/32 air hole is my happy place (a little over 2mm i believe). But with that said, its going to be relative to your build. Go too big for the resistance/heat produced and you will have a cool, open vape with little taste. Go to low on the resistance with an air hole too small to keep up and you will get a hot vape and hot atty. Just one guy's opinion based on messing with a drill, some attys and having too much time on my hands lol.

speedy112790

Feb 2, 2013
Sultan Wa
This stuff can get real subject real quick. More air will produce more vapor and less heat in the throat. The question is what you like. For me a 3/32 air hole is my happy place (a little over 2mm i believe). But with that said, its going to be relative to your build. Go too big for the resistance/heat produced and you will have a cool, open vape with little taste. Go to low on the resistance with an air hole too small to keep up and you will get a hot vape and hot atty. Just one guy's opinion based on messing with a drill, some attys and having too much time on my hands lol.

All cool haha lol I am gonna slowly step up the air hole to figure out what I like. I like flavor and vapor but I HATE throat hit. I dont know why but it just makes me mad when I get too much throat hit. I have thrown out certain liquids because of it and gone to a more vg ratio over it also. I like a light-mild throat hit or none at all :) If you have the same batteries what Ohm resistance is your coil? I found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PANASONIC...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item35c9f7e661 they are high discharge and they have a protection circuit and they are button top so i wont need a magnet

Last edited:

DurrtyMethodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2013
New Mexico
seems like everything has already been answered, so ill just say what im using. Igo-W dual coil, dual 1.8mm airholes running about .5 ohms. A drawtube mechanical with sanding contacts and upgraded spring to 18 gauge copper ( thanks walmart lol ). the contacts are also sanded to brass and batteries.. well.. im using these 2 Sony US18650VTC3 High Drain 30A Rechargeable Li on 18650 Battery 1600mAh New | eBay and i love them.

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
i too felt this way until i found out about micro coils. i built my first one last night, 10 wraps of 28 gauge kanthal( came out to 2 ohms), cotton wick, drilled out the air hole in my atty, and upped the wattage on my vamo. i get great flavor, a nice throat hit, and clouds of vape.
that being said, i'm still waiting for the kts that i ordered, and aw imr 18650's to get here. this vaping thing really came to be an enjoyable hobby, as i like tinkering with stuff.

Same here! Sadly, this is the first time I've heard of micro coils and I've been logging some serious hours, but mostly in mods, mixing, and RBA/RDA theory and safety. Didn't want my mod to splode in my hand!

"Vapefluenza" as I call it progresses quickly in those of us that like to get involved with things, and on many levels. For many, you and I included, it's a mechanical and electrical hobby. For activist types, I fall in here as well, it's a fight to sink our teeth into. For chemists, which I also enjoy quite a bit, mixing is a blast. The number of fronts vaping hits is pretty astounding really. I mean, that wasn't counting fabricating, inventing, metallurgy, design, and even programming/software/firmware with things like the eVic.

babtron

Jul 27, 2013
USA
Got it running and damn fat clouds im blowing. Burning through liquid quick tho but I have to wave my hand across the vapor to see anything infront of me almost :evil:

I love seeing clouds! I accidentally ordered a bottle of 0mg juice and I must say it's fun to vape that just for the clouds haha. I got my Atomic today, built a quick 1 ohm single coil and am vaping with a single 3mm hole and it hits like a champ on my Bio Mech.

Also, for batteries, take a look at the Panasonic CGR18650CH. Imo, they're better than the AW 18650 I had. Only downside is they charge a little longer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread