Status
Not open for further replies.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I am in the proccess of trying to get one of my iclear 16's rebuilt.I have been trying to get this done for a little over two weeks now.The reason it is taking so long,you can't see down that damn narrow tube innokin made for the coil head.I'll grab everything needed to do the rebuild,and i get so upset at not being able to see down that narrow section and i throw the parts and have to start again.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I have finally worked it out and have rebuilt one of my iclear 16's,meaning,i have it completely rebuilt with res. wire and NR wire,and everything set inside the iclear 16 sleeve.Have to adjust the way the coil is sitting to keep it away from the SS tube walls,and trim the wicks down.I will post back a little later with results.
EDIT:O.k first attempt did not work,did not measure any res. at all on coil.I started over and rebuilt the head a second time,this time w/o NR wire,and it works.Only problem with this is it came in at .2ohms.I am going to retry again tomorrow with 32AWG Kanthal and get it to at least a 1.5 dual coil build.

I am afraid to fire this thing at .2ohms and yes,it is rebuilt with dual coil.I have 8 wraps on each coil and it came out at .2 don't know?? The bad part is i can't remember if i was using 28,30,32,or 33 kanthal wire? I know how to rebuild them now so will go again.

Last edited:

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Please enlighten us on how you went about rebuilding the coils, guide or something similar would be a great contribution. Thanx in advance.

Just start off building the first coil as normal(you can build both coils at this time together),use 3mm silica.Set the coils aside and remove the center pin from the base of the iclear,along with the rubber piece,you will be inserting the tag ends of the coils thru just like rebuilding a evod head.When you set the coils down into the iclear base they will sit,one below the other,and facing oposite directions.Hold the first coil with the ends of the coil close together to fit down thru and out the bottom of the iclear base,(and do the same for the second coil,careful to have it spread far enough apart out and around the coil already in place).You can hold each coil in place by simply pulling each end of the bottom of the coil up and to the side of the base.THIS PART IS IMPORTANT: The rubber piece that came out the base will be the first to go back in.You will need to have ONE end from EACH COIL go completely thru this piece(DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH),the other ends from each will be captured under the rubber seal as the first connection.Now the last two ends of each coil will be captured under the center pin being pushed back into place(DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH).

When you are putting the coils into the base and when the coil ends get pushed thru and out the bottom of the base,try to keep them seperated,pull the end tought to the side of the base and just pull it up along the side of the base to hold the coil in position(i hope you can understand what i am saying here).When you have both coils in place and the ends pulled tought to hold them in place.Now is a good time to check the coils,the tag ends of the coils,and make sure nothing is touching.

You can also use this proccess to make your coils with NR wire(i have rebuilt them both ways),just make the tag end of the coil wire short,about 1/2 inch or shorter,then wrap the NR wire to the coil end.(that worked best for me.Doing it this way you still have to make sure your coils are not touching when they are sitting in the base.

So far i am unsuccessful with the rebuilds(in working form that is) as the coils are reading between .2-.6 ohms? I just can't figure out how to get the dual coil build up to at least the 1.5-2.0 ohm area,and not sure what exactly i am doing wrong?

gdeach

Jun 5, 2013
nj
I think you have to do a little reading up on ohms law. (Its been 2 many years for me) The atty you describe would be a "parrallel" DC circuit. In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances, in the parallel circuit the individual resistances diminish rather than add to make the total and the total resistance is less than any one of the individual resistors. BUT! total current going through each resistor would (assuming theyre equal 2 ohm coils) be cut in half in each heating element (they would each receive the same voltage). Were the original elements perhaps hooked up in series somehow????
How does all this affect the heating coils getting hot enuf to make vapor? Im not sure. Im a newbie and DC heating elements are a bit unusual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread