Rebuild coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmk_kelly

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Winchester, VA, USA
I don't have a kayfun because I don't like that it is plastic...and the metal piece doesn't allow you to see your juice level.

Your KFL clone didnt come with both the clear and chrome/metal center cylinders? Mine did, and with all extra parts and a long pin squeeze bottle for filling. The fogger V4 has a glass center piece, and honestly is the best RTA I have used, even over the kayfun and the Aqua. No comparison. Its VERY impressive.

Nautiboy1279

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Ridge NY
I don't have a kayfun because I don't like that it is plastic...and the metal piece doesn't allow you to see your juice level.

The plastic hasnt failed me yet (4 months old) and it looks like glass when its filled. But I highly recommend the fogger. Has the pyrex glass that comes with it, and the thing out vapes most of my RDAs. Hard to believe, but its very impressive.

Nautiboy1279

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Ridge NY
That bothered me too. I have a clone that has a plastic piece. I have given up on top fill as it just seems to make a mess. But using the plastic piece with safe juice you get an idea real quick how many pumps of the bottle will fill it to the desired level. About 8 for me. So I dont really care about seeing the juice. Also, using cotton wick, at the first hint of burnt or cottony taste, you know it's time to refill. It doesn't give that taste until its almost empty.

Why dont you just bottom fill the Kayfun like normal? I can get it filled all the way without having even an air bubble when swapping it from rite side up to upside down. That would seem its filled to capacity. I dunno why so many people try to top fill it and make a mess when it has a fill screw at the bottom

rmk_kelly

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Winchester, VA, USA
That bothered me too. I have a clone that has a plastic piece. I have given up on top fill as it just seems to make a mess. But using the plastic piece with safe juice you get an idea real quick how many pumps of the bottle will fill it to the desired level. About 8 for me. So I dont really care about seeing the juice. Also, using cotton wick, at the first hint of burnt or cottony taste, you know it's time to refill. It doesn't give that taste until its almost empty.

It's just at most of my favorite juices are tank crackers. I just stick with the glass tanks. I prefer to see the level of my juice so I don't ever get that burnt or cottony taste.

rmk_kelly

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Winchester, VA, USA
Are you using tank cracker juices? I have several with cinnamon and banana...and other citrus flavors. I have been trying to win a fogger on a contest thread...We'll see how it goes.

The plastic hasnt failed me yet (4 months old) and it looks like glass when its filled. But I highly recommend the fogger. Has the pyrex glass that comes with it, and the thing out vapes most of my RDAs. Hard to believe, but its very impressive.

Nautiboy1279

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Ridge NY
Are you using tank cracker juices? I have several with cinnamon and banana...and other citrus flavors. I have been trying to win a fogger on a contest thread...We'll see how it goes.

I mostly use menthol, banana, berry flavors, and pineapple which I recently been using and all have ran through the Kayfun without issues. I cant see that plastic strip cracking. I like to see the level of mine as well, but like the look of the chrome strip as well and can usually tell in the vapor if its running low and just fill it. And if Im going out I just fill it before hand. But yea, no signs of degradation after 4 months with mostly only using the plastic strip. The earlier versions of the Fogger have had issues. They finally did get it right with V4 aside from the flow control ring. So if you do alot of mouth to lung hits, you usually would need it to stay at an exact spot more towards being closed, but the thing moves around when the wind blows. But I only do straight lung with it now which if it moves a hair, its not noticeable to me. But they couldn't of gave it a better name lol. The flavors that come off this thing are really unmatched in terms of other RTAs and give off more dense vapor than any RDA I've used.

Ding

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Molon Labe
I rebuild for all my tanks/cartos/RBA/RDA etc.As was stated upstairs,love to tinker with things and some juices go better with different ranges.I had bought several different rolls of 100 foot kanthal for like 5 bucks a roll from 32G down to I think 22g.I pilfer the old ladies cotton balls so that's one less expense.Tis a hoot to rebuild and ya get exactly what ya want where ya want it.I have a box ohm reader which is also a great investment unless you can read and use a regular multi meter.Workin on duel coils to see if it worth rebuilding as a duel or make them single or just go micro with them.

Last edited:

Sandylp

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2014
California
www.sandyp.com
I just ordered my second Kayfun Lite+. I have two Nautilus tanks and one Kayfun now, but I prefer the Kayfun because of the additional flavor. I don't use the plastic part because my juice is known to crack plastic, and I've learned to estimate when the stainless tank needs more juice. It's fun, too, to make the coils.

secutorum

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
I'm ready to start rebuilding. I took a hit off of someone's electrical mod with a kayfun lite + v2 clone this weekend at a local vape shop with a juice I normally vape. Holy Smokes! The taste and the cloud was amazing!

I'm not ready to start dripping yet, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a vv/vw mod and kayfun clone this weekend. Saving a ton of money on coils doesn't hurt either. Plus, like many others, I like to tinker, even though the old lady thinks I'm crazy.

Tom Fuller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Mansfield, Texas, United States
I already have tanks that I replace the coils in. I was wondering if it is worth getting tanks that you rebuild the coil. I was told that to rebuild it was just as cheap to buy them. Any thoughts...

It is way cheaper to rebuild! I can tell you with absolute certainty that your quality control will be a thousand times better than a mass produced atty head. You will have a learning curve, however there are a bunch of very helpful people here at ECF whom will be glad to help you. There are also some great YouTube video reviews on rebuildable attys that will help you make a decision. I love the Kayfun 3.1 rba tank system. I have a coil in it now that has already vaped 50ml of juice with little to no degradation in performance at a cost of 20cents give er take a few pennies to produce.

Live Long and Vape!

Nautiboy1279

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Ridge NY
It is way cheaper to rebuild! I can tell you with absolute certainty that your quality control will be a thousand times better than a mass produced atty head. You will have a learning curve, however there are a bunch of very helpful people here at ECF whom will be glad to help you. There are also some great YouTube video reviews on rebuildable attys that will help you make a decision. I love the Kayfun 3.1 rba tank system. I have a coil in it now that has already vaped 50ml of juice with little to no degradation in performance at a cost of 20cents give er take a few pennies to produce.

Live Long and Vape!

I def enjoy my Kayfun, more so my Fogger V4 since that purchase, but once I drilled the AFC open to 5/64 on the KFL, it has been MUCH MUCH better. Definitely recommend this as its very easily done.

Tom Fuller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Mansfield, Texas, United States
Anyone notice a difference between wrapping on a 1/16th bit compared to a larger one , i can't tell , what about you.

What I have noticed with macro coils is the silica wick can carry more liquid to the coil with out the dry hit of micro coils.

Live Long and Vape!

I already have tanks that I replace the coils in. I was wondering if it is worth getting tanks that you rebuild the coil. I was told that to rebuild it was just as cheap to buy them. Any thoughts...

If you add time as an expense then yes it is cheaper to just buy coil replacements but there is no fun in that. It is like someone saying here you have to smoke this type of flavor and nothing else.

If you are going to start building coils you want to read up on the relationship with ohm's, volts, watts and amps so you do not waste your time, money or your face. When I decided to start building coils a whole new world of vaping opened up for me. I even completely quit smoking. Although I had to have one last night after the fight with my daughter. Damn 11 year olds think they know it all. You can use the same ejuice and get different flavors with different coils you build and how you set them up. Next thing you know you have to walk around the room with shoes on so you do not get stabbed with a rogue piece of wire that you clipped off the ends.

I have read so much on the electrical terms that I could wire a house now. No not really but the things you learn you will know how more stuff works. Just a side bonus.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Next thing you know you have to walk around the room with shoes on so you do not get stabbed with a rogue piece of wire that you clipped off the ends.
I saw one post where someone had a magnetized metal lid, upside down to work over. I have a plastic tub I work over, that holds my recoiling gear. I think a layer of bathroom tissue on a plate will catch those nasty things.

Rlrick

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2014
Carl Junction,Mo
Hey guys went down last week bought 30 feet of 34 kanthal 10 foot of silica 2mm wick for $10.00. Already rebuilt 30 T3S coils now trying cotton as a wicking agent then will try wool to find out which one I like best. Don't think I will have to buy anymore coils for a long time. And yes definitely watch RippTide on you tube he's good at it. You'll learn a lot. Vape on my friends.

Nautiboy1279

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Ridge NY
Hey guys went down last week bought 30 feet of 34 kanthal 10 foot of silica 2mm wick for $10.00. Already rebuilt 30 T3S coils now trying cotton as a wicking agent then will try wool to find out which one I like best. Don't think I will have to buy anymore coils for a long time. And yes definitely watch RippTide on you tube he's good at it. You'll learn a lot. Vape on my friends.

34g Kanthal? Man thats def not an enjoyable build to do. Anything 32 and over really doesn't hold its form good enough for me to bother with. If you try to make a tight micro coil it springs, and unravels and just isnt fun to use. 28 and 26 guages are awesome though. I'm sure it wouldnt work on rebuilding stock coils with wire that big, but when you get into pure rebuildables, def go that route. Much more of a pleasure to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread