Rebuilding CLR Heads for eGo ONE Mega Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

slgshane

May 19, 2013
Idaho
Hey there! So I bought a joyetech eVic VTC Mini and just finished off the last prebuilt CLR heads I bought and I want to start rebuilding. The rebuilding process itself is easy since I was rebuildng EVOD heads for two years before buying this, but I'm having major issues.

So I bought 28 gauge nickel wire for my rebuilds. I also have both 30 and 32 gauge kanthal lying around from when I used to rebuild EVODs. No matter which wire I use, when I attach the head to the VTC mod I'm getting crazy low resistance--anywhere from .06 to .08.

I'm using a 2.4 mm screwdriver to wrap around and I've tried going from four wraps to eight and the resistance hardly changes. Any ideas what's going wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

slgshane

May 19, 2013
Idaho
So it turns out that it's supposed to be .06-.08 and it actually works great. I just needed to set it to Temperature Control mode. This brought up another question, though. When in Temperature Control mode a nickel coil will not fire unless it's covered in fluid. So how the heck do you dry burn these coils to clean them off while re-wicking?

TheKman

Master of the Obvious
Nov 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia.
Whether there's fluid or not makes no difference to it firing, it simply reaches temperature more quickly. I don't think there's any easy way to dry fire a nickel coil with a resistance this low, most VW mods won't go below 0.1 Ohms. More importantly, you will destroy the silicon grommet if you dry fire it in place.

Personally I don't dry firing coils at all. Moreover, making new coils for the eGo One Mega CLR heads is so easy I just replace them instead. In health terms there is very little good science either way when it comes to possible ill effects of dry firing coils, so it's a matter of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread