Status
Not open for further replies.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
So I have come across tons and I mean TONS of people talking about it, prior to my wife starting on dark liquids, I was going to just buy replacement heads and swap them out, however I need help on the best ways to maintain heads. I do constantly clean heads and the tanks, but I am not sure if I am doing this as well as I could.

I am also interested in learning how to rebuild coils to save some, any/all advice, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

V/R

Jesse

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
I've built coils for a chinese clone RBA and it wasn't too bad, but since I started using protanks I don't really see the point (unless you're making it something different, like micro coils or cotton wick). Rinsing and dry burning probably takes me under a couple of minutes. I just keep re-using the same heads.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I've been using micro coils and cotton balls. That setup blows the stock heads out of the water.

Sent from the MOON, using Tapatalk MOON™

Can you post a link to a YT video for the micro coil/ cotton ball build (if there is one)? I saw a pic the other day of a vertical coil in an EVOD head but could figure out how they did it.

Sent from somebodys phone I found using Tapatalk.

DesmondTheMoonbear

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2012
maryland

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
I've built coils for a chinese clone RBA and it wasn't too bad, but since I started using protanks I don't really see the point (unless you're making it something different, like micro coils or cotton wick). Rinsing and dry burning probably takes me under a couple of minutes. I just keep re-using the same heads.

This does work, rinsing and dry burning a stock coil with silica. But...eventually (dependent on fluid) the head will go bad and fluid will taste horrible and then you've basically contaminated an entire tank. For ~$1 per head, replacing regularly is easy to do. However, after moving to cotton I've found the TASTE to be a hundred times better than silica and I'm not breating in those particales that are fraying off the wick.

Rebuilding was a lot easier and quicker than I thought.

Totally agree! After a few tries...it really is easy.

What wire and wick are you using? What resistance are you building?

Using A1 Kanthal wire. Use anywhere from 28AWG to 32AWG. Personally, I use 30 and at 10 wraps around a 1/16 drill bit I get right at 2.0 ohms. Going to try a 5/64 which is a bit thicker and will sit higher in the head. With a bit of knowledge, you can make any ohm coil you want each and every time vs the inconsistency of ordering 2.0's and then finding out only 1 is this rating and the other 4 fluctuate from 1.8-2.5. Additionally, if one moves to cotton.....try getting that silica out of a stock Kanger coil w/o distroying it - Best of luck. On a hand made micro-coil, one can easily pull out the cotton and rewick in a few minutes.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I found rebuilding takes just as long as properly cleaning the heads (boiling, dry burning, etc.). I use .30 AWG wire at 8 wraps for a beautiful 1.5 ohm head that blows the stock heads right out of the water. It really is pretty easy to do and after the first couple of heads, you'll find it gets easier as you go.

JayEatsAirplane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
I have had nothing but trouble rebuilding protank coils. Everyone I've made has the worst taste or no taste at all. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but believe me it's very wrong!

You and I are in the same boat here. No luck. I can pop out 2.0 Ohm coils no problem but they all taste burnt and it doesn't vape away after a while.

32Ga A-1 Kanthal and 3mm silica wick.

Dontknow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Devon
I just today made my own wick/coil for the first time. It was very fiddley, never having done it before. But - and here's the best bit - the flavour and hit was off the chart compared to "shop bought". Certainly I expect to get a bit faster at it - it will be less fiddley as become more accustomed to it.
I will NOT be getting "prebuilt" any more. For sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread