received my smpl mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynvolt

Aug 2, 2014
Placentia, CA, USA
Love this thing! It's aptly named the SMPL mod by Epic design studios. Made in Garden Grove California. This is my second locally designed and built mod.

I have been stalking vapor lair for the copper version to come back in stock, they sell out FAST! And it's no wonder at $120 for an American made original. They also come in brass and stainless. The brass seem to stay in stock the longest.

This has no top cap, just a 510 threaded hole. Hybrid without the removable cap. Don't worry, it's not likely you will strip it out. It's machined nicely. The button is held together with a snap ring. To do any sort of maintenance it would be a good idea to use a snap ring tool. The button is awesome. It is silent, smooth and has a just right resistance feel. It is the bottom cap. You just thread it in with your finger tip until snug. It sits recessed inside the tube. It's such a simple idea but it's absolutey perfect. It has a coin groove to tighten and loosen but it's not necessary. The button only comes in brass.

This 18650 mod is only 1/16" - 1/8" taller than a traditional 18500 mod. The finish is a fine brushed that's not too deep. It looks great with the naval brass tugboat on top and fits comfortably in hand.

It's not fancy. It's not polished. No cool engravings on the tube. But I think it looks great. The only engraving is on the button and it's very nicely done. I like the minimalist look and small size but I can't help but see this as a blank canvas for more artistic people to go to town on. You could engrave your own art and have a truly unique mod. Maybe patina it, paint or whatever to customize. I like it as is however. It's like the non pretentious mod and at the price point I doubt there will be counterfeits made.

At solid copper and the hybrid top, I seriously doubt there is much voltage drop if that's your thing but I have no way to test it.

I think this will be my go to mod for daily use. It's really cool not to fiddle with battery rattle pins every time you change atomizers. Loosen the button, screw on your atty, finger snug the fire switch and you're good to go.

It IS hybrid so some atomizers may not work if they have flush unadjustable 510 pins.

Overall, I really am happy with this one.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
It IS hybrid so some atomizers may not work if they have flush unadjustable 510 pins.

I was wondering about that....thanks for clarifying! I was curious how some attys with "long" 510's would sit flush.......

Very cool though!! I'm definitely interested..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread