Recomend a good first mech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Well I think it's about time. I enjoy my rdas on my regulated mods. My bills are solid my wicking is good and my education has increased dramatically. I don't have a lot of cash to put out. So I would like your input regarding my first Mech. I would be okay with a good quality clone. I've also looked at the wismec machinae and the noisy Cricket 2. What does everybody else think?

Reactions: stols001

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
DOVPO M VV, I just got one.

Dovpo M VV 280W Box Mod

IMG_20180531_123141.jpg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
That isn't really a mech as it has circuitry. Though it is a nice price on a good looking PWM.

The noisy cricket is a good place to start. Cheap, durable, made well, and reliable. Checks off all the boxes for a good starter mech.

I wouldn't suggest a clone for your first mech, as you wouldn't know what red flags to look for in it, and with clones you never really know what you will get from one to the next.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Are you a MTL, or a DTL vapor? Are you looking for an 18650 mod, or something that houses a bigger battery?
Answers to the above questions might be of help to those who have some recommendations.
My recommendation for a mech tube mod would be a Gus mod. I recommend it because it is a reliable and safe mech that has a replaceable 7.5 amp fuse between the atty and the battery.
Save the clones for when you are more familiar with mechs, as stated by Zaryk above.
v 2 Mods

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I retired my two mechs a couple of years ago. I came to the conclusion that I get a better vape from my regulated mods because I can change my vape "on the fly" (you can't do that with a mech). I was also concerned about the lack of protection circuitry on a mech (I had a battery explode in my first mech several years ago). You can be obsessive compulsive about battery safety, but it would only take one careless moment to result in a catastrophe.

You don't want to end up like this poor guy: First vape related death . He was using a mech that had inadequate ventilation. He had a battery vent gas into his mech which turned it into a pipe bomb, which propelled his atomizer into his skull.

If you look at images of mech mods which exploded (Google Image it), nearly all of them blow their tops off.

So my advice is your first priority should be looking for adequate ventilation holes should a battery vent. Batteries are designed to vent gas from their positive pole in order to prevent the cell from exploding. If a metal tube mech doesn't have vent holes to allow the gas to escape the tube, it essentially becomes a pipe bomb.

Ideally the vent holes should be located where the positive pole of the battery will be oriented. Batteries venting or going into thermal runaway can swell in size, effectively blocking the passageway to vent holes located at the other end of the tube.

Mech Mods with top venting holes?

rBVaI1i3hqKAQR9BAAESCj_JfwY969.jpg

HTB1kCDpGpXXXXXTXFXXq6xXFXXXg.jpg

Other things to look for would be a locking fire button (in case you carry your mod in your pocket), or at least a recessed fire button. You don't want your mod to fire accidentally in your pocket.
HTB1Ehg.GVXXXXXBXpXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg

DSC02695-1024x576.jpg

I'm always on the lookout for a mech that has simple and basic safety designs that I could recommend. I haven't found one yet.

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I retired my two mechs a couple of years ago. I came to the conclusion that I get a better vape from my regulated mods because I can change my vape "on the fly" (you can't do that with a mech). I was also concerned about the lack of protection circuitry on a mech (I had a battery explode in my first mech several years ago). You can be obsessive compulsive about battery safety, but it would only take one careless moment to result in a catastrophe.

You don't want to end up like this poor guy: First vape related death . He was using a mech that had inadequate ventilation. He had a battery vent gas into his mech which turned it into a pipe bomb, which propelled his atomizer into his skull.

If you look at images of mech mods which exploded (Google Image it), nearly all of them blow their tops off.

So my advice is your first priority should be looking for adequate ventilation holes should a battery vent. Batteries are designed to vent gas from their positive pole in order to prevent the cell from exploding. If a metal tube mech doesn't have vent holes to allow the gas to escape the tube, it essentially becomes a pipe bomb.

Ideally the vent holes should be located where the positive pole of the battery will be oriented. Batteries venting or going into thermal runaway can swell in size, effectively blocking the passageway to vent holes located at the other end of the tube.

Other things to look for would be a locking fire button (in case you carry your mod in your pocket), or at least a recessed fire button. You don't want your mod to fire accidentally in your pocket.

DSC02695-1024x576.jpg

I'm always on the lookout for a mech that has simple and basic safety designs that I could recommend. I haven't found one yet.

Regulated can vent also, nothing in life is totally safe

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl

DSC02695-1024x576.jpg

I am from Clearwater Florida. And that poor man lived only a half a dozen or so miles away from me. I do understand the risks. And I have a really great Mech Guru available to me through my local brick and mortar store. His is the first Mech I ever Vape on any experience was Superior to my regulated mods. I also want to be prepared for any future issues such as not being able to obtain vaping devices. I would like to have at least one or two that I can repair on my own if the case should happen to come up. Thank you for your concern. I like the idea of a fuse system for assistance and any other precautionary devices available but I do want a serious Nuts and Bolts, cogs and washers mechanical device that is within my realm of expertise to repair should need be. I do agree the venting holes or very important and I would make sure regardless of the device I choose that it would be as safe as possible. Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I will probably purchase the noisy Cricket 2. And then in the very near future a couple of tube mechs to put away for future reference. I have also considered building my own and have constructed a couple of different housings for them. 1 being wood a nice cherry that I worked with for a while and another believe it or not a polymer clay. Only time will tell how far I get with those but as I am a hobbyist and make my own jewelry and leather works as well as build models. I just want to be prepared

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
Well I think it's about time. I enjoy my rdas on my regulated mods. My bills are solid my wicking is good and my education has increased dramatically. I don't have a lot of cash to put out. So I would like your input regarding my first Mech. I would be okay with a good quality clone. I've also looked at the wismec machinae and the noisy Cricket 2. What does everybody else think?
I think you should Begin by first deciding how many batteries you want to run, and if more than one battery decide series or parrallel connection. These options radically change build options of your atty(s).

All these considerations will effect the types of builds you would run and the vape experience options to pursue.

As far as first-mech option ... I would think you would be best served with a single battery mech (reduce the variables to learn significance of what/how you build). Learn to build multiple ways for various output experience, and learn multiple builds for similar vape experience. Learn how to build what you like and how to replicate and/or tweek/improve. Learn about battery selection based on the builds and vaping experience desired.

I started with a single-battery mech, then dual-battery mech, then moved to regulated (very happy I did not start out with regulated). Currently daily vape a mech (both single & dual-battery) with occasional use of regulated. Having a regulated mod to test mech-builds (throughout the output range of mech unregulated batteries) is a good option.

Would be easy to just say, ya I love my NC2-25 (one of my my daily for over a year now) and highly recommend ..., would be kinda ignorant in my mind because so many other options (that might better answer your case after you decide application parameters). Example: this mod in my mind is a great dual-parallel unregulated option except the fire button sticks out enough to easily auto fire in a pocket (ya I know u can 5-click-off as a safety ... I just don't on any mod). Also, on each of the NC2 I have used ... when running in series-regulated I get that occasional full power blast seemingly out of nowhere (an interesting attention-getter). So, even though I really like it I would not blindly recommend to anyone new to unregulated devices.

My thoughts: start with something simple and focus on your builds. Learn to build for gradually decreasing power output of an unregulated device. If building low resistance, check battery temps during initial testing of a new build (chain vape to test wicking performance and also to feel battery(s) for heat build and potential thermal stress). When you learn to get satisfaction from a build that vapes "acceptably" from 4.2v down to ~3.4-3.6v you will have earned great satisfaction i.m.h.o.

Find someone you trust that you can ask ANY question. Learn to understand the answers to your questions. Ponder old questions and answers, as there will be fresh learning from "old" understanding for those truly wanting to learn.

Last edited:

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
My advice is to learn to build on a single cell unregulated device with some protection first. Start with some low power builds, large high mass fancy coils work much better on a regulated device! Stay well within the CDR of the batteries that you have. Batteries can and do degrade over time, this process is accelerated if you work the batteries to the limit. Buy a decent ohm meter and use it to check any builds with the top cap and drip tip installed. It is possible to get a very good vape out of a mech, but you need to pay close attention to what you are doing.

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
... , large high mass fancy coils work much better on a regulated device!

I would disagree with that, to some degree ;-)

Example:
While this (attached pic) all stainless 3.5mm ID build may not qualify for some (those who believe you need to vape two or more coils) as a "large high mass fancy coils" build ..., it is close (one wrap less than) the largest I can fit into this style iJoy Combo RTDA deck (fill the deck, reduce free-air space). As a single-coil build on a mech it is a great vape in my opinion, both on a single or a dual-batt-mech.

It's all in how you select materials and in your build construction. Knowing what you want before you start is what takes learning.

8b29d8b8387b9899911c137fd4b13018.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: r055co

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl

DSC02695-1024x576.jpg

did I mention that I have started a Mech mod retirement home in sunny Clearwater Florida?

Sigurds

Jun 26, 2018
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: This is not the way we speak to fellow members here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread