Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSoloRRT

Jun 11, 2013
Florida
Hi,

I have been vaping now for about 4 months. Avid cigar smoker, got tired of expensive cigars that won't stay lit, so I opted to try vaping. So far it is awesome. I don't miss the cigars, the smell, or the ashes. I like smoking in my office, and the place is now clean as a whistle. So I can't say enough about vaping. I am definitely in.

So far I have had 2 vaping units: The eVic and the SmokTech Telescope:

The eVic caught my eye, and it wasn't cheap, so I figured it would be a better buy than the other units they had, WRONG. The eVic was a disaster, this unit vapes very well, but it is extremely poor as far as construction goes. Went through 2 control heads, and on the 2nd one discovered that the glue they use to glue the black screen section to the dome section is substandard. The first unit just stopped working about 3 weeks after I bought it. I went to my vape store and replaced it with a new one. 2 weeks into the replacement unit, I noticed that the dome was spinning when I tightened the coil to the unit. Upon closer inspection, I could see the separation, as well as the wires that are under there. I assume that the first unit broke because the wires pulled when I put the coil on. I went ahead and glued it, and it lasted about another 2 weeks, then I threw it away. I wasn't going to spend another $75 to replace it. This unit is way too expensive at $125 let alone $25. It is poorly put together, and I won't go JoyETech again.

The Smok Tech telescope works great. The only problem with this unit is that the button on the bottom that activates the battery is constantly breaking. I have already replaced the unit twice. It is much cheaper than the eVic, this is why I went and bought a 2nd one. Today, the button broke again. So the SmokTech Telescope is another no go for me.

I am looking to get something that will last and not break after a few weeks. I use the Kanger MT3 bottom coils, which to date have provided me with the best flavor. The hair type coils were always burning, and made the Churchill flavor taste like crap. I want a unit that will accept the Kanger product. The MT3 coils work great, very impressed with their longevity, and performance.

Can you guys recommend a unit that is reliable and doesn't break from normal use? I was looking at the Provari, however at $200 bucks, I have a ton of reservations. My experience with these things has been horrific, so I am guarded on spending too much $$$ on something that I may regret later. The ability to vary the voltage is not important to me. I did not see any advantage to voltage regulation when I was using the eVic, however this may have been because this was my first unit.

I am open, and hopeful for some alternative product recommendations! Thanks.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
If you're looking for durability and longevity and understand that what you pay for in quality frees you from a succession of cheap short-lasting products, then it seems to me that the Provari definitely deserves consideration. I suggest that you read various threads here on ECF where Provari owners have proudly praised these qualities.

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
If you have reservations about shelling out for a ProVari, have you considered a Vamo? They run about $50, and a lot of people on here (me included) really like theirs. You would need a 510 to Ego adapter for the Kanger MT3, but those are only a couple of bucks.

BTW, welcome to ECF! :toast:

Last edited:

icyice

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Cali
I myself am a Vamo user, and after 3 months of having it I would declare it a nice mod, especially for the price it does a lot and is built not too shabby.

However, if you have the budget to get a Provari, I say go for it.

I have tons of friends who have Provaris, and I truly believe theyre as durable as they come. Many of my friends have told me about drunk dropping their provaris and still works amazingly! If I dropped my vamo I'm unsure if I could save its life, and I fear it will break soley based on the cheap price of the product..

IMO, get that Provari!

HanSoloRRT

Jun 11, 2013
Florida
I was looking at the Vamo. Glad to hear that there is an adaptor for the MT3. I was going to call to find out if I could use an adaptor. What I don't understand about these things is the variable voltage and variable wattage. How do you set these initially? What does the wattage control, and what does the voltage control? High voltage vs. low voltage - what difference do you feel? The guy on the video says he uses his at 8.5 watts, but never got into the voltage. Does the voltage relate to the resistance? What do you feel if you use a high wattage, vs a low wattage?

I like to puff for flavor. I buy a 0 or low nicotine Churchill flavor from Liberty Flights that I really like. I do like the unit to produce a fair amount of vapor. The telescope worked fine, did the trick, but once I get into a unit that has settings, I am somewhat lost. I really don't understand what the settings can do for me, or how these enhance the experience.

shedevil7953

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Central Indiana
I agree with Firestorm. You've probably paid for a Provari already with your bad experiences. I bought a Vamo first when I was hesitating on buying the Provari. Actually have 2 of them and they're good mods. Don't know how long they will last but the first one was $50 and I found the second one with a discount coupon for only $38 including shipping.

You can tell the difference in holding a Provari vs a Vamo. Solidly built. The Vamo can be a little 'tinny', my buttons seem a little loose. The Provari also comes with a one year warranty. Plus I bought a second year warranty for $25. With the mod, extension cap for the larger battery, 2 18650 batteries and the extended warranty, I paid around $290. At the time of the order it indicated 20-25 days but I had it in a week.

It's not just a status symbol because there are more expensive mods out there, but I'm not sure if they come with a year's warranty :).

Julopy

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2012
Austin, TX
if you don't care about vv or vw and you want to skip right ahead, you can get a QUALITY mechanical mod that will last virtually forever, that means no circuit boards or wires that will fail.
Right now im waiting for my ela Super T ~ ELA
reos mods are awesome too, the Reo Grand is my favorite http://www.reosmods.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=8&Itemid=3

but if you are on a budget you can still get a good mech for under $100 PureSmoker LEGACY Standard [18650]
a decent mech for under $30 like sigelei #8 Sigelei #8 Mod Electronic Cigarette from AquaVaporCig North Carolina
or #20 Sigelei #20 with Stainless Steel Button

I own several apv's, expensive and unexpensive, but for me nothing compares to a good solid mech.
If you are new to mechs here's a ton of info and a great community to chat and answer your questions.

Best wishes. ;)

Last edited:
My son and I both rejected Vaping a while back as it A) did not satisfy and B) didn't satisfy. We had tried premade and the CE4, both proved "not enough" at 12mg and sad way too light tokes.
LOL
Well last Xmas we found the Kanger T2 Clearomizer on an eGo 650mah battery. Well that worked! Good enough hit etc. So we kept going starting at 24mg Nicotine.
We learned a lot since then and have hooked up with real down in the weeds techy types that mod mods and build their own everything and so on.
Again we learned a lot.

So we are both sticking with the Kanger T2/CE5 (both terms T2 and CE5 refer to the same thing. Bleh) tank;
but now its on an eGo-c twist 900mah battery and we run 1.8ohm coils. The low resistance of the 1.8 allow faster heat and quicker cool down and nice VAPE! :)

One real problem with an otherwise perfect PV rig is that the tank is plastic. Polycarbonate.
Some flavors EAT that plastic and it outgases into YOU and it ruins your tank/tip of the T2/CE5.
So I have some Kanger Pro Tanks on the way as they are Pyrex (glass) and should be safe for all flavors.
I still have issues with something that eats CDs (same plastic and you can test your juice on them) going into my lungs though so I am avoiding those flavors.

I just want a convenient unit that works well without a lot of diddling around.
The eGo-c twist with the right tank is fine as I chain vape and those keep up with me.
The ability to adjust the voltage is SWEET as you can tailor it to various flavors that burn differently.

doook

Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
San Diego, CA
if you dont mind the form factor, i highly recommend the beast box by mister e liquid MEL VV Box Mod. I had an evic and it broke, picked up a k100 and loving it but i recently just picked up the beast box and my k100 has been shelved since my box came in. I have a border collie that likes to lay under the coffee table so my mods kept tipping over falling on my tile floor....but not with this thing!!

DucMon696

Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
United States
I picked up a Vision Spinner starter kit from myvaporstore.com which allowed me to choose 2 batts, either an ego twist or vision spinners as well as 2 clearomizers or carotomizers. It was around 70 for the kit. It also came with a charger. I have been very happy with them and they are variable voltage. Voltage does relate to the resistance but you need to apply ohms law in order to figure out the power that you are happy with. The spinners are super easy to adjust, just turn the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread