Recommended ways to charge mods while camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiZzle2010

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2013
Rhode Island, USA
I am getting ready to go camping with my son and his scout troop in the Catskill mountains in NY on Friday. Saturday, and Sunday. We are staying in a cabin that does not have any electricity or running water. We are driving up with someone else and I will not have my car with me. I have 2 iTaste VV V3 mods that I use and will somehow need to recharge them during this period. I plan to bring my car charger and hopefully I will be able to use someone's car to recharge but in the case this does not happen, are there alternative ways to charge my device? I do not want to resort back to smoking because I cannot vape. Any suggestions?

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass

cthulhufan

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Yup!! Thing is awesome, totally worth owning if you camp and have electronics. I suggest getting a battery pack to charge up as well like a Ravpower 13500mah

I second the RavPower units. I have to 10,000 mAh unit and it is great for phones and smaller VV units. It charges my iTaste VV3 very well.

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
just run some cable from the closest powerline there is, cant be more than a few miles.

or, bring a treadmill along, fit a torroid between the treadmill and the charger, a DC stepdown converter, and run your way to a full battery.

note: if bears attack, do not run on treadmill. try to trick the bear onto the treadmill.

Circa Survivor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2014
Omaha, NE
just run some cable from the closest powerline there is, cant be more than a few miles.

or, bring a treadmill along, fit a torroid between the treadmill and the charger, a DC stepdown converter, and run your way to a full battery.

note: if bears attack, do not run on treadmill. try to trick the bear onto the treadmill.

6998281761_d8ba0563c5_z.jpg

Like this? :p

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada

I've tried it out... Not something I would suggest as the thermocouple only provides a very low level charge. Honestly, it would take it burning for several hours to get to the halfway point on a small battery, better off with a solar charger with a built-in battery (check out the Eton ones, not great but decent price for performance). If price is no object, then get the Joos Orange, which is perfect if you do outdoor activities and have electronic devices on the go!

Last edited:

ronnbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2014
Sawmills, NC, USA
If looking for a less expensive alternative consider getting a couple power sticks. Mom bought me one for my cell phone from walmat but it could charge my mvp in a pinch. She got them multiple times between $6-$10. The brand is hype and they are 2200 mAh batteries. I take mine when hiking just in case my phone dies and an emergency arises. Input and output are 1 amp max, so shouldn't burn out your mod. It has a little cord with a micro usb to a usb for charging, with a usb output on the device.
ydy3edah.jpg
Sorry for the crappy pic, recharging mine at the moment. It is around the size of a tube of lipstick I guess.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Itaste and it's 800mah battery might require two charges a day, for me anyway. Looks like several of those USB charge packs would do you just fine if you can use one and let the other charge alternately.

A 3 day camping trip would require 6 charged 18650's for my Provari and me and I'd want a couple of extras besides. If my truck was handy most of the time, my Intellicore I4 charger would plug right into the inverter and charge just like I do at home.

ronnbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2014
Sawmills, NC, USA
come on guys with the price of the stuff you are recomending he'll be better off buying two more itastes and use them when the others die
My recommendation was in the $6-$10 range per stick he wanted to buy. Plus these sticks are very handy in day to day life when not able to be tied to an outlet with my cell phone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread