reducing nicotine content at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
When I started vaping, I had disposables that were marked as 16mg I think, and they were fine for me. When my first rechargeable kit arrived, I was using the 18mg that came with it, and I assumed that this would be more or less ok. I found that I was not sleeping at night, and I was spending most of my waking day with my head buzzing like mad! I think a few people noticed I was a bit hyper, too! I'm not sure whether this was because I was finding it a little more pleasurable, and was just taking more 'goes' on it. I sent off for some 12mg, and I found that was too high too. I know vape at around 6-8mg. It means I can chain vape without getting any of the side effects. I notice you are an ECF veteran though, so you have presumably been vaping for a while? Has this just suddenly started? Are you vaping more? Changed your kit? Upped your nico level? Anything else, like medication? (I'm not a doctor, by the way..)

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
Ah, I just saw your other thread. You fell off the wagon, and have quit again! Well done. Looks like you quit more or less the same week as me! I hope it works well for you this time.

Just a thought, have you thought about maybe a special flavour for night time, so it tells your brain it's time for bed? I don't know what you vape now, but maybe a low nico chocolate flavour or something to give you the signal to switch off a little? Just a thought.

Prism

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wisconsin
A lot of people go through some sleeplessness just from quitting smoking. But also you could be overdoing the nicotine since people tend to chain vape. I found that I have had to cut down to very low mg after 6pm or I am up all night. So def try cutting the nicotine and see if that helps. I vape 24 mg during the day and don't get any cravings cutting down to 4 or 6mg at night.

Last edited:

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
Using a lower level nicotine at night is very normal.

My boyfriend actually started vaping at 24mg. He smoked for 16 years (at least one PAD), and thought that would be fine. So did I, honestly (I smoked for 8 years and started at 18mg). He had quite a lot of difficulty sleeping at that nic level.

He took a brave step and jumped down to 12mg, and no more trouble sleeping! He might have been okay at 18mg, but we're working to cut nic eventually.

We're both happily at 6mg now.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
In the evenings at home when I know I will be chain vaping, I drop down to 10 or 12mg. During the work day, since I cannot vape while working and have to wait for breaks, I use 18 or 24mg to help get me from break to break. Days off ... it's a toss up really. I have some juices at 16mg that don't make me jittery with my day off vaping, so I tend to stick around there. Makes it hard to order some times tho, so I'm considering going DIY soon.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I had the same problem while smoking for 35 years and learned to smoke less at night. Rather than use a lower nicotine juice at night I just vape less often after 8 or 9 p.m. and hit the rack around midnight. The half life of nicotine is about two hours.

If I don't do this then I can be up to 3 or 4 in the morning.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Even tho I always had to have that last cigarette or two before bed, I found out quickly that I can't do that with vaping.
After dinner I switch over to 0mg liquid.

Hmmm, I don't know if I would ever make the switch to 0, but one of my recent orders had 10mg and I'm kind of liking that a bit more than my previous 12mg I have been using. But I like the flavors of both, so I am sure I will use both over time. I find that as long as I take around 6mg of melatonin, unless I have been vaping 16mg or higher, I fall asleep like a baby. :)

Something I need to work on soon tonight, since I have a Dr appt at 1030am, and it's already after 2 here in FL.

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
I have sleep issues anyway- psychologically, I consider sleep a huge waste of time, even though intellectually, I know why I need it, and physically, I will pay dearly if I don't get it.

None of this matters, because I just can't sometimes, too much nic or not, and it's been a problem for me since I was a toddler. I do know this- vaping higher nic in the morning helps me deal with it. It helps keep the brain fog from settling in, it helps keep me from verbally abusing morning people, it helps me focus on getting what needs doing done until I can grab a nap later.

I've been trying to cut my nic down anyway because I vape a lot lately, and I don't like the head rush, but in the mornings, I might always need a little extra. Everybody else gets coffee to wake them up, which I cannot have, so I think I deserve it.

ChinMullet

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2012
Outer Space
I haven't been sleeping at night...I don't think I have been asleep before 4am in a week or two.

I an vaping 18Mg and I am pretty close to a chain vaper.

Has anyone else experienced this? I worry about lowering it and facing cravings...

About three months into my vaping adventure, I had an odd situation arise that allowed me to vape more than usual, especially in the evenings and nights. I also vaped 18mg.

I experienced the same thing you are - staring at the clock until 4am (or 5am or 6am in my case). I just could not sleep.

After three or four nights of this, I sadly realized that it had to be the increased nicotine consumption.

Since I didn't want to vape less, I bought some 6mg juice. I figured I could always mix it to 12 if the 6 didn't cut it, but frankly, with my eyes closed I cannot tell the difference between 18mg and 6mg.

Sleeping like a baby now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread