Status
Not open for further replies.

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
Are we buying them and not aware, they used to be around, I remember the Vamo and Lava Tube having clones to choose from, I think they, the Chinese, are just better at hiding them or maybe all devices can have different manufactures and still be authentic, but a cheaper G class would me nice

Reactions: Foggy Road

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've seen the occasional "styled" box on some of the Chinese sites, but that's one thing I would never consider getting. No way I'm going to cheap out on the board. Not only from a performance perspective, but a safety perspective. A tank which is just some milled metal and glass is one thing. Something that regulates power? No.

I've also never bought a regulated mod from anywhere other than a well known vendor with a good track record. Not out of fear of counterfeits, but for warranty support should it be required.

Thumpey

Multiple ID Suspension
Apr 7, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple ID Company / Unregistered Supplier

Thumpey

Multiple ID Suspension
Apr 7, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple ID Company / Unregistered Supplier

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
With regulated device the circuitry is proprietary. So it is much easier for companies to protect their property from cloning companies. With a mech they can leave off some lettering or a logo and sell it with the words styled at the end like a Nemesis styled mod. In a regulated mod they can leave off lettering or a logo but if they use the same circuit can still be sued by the original manufacturer. So there just are not as many companies willing to chance it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Cloning companies don't care about changing logos, they copy them 1:1 all the time.

Regulated mods take more effort and expense to clone due to the sum of parts used, why bother when you can simply make a threaded tube and sell them by the caseload.

Txaggiesaunt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
Texas
I've seen the occasional "styled" box on some of the Chinese sites, but that's one thing I would never consider getting. No way I'm going to cheap out on the board. Not only from a performance perspective, but a safety perspective. A tank which is just some milled metal and glass is one thing. Something that regulates power? No.

I've also never bought a regulated mod from anywhere other than a well known vendor with a good track record. Not out of fear of counterfeits, but for warranty support should it be required.

Ditto....

Reactions: Eskie

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
When I bought my Alien I didn't bother at first to play the scratch off game to see if my Alien was an authentic one. But when I tried to update the software because I thought it would be a good idea, I got the error message saying that no USB device connected, even though I followed the instructions carefully and tried on multiple computers. That got me to scratch off the box and it said my device was authentic. I don't think now that there are fake Aliens but it is possible nowadays.

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
When I bought my Alien I didn't bother at first to play the scratch off game to see if my Alien was an authentic one. But when I tried to update the software because I thought it would be a good idea, I got the error message saying that no USB device connected, even though I followed the instructions carefully and tried on multiple computers. That got me to scratch off the box and it said my device was authentic. I don't think now that there are fake Aliens but it is possible nowadays.

I think if you can make a fake/clone mod you can surly make a fake authentication web site/ scratch off to go with it

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Did you do this with the USB cable that came in the box with it, or just some rando one you found lying around? There ARE cords out there that are only power cords and do not have the data pins connected. Could be one reason why that might happen with an authentic unit.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Did you do this with the USB cable that came in the box with it, or just some rando one you found lying around? There ARE cords out there that are only power cords and do not have the data pins connected. Could be one reason why that might happen with an authentic unit.
I actually tried it with a Samsung cord. But I know that isn't the one that it came with. Did not do it with the one it came with and should have. But now I can't complain with its original software as I have not had an issue as of yet. Version 1.0.2.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Given the the price of genuine regulated mods, what's the point of clones?

There are more expensive regulated mods on the market that could potentially be knocked off. Think of stuff like DNA or high end YiHi mods. Those carry enough of a price premium to make them attractive to being knocked off. I know there have been some DNA knockoffs sold, usually found out when they won't hook up to eScribe.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I saw a guy with an authentic geppetto pistachio with a Hadaly clone on it. I found it odd....

Welcome to the wacky world of vaping where logic takes a back seat.
Lol.

You think thats funny?
REOs mods sells/sold clone atomizers...and blamed clones when his business started to tank.
:facepalm:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Welcome to the wacky world of vaping where logic takes a back seat.
Lol.

You think thats funny?
REOs mods sells/sold clone atomizers...and blamed clones when his business started to tank.
:facepalm:
I always liked the old anti clone crowd when it came to the "reomizer" line of attys.
I only get anti clone when the clone owners belittle the authentic owners...And I become vehemently anti authentic when the authentic owners belittle the clone crowd. It's so incredibly silly. Who really cares? I generally buy authentic unless it's a modder who intentionally makes his stuff impossible to get. In those cases, I've found the clones to be great. I have an authentic Narda and 4 chi nardas. I can't tell them apart.
As an ex Marlboro guy, I can't remember ever slapping a dude smoking cost cutter smokes.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
However, in the interest of staying on topic, I've never considered a regulated clone. I take that back....I had a zna clone that I had Zen put a genuine DNA chip in. And I bought a vapor flask clone to mod into a squonker...Mine worked better than the authentic VF Squonk. No juice leaking out of the USB and you could actually remove the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread