The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

REO button melted?

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by IMEDICx90, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. IMEDICx90

IMEDICx90 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    Well I somehow melted my REO button. I was really carefully to clean it about once every 2 weeks, I have had it about a month and I even went as far as to clean the positive contact every couple of days (not always scuffing sometimes just alcohol rubs). I have never sub ohmed on it, kept it around 1.5 ohms, only used mnke's and aw imr's.... So what did I do wrong? And furthermore, how do I get the button out to fix it?

Edit:

I got the button out
    [​IMG]

Not a great picture, but that's the button. Can I buy a replacement button? In sure this has happened before, I just am not aware of where to get one. :/

2. thinkingaboutit

thinkingaboutit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2012
    mn
  3. Raynman

Raynman Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Marion In USA
    Remove the long screw from the delrin insert, pull insert off turn firing pin and push out button. Be very careful the screw can be very easily stripped. Long hits like 7 to 10 sec. or chain vaping could be the culprit. The firing pin got hot and melted the button maybe you can say what it was that you did to cause the problem.

4. IMEDICx90

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    Ok so chain vaping could have been the culprit! Well I was doing that earlier, but I have used it plenty since this afternoon, I wonder if the battery is the culprit. The battery in question is now dead and was a perfectly charged battery, so maybe the battery failed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ancient puffer

ancient puffer EX PV Collector Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    FWIW, I take 10-12 second hits regularly, using a 1.5-1.8 ohm coil and have never melted a button in nearly 3 years. There's definitely something gone wrong, have you rechecked the atty to make sure it's still 1.5? What type of atty was it? And what's the spring look like? Still good or collapsed?

6. Rhapsodies Fire

Rhapsodies Fire ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2010
    Bow, WA, USA
    You can get replacements from Rob or just get the repair kit. Shoot him a PM to find out more. You can sand that side of the button down so there isn't anything to catch on and then see if it still works. Keep us posted. :)

7. IMEDICx90

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

I think my spring is fine. It doesn't look discolored or like it has collapsed. No I haven't checked the atty yet. I will do that. I just rebuilt my rm2 and put it on my second REO, but I am a little bummed out.

8. Rhapsodies Fire

Rhapsodies Fire ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2010
    Bow, WA, USA
    If you haven't ruled out the atty, I recommend not putting it on your second Reo until you check the reading on it. Mark the battery that was in your mod and set it aside until you have ruled that one out as the culprit. The good news is that regardless ....anything can be fixed or replaced.

9. IMEDICx90

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    Right the atty in question is actually the igo b/f. So I rebuilt the rm2 so I could keep vaping on a REO. Lol but the battery has been marked, and the atty had been checked since last night, while it's not 1.5 it is 1.7 so it seems to be wearing out or I have more cotton then necessary. Anyway, I think it's the battery at this point, but if anyone else has any other ideas, let me know please. :)

10. redeyedancer

redeyedancer Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2010
    Maine
    Sounds to me like you shorted your mod with the atomizer . Your welcome to send it to me for repair or buy a replacement button . You can also clean up the button you have with a razor knife or some sandpaper . On a positive note I will have high heat buttons for the mods shortly

11. IMEDICx90

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    Awesome thanks rob. I'll be ordering a few buttons on Friday. I did get the button cleaned up with my utility knife, and it works fine now. The atty doesn't appear to have shorted, but anything is possible in the world of rebuildables. I suppose I'll rebuild the atty with a fresh coil and see how it does over the next few days. If it melts again, I'll definitely send it to you and see what you think, I'll even leave it built.

12. redeyedancer

redeyedancer Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2010
    Maine
    Sounds good my friend keep us posted

13. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2011
    Chicago
    If the battery was good before, it is now dead, you were running a 1.7 ohm coil, the spring is not soft or collapsed, I would think your battery had failure and over heated.

While little atomizer ohm meters are handy a regular multi-meter is invaluable. Install the RM2 or other RBA on the Reo, place one lead on the spring plate the other on the firing pin and you are now checking the entire system for shorts.

14. SeaNap

SeaNap Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    If the coil has a broken (or damaged) leg that could cause a lot of arcing at the batt + terminal. If the post screw wasn't tighened down enough, causing a bad connection with the coil leg, that could also cause the arcing or sparking at the batt. The sparks will cause the firing pin and the button to heat and could melt the button.

I was actually rebuilding my RM2 yesterday and when I tightened my post down I realized that the coil hole no longer lined up. The post actually spun past its original position. So I took and old coil and cut off 1 loop and shoved it down the post hole and screwed the post back on, and I was getting crazy amounts of sparks at the batt terminal. The problem was that I didn't tighten the post down all the way and there was a loose connection inside the RM2. I fixed it by tightening the post (with the screw IN) and now I'm a happy vaper with a perfectly aligned post :vapor:

I was running a 0.41ohm coil, with the fuse mod in my REO Grand.

15. IMEDICx90

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    I did that and it wasn't the rm2 that was bad, it was the igo b/f that I was using. I think it really was the battery that failed. The spring seems to be fine, it's not discolored and it's not any harder to push down then when I first got it. Is it possible is got damaged without any of the usual characteristics?

The atty metered out just fine with my fluke, so I don't have any shorts this morning, but that doesn't mean it didn't short last night. Could have been jiggled out of place or something I suppose. If it was the battery I am ok with that as they are easy enough to replace and I have plenty of them. I would just hate it to be something other then that. Lol.

16. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2011
    Chicago
    If the spring is its usual height and not sagging then it should be fine. I would use it at first with the door off so I could keep a finger on the battery to monitor for heat build up and thermal run away.

17. IMEDICx90

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    Right you are sir. I will do that right now.

18. Raynman

Raynman Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Marion In USA
    As an afterthought it could have been the RBA that shorted. One way this could happen and still check out normal is the drip tip shorted it. Could have been down too low and touched the posts. It might be a good idea to always test your RBA with the drip tip on.

19. redhosmer

redhosmer Full Member Verified Member

Oct 6, 2013
    grantville,ga,usa
    Is it possible you put it in your pocket and the button got pushed an heated the firing pin melted your button and drained your battery all at the same time?

20. IMEDICx90

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    No as I just put the battery in, had it in my hand, pushed the button, and it got stuck from melting. So I have no answer still as to why it did that, but i think it was the battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.