Reo Mini: Sparking when pushing the button & burning bottom spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Krinkle

Verified Member
Feb 5, 2010
Virginia
Hello everyone. I am hoping someone can help me figure out a serious issue that just happend a few days ago which I can't seem to fix.

Backstory: I have two Reo Mini's. One (Gold) is about 3-4 years old and one (Red) maybe 2 years old. I have been using Royal Smokers CE3 Smokymizer @ 2.4-2.7 ohm religiously since they came out and never had any issues except for a few duds. My batteries are AW IMR 3.7v 900mAh 14500 LiMN Rechargeable Lithium batteries.

Issue: My two year old (Red) Reo Mini has begun to spark where the thin metal piece meets the top of the battery when i depress the button. If I hold the button down for longer than 2 seconds, the bottom spring will heat up to the point where it is glowing!

Fixes: I have tried to clean the (Red) Reo both inside and out using just a plain paper towel and qtip. Undoing the screw inside in order to clean behind the piece. Swapped bottom springs from my backup Reo as well as swapped out different brand batteries but keeping the same voltage, and tried a few brand new CE3 attys. All with the same results...

What do guys suggest I do next or try next. Please and thank you!

Kid Krinkle

Verified Member
Feb 5, 2010
Virginia
Does it do this with all batteries? With known good atties/cartos?

Yes. I tried my older batteries and attys of different brands and it still occurs with the Red Reo.

It sounds almost like you have a short happening. Is your spring dropping?

You should contact Rob about this. His forum name is redeyedancer. Send him a pm via here.

Also try posting in the Reo sub-forum for help also:

Reos Mods

Yep I dropped (glowed orange) 2 of my springs but I am still able to use my backup Reo. I'll send Rob a PM, cheers.

sashwa

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Alcatraz
Yes. I tried my older batteries and attys of different brands and it still occurs with the Red Reo.

Yep I dropped (glowed orange) 2 of my springs but I am still able to use my backup Reo. I'll send Rob a PM, cheers.

Yep, you had a short and your reo needs to go back to Rob to be checked out and fixed. The spring dropping is the built in protection of the reos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread