Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Hey gang. First, hope I didn't offend anyone by asking for the chat to be taken to the lounge, I certainly didn't mean to. It's just the reason this is here is cuz folks asked for a tech thread that didn't have a lot of chat to wade through. Some is fine :)

Second.......I haz a problem I totally don't understand. Making 9 wrap dual coils from 28g SS316L (((((robin))))) should come out to about an ohm per steam engine. Got em installed. But am getting an error on the ohmmeter and on a regulated I keep kinda for this purpose also, it just says check atomizer. When I check it with the DMM which has always been accurate, it says 1.1 ohms, but there is a .5 whatever ya call it when ya cross the leads that you have to subtract and that would make it a .6 ohm coil. I was thinking maybe the center pin got pushed up too much to connect, but that wouldn't explain the .6 DMM reading. It certainly appears that all the wires are captured, since I don't have a loose coil. So I'm cornfoozled. All help is appreciated! I really want to try this wire.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
What is the ID of your coil? I see a 28g 316L 9 wrap single coil @ 3mm ID comes to 1Ω... So if you are doing 3mm duals it would come in @ .5Ω overall...
jup is 3mm so when you click on doubles, steam engine gives you the ohms for EACH coil? I'm used to using coil toy and when you click doubles it automatically halves it for you. If that's the case, and the DMM is reading it at .6, then maybe it's possible the center pin is just up too far? I can tell it is sticking out and I haven't had that issue with this one RM8 but did with another derringer clone

Reactions: Slots

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I am guessing your center pin has popped up a little from your deck... According to Steam Engine for 28g 316L 3mm duals, they need to be 18/19 wrap for 1Ω... Single coil build 9/10 wrap does come out to 1Ω as I said, but if you are installing duals that would be halved...
thanks. Didn't know that about steam engine. Well, at least the wire is wasted if I can find my son's ratchet set. lol Have never liked .5 ohm, but we'll see how it does with the SS. Appreciate the help

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Muzichead's right -
9 wraps SS 28g 3mm duals = 0.5 ohms
And it's doing what you said - when you pick "dual" it cuts the overall resistance in half, as it should...
I'd say, "go ahead and vape it".
SS at 0.5 ohms may be a bit mellower than kanthal would be...

upload_2016-6-4_17-59-59.png

Reactions: Debadoo

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Wow, that is really amazing!!! I've never liked anything below an ohm and usually do duals at 1.3 cuz I vape mostly fruity juices, but wow this really is mellow. I put a juice in it that I had made probably last Oct or Nov. didn't care a lot for it......it's like a whiskey pudding, with caramel, cocoa, butterscotch etc. This is really good and it's not too hot at all!!

I'll try this next with my fruity juices, same build and see if they are good or if it's too hot for them. If it's good, I'll definitely be getting some of this! To get net ohm duals looks like I'd have to go to 30g and a 3.5mm ID and 10 wraps if I did it right. But if the fruit tastes good at .5 and not to hot I'll stick with that, cuz I don't think I wanna go to 3.5mm ID

thanks so much fellas!! :wub:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Wow, that is really amazing!!! I've never liked anything below an ohm and usually do duals at 1.3 cuz I vape mostly fruity juices, but wow this really is mellow. I put a juice in it that I had made probably last Oct or Nov. didn't care a lot for it......it's like a whiskey pudding, with caramel, cocoa, butterscotch etc. This is really good and it's not too hot at all!!

I'll try this next with my fruity juices, same build and see if they are good or if it's too hot for them. If it's good, I'll definitely be getting some of this! To get net ohm duals looks like I'd have to go to 30g and a 3.5mm ID and 10 wraps if I did it right. But if the fruit tastes good at .5 and not to hot I'll stick with that, cuz I don't think I wanna go to 3.5mm ID

thanks so much fellas!! :wub:

Again, remember that with ss, you will want to build a little lower than kanthal, because of the resistance climb. If you're happy with 1.0 ohms with kanthal, I'd shoot for around .85 with 316L ss. For 3mm diameter dual coils, this would be about 10 wraps, each coil, with 30g ss.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Again, remember that with ss, you will want to build a little lower than kanthal, because of the resistance climb. If you're happy with 1.0 ohms with kanthal, I'd shoot for around .85 with 316L ss. For 3mm diameter dual coils, this would be about 10 wraps, each coil, with 30g ss.
thanks. If this build works on my fruit juices, I'm sold. I really like the 28g better than 30 cuz I can see it!! lol

coil building is much easier when you can actually see the wire. :facepalm:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Has anyone replaced their own original 510 with the upgraded 510? I see that Rob sells them on the web site and figure I'm mechanically inclined enough to try it. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There were some posts about doing this, back a few pages.
    Sounds like it's doable with the old brass 510.
    Basically drill out most of the old one, remove any left over material with a dremmel.
    Rob uses a arbor press to install the new one, but I think a hoople could tap one in with wide punch or bolt.
    Removing a SS 510 would be a challenge tho.
    I would call or e-mail Rob for info.
    Or just send it in.

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    thanks. If this build works on my fruit juices, I'm sold. I really like the 28g better than 30 cuz I can see it!! lol

coil building is much easier when you can actually see the wire. :facepalm:

When I run out of 32 guage I just use human hair...............same thing.............LOL.......

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    lol I have had a hard enough time with 30! Can't even imagine 32.

Welcome to the porches Trucker! Pick out your chair, grab some coffee or whatever, and make yourself at home!

Thanks... I like to talk vaping.........I also enjoy building my own Recumbent 2 wheel bike out of old bike frames....love the pedaling part.....

I use a flux core welder I bought at harbor Freight 100.00 about 2 months ago....never welded before in my life.......lol...running an RSST

genesis style atomizer with a eleaf 50 watt temp control thing....on 19 watts......

Debadoo

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    Thanks... I like to talk vaping.........I also enjoy building my own Recumbent 2 wheel bike out of old bike frames....love the pedaling part.....

I use a flux core welder I bought at harbor Freight 100.00 about 2 months ago....never welded before in my life.......lol...running an RSST

genesis style atomizer with a eleaf 50 watt temp control thing....on 19 watts......
    kewl, and now I feel like a dolt. Been up all night, have too many tabs open, and thought you'd posted on one of the porches. lol :facepalm: But make yourself at home here :)

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    kewl, and now I feel like a dolt. Been up all night, have too many tabs open, and thought you'd posted on one of the porches. lol :facepalm: But make yourself at home here :)

Thanks.....I used to stay up all nite at my papermaking job for 25 years and then the mill closed and so I drove 18 wheeler for the next 12 years...

now I am retired......and vape A lot....lol........I don't have a REO yet but always wanted to get one...........got me a Smokless Owl Squonker when

they came out and seem to always fall back on my old 2 year old RSST.......cinnamon and menthol mixed together.....I stopped the tobacco

in November 2013 and started vaping................................I see you have been at it for quite a while yourself..................good deal......

Debadoo

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    thanks, and congrats to you! It's a great feelin huh! When you get a Reo, you'll love it! Do you like a lot of air when you vape? Dual or single coils? ohm build? There are quite a few great bottom feed BF attys

We also have a reo chat lounge here
    The Reonauts new lounge

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    thanks, and congrats to you! It's a great feelin huh! When you get a Reo, you'll love it! Do you like a lot of air when you vape? Dual or single coils? ohm build? There are quite a few great bottom feed BF attys

We also have a reo chat lounge here
    The Reonauts new lounge

I usually have air wide open and have a 28 guage kanthal...1.27 ohms at 19 watts ....single coil.........cotton wick.....thx for the tip on the reonauts lounge..........will check it out......have a great day............thetrucker......

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread