Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
I'm 52 now and been flying for 28 years and the airlines aren't what they used to be anymore. This job used to be real fun up to the mid 90's now it's minimum layovers and increased duty times. Trust me you're not missing anything, I'm waiting for the kids to finish college and I'll retire.

Evilocity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Washington DC
Well, I'm jealous of the mod, the maple burl looks incredible. And I'm jealous of not being a pilot, although I've had a few lessons in a small plane. I love the idea of being a bush pilot, just should have started years ago before I had any other responsibilities.
Good luck to you both and safe flying. And keep the pics coming!

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
Lookin' good Cap'n!!!

I'm trying to decide just what exactly I should do with this:

hlnK6oL.jpg

Had you gone the DNA30 route, where would you have put it?

I'm leaning towards installing it on the side, similar to the way turbocad did on his latest Woody.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Lookin' good Cap'n!!!

I'm trying to decide just what exactly I should do with this:

hlnK6oL.jpg

Had you gone the DNA30 route, where would you have put it?

I'm leaning towards installing it on the side, similar to the way turbocad did on his latest Woody.

The easiest way to dna the VV Grand is to put the chip on the bottom with the screen on the button side purely because you have lots of real estate. If I went however the DNA route I would put it in the side (button side) because it would look better with the screen higher up.
Good luck with it and take it nice and slow, I'm sure you'll do a great job.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Thanks guys and gals for your kind words of encouragement which in fact I really needed today. Because I decided to redo all the wood on the VV Grand today because as the schmuck I am I used steel epoxy to glue the wood on the milled aluminum which for those that know is dark gray color. When I continued the sanding yesterday I saw that the burl was showing signs of grey at the seams as well as in certain cracks and it looked, well lets just say I didn't like what I saw. It really looked like concrete with wood and frankly I decided to take all the wood off and recut new pieces of wood and use regular epoxy and walnut wood filler (slightly reddish tint) to get a perfect blend for the burl.

Worse of all is that of course I had to cut a new set of aluminum wings (major pita) since they have to be inlayed and sanded flush to the wood. I finally have it where I want it now and I can't believe I didn't think that using that grey epoxy would lead to problems with the finish.

I guess it's a mistake I won't make again :facepalm: Fine burl and gray steel epoxy don't mix

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Brilliant job Steve...I feel your pain on the choice of epoxy and the effect...it's like what do you do?...maybe the finish choice will negate the steel epoxy effect...maybe you need to put it down and go do something else for a bit cause you've been staring at that thing for days and it's making you tunnel-vision hyper-critical crazy, maybe....

I just went through it with my DNA Woodvil, I found a cold solder joint, what do I do? gimp a repair only to have it happen again (I will forever wait for that 2nd shoe to drop), do I just try and pry it open enough to fix the joint and just duct tape it all back together again (sure it's fixed but now it looks like crap)...GAH!...rip it all apart and do it again.

In your case, 99.99998...% will look at this piece of art you've created and think it peerless...but you know otherwise :facepalm:

I truly dig your OCD perfectionism while driving a vehicle at 30K ft full of souls but it's tough to turn off every now and then eh?

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Thanks Quigs, you know how it is when you've taken hours to make something and it just doesn't do it for you. Ripping it apart and doing it again was the only option because it's either done right or it will forever stick out and be a painful reminder every time I pick it up.

Anyway I'm happy I did the exterior again because I really am happy how it came out now. I'll be even happier if I find a way to mod the button now because it kinda sticks out too much but it was the smallest SS button I actually found.

I'll do the interior next which will also be inlaid with wood both for a nice clean look but also to conceal the wire coming from the negative spring and I'll have a copper screw head contact for the positive battery pole.

The new longer fatdaddy 510 BF connector is very much improved and in fact needs no modding at all as it works real good with the new internals Dennis did. I've tested it and I get zero leaks even under extreme pressure.

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
Hey Capt,

You ever stealth vape while flying? I'm thinking you probably don't even try to hide it behind the locked crew door. Let me guess climb to altitude, enable EAC (autopilot), take a long puff, blow a huge cloud in the flight deck (cockpit), set temp/press switch to dump and clear out the cockpit. Lol.

I'm Air Force and work on A-10's, maintenance guy and run the engines all the time for ops checks. Not sure what commercial airlines system names are but for autopilot in the A-10 it's EAC, the ECS bleed air system has a temp/press switch that controls cockpit air for heating and cooling. The dump setting is used to equalize the pressure incase over pressure or loss of pressure.

During maintenance runs on the ground with the canopy closed, dump works real good to clear out the clouds ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OthatGuy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2014
Westcoast
Hey Capt,

You ever stealth vape while flying? I'm thinking you probably don't even try to hide it behind the locked crew door. Let me guess climb to altitude, enable EAC (autopilot), take a long puff, blow a huge cloud in the flight deck (cockpit), set temp/press switch to dump and clear out the cockpit. Lol.

I'm Air Force and work on A-10's, maintenance guy and run the engines all the time for ops checks. Not sure what commercial airlines system names are but for autopilot in the A-10 it's EAC, the ECS bleed air system has a temp/press switch that controls cockpit air for heating and cooling. The dump setting is used to equalize the pressure incase over pressure or loss of pressure.

During maintenance runs on the ground with the canopy closed, dump works real good to clear out the clouds ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, I just found this thread, looks .....en btw! That's exactly what I was going to ask. . . My bet is capt. does whatever he wants..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread