Replacement wicks for Phoenix have double silica ropes per coil (pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
Razloz - quick question. how do i get the wire to the post to not cross the coil, without raising the coil up high? I you look at my pic, the wire on the right side has to go up to the post crossing higher than the coil. should i have my coil up higher on the mesh? the holes on my posts are funky.

thank you!

Razloz

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
The way I do it since my screws don't go down all the way is I wrap the top wire around the screw once then bring it down and loop it through the post then screw it down just enough to hold it in place. Pick whichever post is higher and use that one for your top wire. If they're both even try my method, make sure that when you loop it down through the post that it's in contact after you screw it down though. Just kinda nudge with your finger or screw driver or w/e so that it's touching the post. As far as the hot spots leading to the coil go, if you tilt your wick towards the top wire post and maybe bend the wick a bit to center the top of it, it should supply those spots with juice. I'm curious though, what kind of wire were you using that it broke in your hand? BTW from the looks of it you only need a 2/3 wrap with that wire (I.E. 3 showing from the top and 2 showing from the bottom). The closer they are together the better, because they bounce heat off each other, making it heat up faster and produce more vapor. Try making the coil a little closer together and tilting it a bit towards your top lead and it should work without snapping.

Razloz - quick question. how do i get the wire to the post to not cross the coil, without raising the coil up high? I you look at my pic, the wire on the right side has to go up to the post crossing higher than the coil. should i have my coil up higher on the mesh? the holes on my posts are funky.

thank you!

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
Razloz, I used 32 Kanthal. It's as fragile as nicochrome to work with for me. I only got 6" of it from vapor....., along with a pre-rolled SS wick, so not much to work with. When i put it in the post and pulled before tightening down the screw, it broke, so i only had a short leg to work with and tried again.

If i lean the wick toward the top post, won't the coil hit the post and cause a short?

Your way of wrapping and feeding thru the holes sounds good! it will give me a way to get the wire out of the way better.

I thought i had to do 5 wraps for 5v vaping? Doing 3 or closer together or further apart will allow me to 5v vape without popping the coil?

thank you! most ppl that make these go for LR vape, and you're one of the few like me that likes a HV vape :)

sorry for so many questions! I was thinking there must be a non-conductive material that i could feed the wire to, before the post, but my husband says no lol, but he doesn't vape. I have delrin rods and was thinking what if i melt a bead on the wire as the coil leg goes to the post? What do they use on circuit boards to dissipate heat? something like that?

thank you!

The way I do it since my screws don't go down all the way is I wrap the top wire around the screw once then bring it down and loop it through the post then screw it down just enough to hold it in place. Pick whichever post is higher and use that one for your top wire. If they're both even try my method, make sure that when you loop it down through the post that it's in contact after you screw it down though. Just kinda nudge with your finger or screw driver or w/e so that it's touching the post. As far as the hot spots leading to the coil go, if you tilt your wick towards the top wire post and maybe bend the wick a bit to center the top of it, it should supply those spots with juice. I'm curious though, what kind of wire were you using that it broke in your hand? BTW from the looks of it you only need a 2/3 wrap with that wire (I.E. 3 showing from the top and 2 showing from the bottom). The closer they are together the better, because they bounce heat off each other, making it heat up faster and produce more vapor. Try making the coil a little closer together and tilting it a bit towards your top lead and it should work without snapping.

Razloz

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
As long as your SS mesh wick is oxidized completely it shouldn't short out, just to be safe I would lean it towards the negative post though. You can always go the route of having non-resistance wire connected to the resistance wire. I haven't tried it personally but I've heard .999 silver wire for beading jewelry works good. You basically just attach it to either side of your kanthal/nichrome so that the only parts that are resistant and heat up are on the coil. As for the wraps, from your previous picture the only parts that were actually heating up were the middle 3. When you have overlapping wires like that it makes that spot less resistant because more current flows through it, so it heats up slower than the rest of your coil. So even if you had 5-6 wraps the only parts that are actually heating up were the middle ones. It depends on how many ohms you're going for though, with 32 kanthal the resistance builds up pretty quick per wrap.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
popped 2 wicks tonight on dry fire and figured out what the prob was = there was a tiny piece of wire left in the hole from the previous wick. So tiny i couldn't see it. Got rid of it and did a 4/3 wrap of nicochrome on my mesh, stuffed some silica wick down the hole and it's vaping really nice.

i ordered some 36 and 32 kanthal from OKC vape. they have 3 ft for $1.50 so i'll have a reasonable amount of wire now ;-) That 6" from VB wasn't worth the trouble. Right now I have Nicochrome in there.

I'm hoping i can get by with just a couple wraps of the 36 and keep the ohms the same.

Razloz

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Nice glad you got it working. I'm thinking 30 AWG nichrome is what I'm gonna start using. The more wraps you can do the greater the surface area is, which leads to a thicker vapor. The wire I have right now I can't do many wraps with, but the vape is awesome so I don't mind. I just like playing around with different stuff. :)

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm not sure what the # is on the nicochrome that i have. I bought it a couple years ago. It's possible i like the flavor of kanthal on the mesh better though. Too soon to tell. If i can do 3 wraps of the higher kanthal in the middle i should be good to go with plenty of room for the wires to go to the post without interference. I just love this thing! Get a few more stares in walmart, etc, but i don't usually notice ppl and i swallow my vape in stores ;-) what i absolutely am amazed at is consistent vapor. no finagling, blowing out, wiping down my P18 connector from leaked juice. A pleasure!

Nice glad you got it working. I'm thinking 30 AWG nichrome is what I'm gonna start using. The more wraps you can do the greater the surface area is, which leads to a thicker vapor. The wire I have right now I can't do many wraps with, but the vape is awesome so I don't mind. I just like playing around with different stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread