The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Replacing Coil Problem

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by ztockfairlady, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Shadav

Shadav Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    well sorry...I don't really have any other suggestions....
    I'm back to thinking the watts are too high
    or you are chain vaping too much for the juice to keep up....
    best of luck, hopefully you get it figured out

2. ztockfairlady

ztockfairlady Full Member

Mar 15, 2019
    i know but even when im working my way up it tastes thew same

3. somdcomputerguy

somdcomputerguy vaper dedicato Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I think I won't be able to offer an wattage/power type suggestions as I use a coil in the 1.5 ohm range and power in the 8 - 10 watt range.. but what Shadav said, good luck with this issue. I'm sure you'll soon have replies that number in the dozens which you'll find helpful.

4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Heh. I totally feel you there. If you run into a post from me that reads “deleted due to reading comprehension error” you know what happened. There are quite a few around on the forum.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. ztockfairlady

Mar 15, 2019
    thank you for your help anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Power recommendations are often exaggerated. I'd suggest starting at no more than 30 - 40 watts with that coil. Work your way up to where it's OK and don't go any higher. 90 watts might be enough to burn the wick, in which case it would keep tasting burnt after that.

When you say it tastes OK the first time but not after that, how long are you waiting between vapes? If you're chain vaping (as I often do) with only a few seconds between vapes there may not be enough time for the wick to get saturated again. If that's not it, we're back to looking at the power setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ztockfairlady

Mar 15, 2019
    i meant it tasted OK with one coil for the entirety of its lifetime, the the next coil didnt and the ones after that. I start atr lower watts and still tastes weird at those wattages. And i let atleast 3 minutes before taking another hit

8. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Definitely not chain vaping, then. Did the first coil come from the same box as the others? How many coils have you tried and had problems with? Sometimes a coil (or even a box of coils) is a dud. Another thought - have you double-checked the markings on the coil itself to make sure they're the same? If you've somehow ended up with the single coil that's also made for that system, it would have lower recommended settings.

9. ztockfairlady

Mar 15, 2019
    ive tried like three boxes of coils, ive even used the three mesh ones and that was the one that had one coil that actually tasted ok. and yes ive checked the markings.

10. Lordron's_Drag

Lordron's_Drag Super Member

Mar 7, 2019
    Karnes city, Texas
    This doesn't help but u should have got the crown 4

11. ztockfairlady

Mar 15, 2019
    is that another mod? Im honestly thinking of just buying another vape at this point ive gone through so many coils

12. Lordron's_Drag

Lordron's_Drag Super Member

Mar 7, 2019
    Karnes city, Texas
    It's a mod and a sub ohm tank I was referring to the tank uwell tanks are really good imo been using a crown3 for a long time it's leaked twice once from an extremely old coil(2months) and the other time it leaked was because I broke the glass

13. greek mule

greek mule Unresolved Status ECF Veteran

Feb 2, 2018
    Athens,Greece
    After a burnt hit or notice taste-flavor is not good,before you change with new coil wash your tank-toss juice because holds bad flavor.

14. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    @greek mule, thats the best advice yet. Take everything apart and clean it really good in very hot water. If you leave any burnt juice at all in the tank, even a residue, it will affect the taste of a new coil. Every time

• Like Like x 2
  15. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Did I misunderstand, or did you say you’re at 90w? Washing the tank well first is important. But also, start breaking it in as low as it will fire. Somewhere around 25w. I don’t know of any drop in that will tolerate 90w, so increase slowly.

I agree too that the recommendations on the coils are too high. I don’t think I’ve ever gone as high as the lower number, but you may be able to go 40-50w.

One other thing, is the mod reading the ohms correctly?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. charlie1465

charlie1465 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Yes the advice here is spot on...wash the tank inside and out thoroughly with really hot water. Sometimes the chimney will get coated in a nasty residue from drawing up burnt liquid/cotton.

Then when you've done that and dried it out start again with a new coil and start low and increase but don't go over 40/45 watts :)

Occasionally, a box of coils will just be a bad batch and you'll get what you've been describing but I don't think it's that as you seem to have gone through a lot of coils so far...good luck :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    When i used the tfv12, coils were rated high for that one, and i would vape at 130w with no issues at all. But those were actually made to do that. Ive since retired that tank and use a falcon mesh tank at 65w. Batteries last longer that way, lol. But i think if the OP took everything apart and cleaned it really well between every coil change, it would solve the issue

• Like Like x 1
  18. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi and welcome,
    How long is your average inhale (in seconds) at 90 watts?
    Is your inhale strong, deep and rapid or slow and steady?
    Have you watched others (Utube) use the device you have?
    Do your inhales match/mimic the inhales of the reviewer(s) in strength and duration?

I get the vibe that you are trying to use a DTL (big air) device, as a MTL (restricted draw and slow steady inhale) device.
    With insufficient air flow, your coils will overheat and cook your juice.
    Does the juice in the tank take on a darker color as the tank empties?

Cheers
    I

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.