Replacing Coil Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    i have it set at 90 right now but when i change the coil i go from low and i work my way up.

• 0.2ohm Kanthal Double Mesh Coil - rated for 60-90W ← you are using extreme wattage for this coil
    I think I won't be able to offer an wattage/power type suggestions as I use a coil in the 1.5 ohm range and power in the 8 - 10 watt range.. but what Shadav said, good luck with this issue. I'm sure you'll soon have replies that number in the dozens which you'll find helpful.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Power recommendations are often exaggerated. I'd suggest starting at no more than 30 - 40 watts with that coil. Work your way up to where it's OK and don't go any higher. 90 watts might be enough to burn the wick, in which case it would keep tasting burnt after that.

When you say it tastes OK the first time but not after that, how long are you waiting between vapes? If you're chain vaping (as I often do) with only a few seconds between vapes there may not be enough time for the wick to get saturated again. If that's not it, we're back to looking at the power setting.

• Agree
    Reactions: susieqz

ztockfairlady

Mar 15, 2019
    Power recommendations are often exaggerated. I'd suggest starting at no more than 30 - 40 watts with that coil. Work your way up to where it's OK and don't go any higher. 90 watts might be enough to burn the wick, in which case it would keep tasting burnt after that.

When you say it tastes OK the first time but not after that, how long are you waiting between vapes? If you're chain vaping (as I often do) with only a few seconds between vapes there may not be enough time for the wick to get saturated again. If that's not it, we're back to looking at the power setting.
    i meant it tasted OK with one coil for the entirety of its lifetime, the the next coil didnt and the ones after that. I start atr lower watts and still tastes weird at those wattages. And i let atleast 3 minutes before taking another hit

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    i meant it tasted OK with one coil for the entirety of its lifetime, the the next coil didnt and the ones after that. I start atr lower watts and still tastes weird at those wattages. And i let atleast 3 minutes before taking another hit

Definitely not chain vaping, then. Did the first coil come from the same box as the others? How many coils have you tried and had problems with? Sometimes a coil (or even a box of coils) is a dud. Another thought - have you double-checked the markings on the coil itself to make sure they're the same? If you've somehow ended up with the single coil that's also made for that system, it would have lower recommended settings.

ztockfairlady

Mar 15, 2019
    Definitely not chain vaping, then. Did the first coil come from the same box as the others? How many coils have you tried and had problems with? Sometimes a coil (or even a box of coils) is a dud. Another thought - have you double-checked the markings on the coil itself to make sure they're the same? If you've somehow ended up with the single coil that's also made for that system, it would have lower recommended settings.
    ive tried like three boxes of coils, ive even used the three mesh ones and that was the one that had one coil that actually tasted ok. and yes ive checked the markings.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Did I misunderstand, or did you say you’re at 90w? Washing the tank well first is important. But also, start breaking it in as low as it will fire. Somewhere around 25w. I don’t know of any drop in that will tolerate 90w, so increase slowly.

I agree too that the recommendations on the coils are too high. I don’t think I’ve ever gone as high as the lower number, but you may be able to go 40-50w.

One other thing, is the mod reading the ohms correctly?

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    Yes the advice here is spot on...wash the tank inside and out thoroughly with really hot water. Sometimes the chimney will get coated in a nasty residue from drawing up burnt liquid/cotton.

Then when you've done that and dried it out start again with a new coil and start low and increase but don't go over 40/45 watts :)

Occasionally, a box of coils will just be a bad batch and you'll get what you've been describing but I don't think it's that as you seem to have gone through a lot of coils so far...good luck :)

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Did I misunderstand, or did you say you’re at 90w? Washing the tank well first is important. But also, start breaking it in as low as it will fire. Somewhere around 25w. I don’t know of any drop in that will tolerate 90w, so increase slowly.

I agree too that the recommendations on the coils are too high. I don’t think I’ve ever gone as high as the lower number, but you may be able to go 40-50w.

One other thing, is the mod reading the ohms correctly?
    When i used the tfv12, coils were rated high for that one, and i would vape at 130w with no issues at all. But those were actually made to do that. Ive since retired that tank and use a falcon mesh tank at 65w. Batteries last longer that way, lol. But i think if the OP took everything apart and cleaned it really well between every coil change, it would solve the issue

Reactions: DeloresRose

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    ive tried like three boxes of coils, ive even used the three mesh ones and that was the one that had one coil that actually tasted ok. and yes ive checked the markings.
    Hi and welcome,
    How long is your average inhale (in seconds) at 90 watts?
    Is your inhale strong, deep and rapid or slow and steady?
    Have you watched others (Utube) use the device you have?
    Do your inhales match/mimic the inhales of the reviewer(s) in strength and duration?

I get the vibe that you are trying to use a DTL (big air) device, as a MTL (restricted draw and slow steady inhale) device.
    With insufficient air flow, your coils will overheat and cook your juice.
    Does the juice in the tank take on a darker color as the tank empties?

Cheers
    I

• Agree
    Reactions: DeloresRose
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread