• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Replacing the Stardusts. What are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom13

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2011
winnipeg
Haven't been keeping up with the vaping world lately, and not sure what all is out there. We've been using the Stardusts v3 forever now, but they seem to burn quickly. After 2 tanks my clear juices start to turn pretty brown. Wondering what ego vapers are using these days - anything new and less apt to burn juice so quickly?

Jables

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Alberta, Canada
No gurgling or leaking ever on my vivi novas, and that's why I love them!

ps: I can never recall getting burnt juice and have been using them for 5 months.

I've never had gurgling or leaking from them either, I initially loved them, that's why I have 8.

But for some reason all but 1 of them tastes like burnt plastic death. I've gone through ~15 heads trying to get them to work like they once did, and only the one has worked.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Last edited:

Lakus

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I have recently got a hold of some Kanger T3's and they have been great for use at work. I find that they mute certain flavors, but I still prefer them. They hold enough juice to get me through the day and I have not had a single dry hit or any flooding at all. The only problem i have had is that thick juices wont wick as good as I was hoping. I was hoping that the bottom coil would make even the thickest juices wick better. They work with thick juices, but I cant be taking drag after drag after drag, then simply dry up. Has only happened to me with 1 juice this far though and thats not even one of my favorite juices so it's not a problem for me.

In conclusion: For me, at work, Kanger T3's are the new go-to's.

Jables

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Alberta, Canada
You do realize that you can purchase replacement wicks and coils for these units?
https://www.vaporgeek.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_93&product_id=247\

Or go really cheap and recoil them yourself ...

If you are going to upgrade I have to go with the Vivi Nova.

That's what I was talking about with the ~15 heads I've gone through.

I have no idea what is causing the taste that I'm getting, my stardusts are doing it too now though, so I think it has something to do with my mod?

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB

I have no idea what is causing the taste that I'm getting, my stardusts are doing it too now though, so I think it has something to do with my mod?

So you are recoiling them? Sounds like we need to launch an investigation. There was one case where I recoiled a Nova using 36 awg nichrome and yuck.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
I was using premade coil heads from Canvape and Vaporgeek.
Yeah, I never had much luck with the premade coil heads regardless of where they come from. I think you need to give diy coil heads a try. The Novas and Stardusts work but they don't work well at all with the premade coil heads.

What ohms are they rated for? Do you have a multimeter to check the actual resistance?
How long have you been using the same heads? Even with diy coils, I make a new one every day.

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland

I am no expert, but it sounds like your mod could be firing hotter than it is supposed to be firing. If you changed the heads over and over to new ones, it should be fine with a new head.. I don't know what else would cause the burnt flavour other than a bad head or the mod firing too hot. I have only changed a few heads on my three novas and haven't had a bad one (ordered from Canvape). Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Try the novas on another device and see what happens.

Jables

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I am no expert, but it sounds like your mod could be firing hotter than it is supposed to be firing. If you changed the heads over and over to new ones, it should be fine with a new head.. I don't know what else would cause the burnt flavour other than a bad head or it is firing too hot. I have only changed a few heads on my three novas and haven't had a bad one (ordered from Canvape). Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I've tried the same heads on my Zmax(Which fires way hotter than it reads, as far as I can tell), my eGo twists, and my standard eGo batteries, and I get the same taste from each one no matter the temp. I'm thinking it has to be something so extremely stupidly obvious that I'll feel like an idiot once I figure it out, but I for the life of me haven't been able to even get a remote idea of what is causing it.

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
I've tried the same heads on my Zmax(Which fires way hotter than it reads, as far as I can tell), my eGo twists, and my standard eGo batteries, and I get the same taste from each one no matter the temp. I'm thinking it has to be something so extremely stupidly obvious that I'll feel like an idiot once I figure it out, but I for the life of me haven't been able to even get a remote idea of what is causing it.

That is weird... had edited my post to suggest trying another device but I guess that is no help. I find it hard to believe that out of all those heads you wouldnt have a good one. Is it the same burnt flavour on different juices?

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland

Try a new head on your Ego twist before using it on the zmax? Maybe one of the devices is burning out the new heads?

Jables

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Alberta, Canada
That is weird... had edited my post to suggest trying another device but I guess that is no help. I find it hard to believe that out of all those heads you wouldnt have a good one. Is it the same burnt flavour on different juices?

Yep, I've tried flavorless nic juice, (60/40 pg/vg) some pure pg juices, and some pure vg juices, and they all have that odd plasticy taste. As far as I can tell the taste isn't coming from the juice, but from something else heating up that probably shouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread