Replacing with Cotton Wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

I've been using my fairly new Kanger T3S tank for a about a week now, and the 2 silica wicks fell apart (AGAIN), so I've been trying to find a replacement for that without having to buy a bunch of things that are incredibly hard for a foreigner to find in the Dominican Republic, where I reside and work at the moment.
I've come across a lot of posts about 100% cotton balls that you can find in any store, and have some at home. I took a little bit (maybe a bit too much?), rolled it into a string 'bout 1mm in diameter in the middle, placed it on top of the coil, closed it up with some Highbrow Vapor Exotic Tobacco 6ml e-juice that I steeped for a few days, puffed it in a bit to draw juice in, and started vaping on my eGo-C Twist 650 at mid output and vape alright with a very slight hint of cotton. From what I've read, it's supposed to go away fairly quick, but in my case it just starts getting stronger with each draw, to a point that it tastes like I'm smoking the cotton itself.
I'm asking for a solution or some sort of specific guide on how to prepare cotton for vaping. I know atomizers use cotton SPECIFICALLY for wicking, so I don't think that cotton is such a bad solution, and feel that I'm just doing something wrong. I also read that some people try boiling the cotton first, while others explain that it's unnecessary as there are no chemicals on the regular cotton balls that would need to be boiled out first. Going to try boiling the cotton and giving it another go, but in the meantime ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Keep in mind that I'm specifically asking for how to utilize cotton to the max, so no other suggestions, besides maybe an online purchase with links, would be helpful. Please, help meeeeee!!! :(

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver
Welcome to the forums, I use cotton in everything. You have to boil the cotton for 10-15 min and rinse one and boil again, then let dry. I had the same problem till I boiled my cotton. Side note I haven't used a flavor with in my evod or t3s. Just use on wick through the middle and slight snug and it will expand when it soaks the juice.

Wow, many thanks for the quick responses!

Sthur
Hell yeah! Really happy to hear that :) So you're saying I boil it for 10-15 minutes, rinse, and then boil ANOTHER 10-15 minutes before being able to use it? And do you boil a ready wick or a whole ball?
Also, you're saying you don't use any flavor wicks, and just replace the coil wick with the cotton? I've seen someone show how to do that very easily, but my original silica wick in the coil is still intact. Would you suggest removing it or just adding a little cotton for the flavor wick on top?

Razzlematt
I honestly don't know, been living here for so long, but usually sitting at home and working, also my Spanish is next to non existent as I never really have enough time or strength to keep learning it through my Rosetta Stone :\

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Many off the shelf brands of cotton balls are whitened with either chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide. Nasty.

Do you have access to a health food type store? I buy organic cotton balls that have not been treated with either. I still boil them in distilled water a couple of times, then dry.

Look for cotton balls whitened with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) it's harmless, and no need to boil them. Carefully pull the silica wick out of the coil. Roll up a length of cotton, and stuff it into the coil and pull it through. You should feel slight resistance when doing this. Trim that to the edges of the flange of the coil. Now soak it with a couple of drops of juice. Roll up another piece of cotton the same size as the one in the coil and place it on top of the coil. Wet it with juice. Put the chimney and the silicone gasket on it. Put it in the tank and take a couple of primer pulls. Vape.

indypilotcfi

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Indiana
I was not pleased with cotton when I first tried it out but after a while I got the hang of it and it works really well now. I'm probably repeating what others have said but here it goes:

Get organic cotton balls

Boil them for 15 mins, drain, boil again for 15 mins, drain. And, since I'm OCD, I boiled them a third time. Drain the water between each boil.

Squeeze out as much water as you can. I remember when I did this, I thought they were unusable because of how compressed they became. Dont worry about it.

Now, the fun part. Take a need with some thread. Thread all of the cotton balls up on the thread and hang them to dry somewhere that is fairly free of dust. My wife loved the new decoration. :facepalm: I let them dry for two days. After the first day, I fluffed them up a bit just by pinching the sides and tugging. After they are dry, take them off the string and store them in a ziplock bag.

When you are ready to use it, unroll a cotton ball (wash your hands first!!). You'll have to dig a little but you'll find where you can unroll it. When you unroll it, it'll be about 1 1/2in, maybe 2in wide. I usually find about 1/4th of the width of it is good for a wick. Cut some off and start to twist it. You don't need to make it super tight. Just small enough that you can get it through your coil. Feed it through your coil until you start to feel some resistance. Don't pull any harder because you might damage the coil. Cut off the longest end.

This part is if you want a flavor wick. Take the part you cut off and put it on top. Reinsert the post on top so it holds the flavor wick down. Take some nail clipper and trim the sides off.

I usually don't drop liquid on before I put the post back on. What I do is fill the tank, reassemble it, and take 3-4 long drags without the battery. After that, I let it sit for a few minutes standing up (with the coil down) so the liquid really soaks in good. Then you are good to go!!

I find that this gives me the best flavor. Probably more info than you wanted but I hope it helps!

Last edited:

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
How often would you say the cotton needs replacing? I think I've seen posts around the forum that mention cotton burning easily.

Pretty much as needed. With my PT2's, when the flavor falls off, or when I start to see more juice leaking in the connection of my mod. If I want to change the tank over to another flavor.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
On the t3s, I've never had much success with cotton as flavor wicks. I would either use too much, which leads to choking of the juice, or too little, which leads to leaks.

I do use cotton as the main wick and find it easier to use butchers twine or 2mm ekowool as the flavor wick. The flavor wicks stay in place better and no leaks up to the last drop of juice. You may have to try different sizes of ekowool as your coil diameter may be different from mine. My coil is about 1/16, inner diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread