more coil wraps = more or less resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Dont trust an online calculator for your resistance. It will give you a good idea, but there is no substitution for checking with a meter or ohm reader.

or

I realize. I assure you. But it's nice to know what amps your build will be producing. I have a meter that's not what I meant. I was just demonstrating my devotion to safety

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Uhhhh I didn't mean that they are really 35a continuous guys. I'm just saying that if someone didn't touch 20 amps there is nothing wrong with them. But people act like if you use them for 15 amp builds that's still a bad idea. That is why I feel they get a bad rap. They are fine in certain set ups. Great even, from what I've been told. But only in CERTAIN builds that won't push the continuous amp rating

monkey39

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Texas
Also, its imperative that you have a way to measure the resistance of your coil before you fire it. An ohm reader, digital multimeter, or a regulated mod with a resistance meter. Only a fool relies on the number of wraps to guess at the resistance.

What mod and what batteries will you be using?

Absolutely! I have an ohm reader and regulated mod, but as a new-ish rebuilder, the app was helpful in narrowing down the trial-and-error phase for me.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Dont trust an online calculator for your resistance. It will give you a good idea, but there is no substitution for checking with a meter or ohm reader.

or

Do you even realize what kind of calculator I was talking about? There is no way that anyone could think to use the kind I'm talking about to measure the resistance of something that they just made. It's where you plug in the volts and ohms that you just used a meter to test so it can tell you how many amps that build pulls. It's so you know if you are within your safety zone.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
VTC4, gp paps clone. Don't worry I've done a lot of research on safety. I understand the mathematics and I have a voltage-amperage-wattage-resistance calculator bookmarked.

That's good, but you need an actual ohm meter -- is the "paps" an APV with the bells and whistles, or a mech? If it's a mech, then you need an ohm meter.

Andria

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Do you even realize what kind of calculator I was talking about? There is no way that anyone could think to use the kind I'm talking about to measure the resistance of something that they just made. It's where you plug in the volts and ohms that you just used a meter to test so it can tell you how many amps that build pulls. It's so you know if you are within your safety zone.

I think we all know what you're referring to (steam-engine, coiltoy, etc), but trust someone who says "don't just follow a calculator".

I started rebuilding EVOD BCC heads for my ego batteries. Shooting for 1.8 ohms, didn't have anything to check resistance, it turned out to be 2.2: 20% more than I wanted.

Got myself my first rebuildable atomizer the other day, and a VTR for use/checking resistance. I wanted a 1.3 ohm coil, ended up with a 0.9 ohm coil: almost 45% less resistance than I wanted. In the dangerous direction. Suffice to say, tossed that one and built another.

I wanted a 10/9 wrap, who knows what it ended up being. It's very, very hard to count how many wraps make up the microcoil you've just built.

I used coil calculators each time, but sometimes these things just happen. It is absolutely necessary if using a mech mod, or building even moderately low resistance coils, for me.

ETA: especially with the paps, a (beautiful) mech mod and your first time rebuilding, I would expect a short at some point. They is not good when your PV isn't regulated, and I'm sure you know that.

Last edited:

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
For a computer, there is Steam Engine | free vaping calculators -- it's got all kinds of calculators in it, for all kinds of stuff related to vaping.

Andria

:laugh: I just went to their coil wrapping calculator and it said I needed 17.97 wraps for a dual coil set up with 26 gauge kanthol. That would end up like a 6.0 :(

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I think we all know what you're referring to (steam-engine, coiltoy, etc), but trust someone who says "don't just follow a calculator".

I started rebuilding EVOD BCC heads for my ego batteries. Shooting for 1.8 ohms, didn't have anything to check resistance, it turned out to be 2.2: 20% more than I wanted.

Got myself my first rebuildable atomizer the other day, and a VTR for use/checking resistance. I wanted a 1.3 ohm coil, ended up with a 0.9 ohm coil: almost 45% less resistance than I wanted. In the dangerous direction. Suffice to say, tossed that one and built another.

I wanted a 10/9 wrap, who knows what it ended up being. It's very, very hard to count how many wraps make up the microcoil you've just built.

I used coil calculators each time, but sometimes these things just happen. It is absolutely necessary if using a mech mod, or building even moderately low resistance coils, for me.

ETA: especially with the paps, a (beautiful) mech mod and your first time rebuilding, I would expect a short at some point. They is not good when your PV isn't regulated, and I'm sure you know that.

Exactly right... wrapping a coil is not difficult -- but doing it the same way each and every time... that takes a lot of practice! My own favorite build is 7 wraps of 29ga kanthal around a 7/64 bit; my consistency has improved a lot as time goes by and more wrapping has gone on, but it still can vary between 1.7-1.8 ohms. It's high enough that any of my devices can power it, and there's really no difference in taste or performance, but if I was wrapping lower ohm coils, that .1 difference might be a real issue. Consistency is obviously an issue if you're doing dual-coils, since they have to be the same.

Having an ohm meter is also really valuable because devices can vary in how they report the ohms; my iTaste vv3s always report .1 higher than my Sigelei or Vamo. I have a Smok Omnitester, so if ever I'm not sure what the mod is telling me is right, I can test my coil on the Omnitester. For me it's not so much a safety issue since I'm not sub-ohming or even very close to what my mods won't go below, but it's helpful for accuracy.

Andria

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
:laugh: I just went to their coil wrapping calculator and it said I needed 17.97 wraps for a dual coil set up with 26 gauge kanthol. That would end up like a 6.0 :(

This is pretty much what I'm running on my Plume Veil. 18 wraps of 26ga Kanthal, dual coils, 0.7 Ohms. Works real nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread