Resistivity formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny2Vapes

Oct 27, 2018
You'll probably get more response in this forum:
Coil Builds
If you want it moved, report your post and ask a mod to move it.
Can't help with your question, as I don't use clapton coils anymore.
Welcome to the forum...:thumb:
Ah thatnk you! I'm still learning this forum formula. It's different from reddit but more useful for me

Johnny2Vapes

Oct 27, 2018
The outer wrap does not carry any current, if you can calculate the core resistance then you are good to go.
Or use steam-engine
I've tried steam engine but it doesn't factor in the coil diameter. Nor does it calculate the change in mass with wraps. It just gives ohms/inch or ohms/ft . So I tend not to use it, if there was a formula to calculate it out that would be easier for me

Reactions: stols001

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I think Steam Engine's Wire Wizard is a reasonable approach. Beyond that, I guess you could whip out your certified milliohm meter and measure the actual wire you are using, do the calculations of length per distance of each wrap, calculate the distance of the clapton wire, calculate the parallel resistance accounting for leakage. If you mod is using PWM you could consider interelectrode capacitance and coil flux reactivity. Naw..... not today.

• Agree
Reactions: Johnny2Vapes

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Steam engine is a good reference for coil winding and I use it all the time. For complex coils your best friend is a good volt-ohm meter or your mod's resistance readings (after the fact). The most complicated coils I have built are just single and duals. At the low wattages I vape I couldn't heat one of those designer coils to a decent vape level, anyway. :)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Okay so that clears up why it was always wrong. Much like a syntax error. Thank you!

Not exactly a syntax error but understand what you are eluding to.

Both the Coil Wrapping and Wire Wizard app allows you to see the resistance per length of the wire Steam is using for its model. To achieve any kind of accuracy, your wire should closely resemble this. You can also enter custom wire properties.

Steam is just a guide that will give us an idea on how our coils will work. It does not take into account other influences such as the internal resistance of your mod, atomizer or even temperature should that come into play. Mod’s and Ohm meters may also not be 100% accurate in what they read.

Johnny2Vapes

Oct 27, 2018
I think Steam Engine's Wire Wizard is a reasonable approach. Beyond that, I guess you could whip out your certified milliohm meter and measure the actual wire you are using, do the calculations of length per distance of each wrap, calculate the distance of the clapton wire, calculate the parallel resistance accounting for leakage. If you mod is using PWM you could consider interelectrode capacitance and coil flux reactivity. Naw..... not today.
Yeah I maybe good with basic calculus but I won't sit still to do a 30min equation like that. I also use mostly parallel mods or tube mods. So the most I tend to vape at is .08 to .13 ohms. If that gives any narrower range to help out. I think I could also just use my GENE chip and get a rough estimate of a clapton coil starting from 5 wraps to 8 wraps per single coil and gauge that way using an avg right?

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Yeah I maybe good with basic calculus but I won't sit still to do a 30min equation like that. I also use mostly parallel mods or tube mods. So the most I tend to vape at is .08 to .13 ohms. If that gives any narrower range to help out. I think I could also just use my GENE chip and get a rough estimate of a clapton coil starting from 5 wraps to 8 wraps per single coil and gauge that way using an avg right?

Pretty much. Ya gotta figure you are going to put it on a mod that puts out about +/- 10% tolerance in VW, TC, or whatever and "reads" resistances within about 5%. Ya really don't need to try to get it down to 6 significant digits. As per an above comment, remember each core wire added will divide that average by number of cores. The clapton wire really is insignificant and is mostly heated by heat conduction not current passing through the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread