Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I know, as a seasoned vaper I always thought I was too well informed to try those "proprietary" versions of the 808 carts but I just got some volts in and I gotta say, they are in fact better than Kangers. Go figure.

I can't comment on lifespan yet, but my generic kanger horizontals from goodprophets seem to work just as well as my Halo G6 cartos. The draw tends to be a bit tighter, but I used to smoke analogs with a very tight draw so I don't mind (sometimes even prefer it). Wish I had some instrumentation so I could compare ohms, but then I'd waste even more time playing and study less ;)

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
I am sorry, no cartomisers are designed with the intent to last months. I will openly admit that carto mileage does vary, even with the same brand. How much was your daily smoking habit and now compare that to a carto lasting let's say a week?

I have gone through refurbishing a carto it never vapes as fresh as a new one. To me it is all about performance, not frugality:)

I vape 2-3mls a day through theses.
If you have some free time.........http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ego-type-models/189567-echo-thread.html

Last edited:

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
what I've been doing lately until I get the entire unstuff and restuff down is simply pulling up the stuffing enough to clear the coil and flushing gently after a vodka bath. Then I stuff back in while it is still moist enough to hold it's shape.

For draw issues, unrelated to the threading and airflow, I tap on my palm like I'm packing smokes. Almost the same quick light touch. Mouth part to palm if it's too tight, threads to palm of it's too airy. Seems to allow the stuffing to find it's natural place in the cart.

What I've done is to pull the outer tube off and just wrap the poly around the coil and wires then slide the outer tube back on. Works fine just don't do it too tight or drag will be stiff.

Are you placing the cart on a battery thread and wiggling until the shell comes loose? My echoes won't do this but perhaps my kr8 horizontals (and similar hc carts) will. No leakage after you replace the shell? I'm confused my this method. Any way a picture could be posted of the cart with its' shell off?

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
what I've been doing lately until I get the entire unstuff and restuff down is simply pulling up the stuffing enough to clear the coil and flushing gently after a vodka bath. Then I stuff back in while it is still moist enough to hold it's shape.

What do you use to clear the coil?

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
What do you use to clear the coil?

I meant pulling the stuffing up just enough so it's no longer around the coil so I know my rinse is cleaning it off better. I just use a bent paper clip to hook into the stuffing. The more rigid the better. Or you can use the tap method the get the stuffing slightly above the tube. Works well if the stuffing is wet.

On a topic of cleaning, have you searched for a high proof vodka for cleaning? Someone near me tipped me off to Devil's Spring which is 80%. Everclear, of course being a no no in NYS

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Yes, I have a bottle of of 160 proof Devil's Spring, its what I use for carto cleaning, as well as general battery thread and carto thread cleaning with toothpicks, etc. Works great. Also used it +VG + menthol crystals to make 10 ml of my own menthol drops, works like a charm :)

I think I got it at a local liquor store for about 16 bucks. I'm on Long Island, but not sure that matters you should be able to score it upstate.

Also works great to add to your 80 proof vodka for a wicked head rush ;) lol

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
With respect, I'd like to see a few posts in this thread vanish.

This was a thread about restuffing cartomizers and associated tinkering, not about cartomizer life span. And it was going quite well.

There are plenty of threads regarding the latter subject which beg the question that you're attempting to address, and I do find it interesting. But for purposes of this thread, I couldn't care less what the 'truth' is, its not relevant. Please stop muddying the waters.

Thanks

Cyrus
Then I would recommend you posting your thread in the appropriate section e.g tips and tricks.

Technical issues = If you are having a problem with your PV, chat here about possible solutions.

Refurbishing cartos is not a "technical" issue perse.

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
You mean the outer metal casing? how do you yank that off?

Are you doing this with 808 vertical or horizontal coils?

PS: On two experiment friendly horizonta 808l cartos I worked the inner diaper back around the air tub with fine tweezers. Then I cut the poly fill into vertical strips and worked them back in one by one with tweezers. Seems to work, but I couldn't get all of the poly fill back in this way, so the carto holds less juice. Still vapes real nice though :)

Put the carto on a battery and wiggle the tube. It will come off. Clearos are the easiest

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
So I had some more cartos that needed rehab. On one of them, I decided to skip the dry burn part. Flushed with a baby syringe in 160 proof, came out looking nice and white. Then I did my reverse taryn spin and WOOSH....all the stuffing flew out! LOL

I thought: Damn i guess I'm gonna HAVE to learn how to restuff now with a straw

Did 9-10 dry burns (takes a lot bc my damn manual has a 6 second cut off). Blazing cherry red!. Flushed out the crud.

I found the cap to one of my dental mini brushes was JUST a hair too large to be perfect for a straw, but seemed to work. When I got the diaper/polyfill back in, there was some space around the air tube. I grabbed the diaper with fine tweezers and wrapped it around a bit tighter. At least looking down from the battery end, it seems perfect.

I was thinking, perhaps a perfectly snug fit isn't necessary as long as the polyfill/diaper are pushed down far enough to accomodate the wick at the bottom. Then you can tweak with tweezers, and filling with cause everything to expand and fill out anyway.

We'll see how it vapes, I'm letting them air dry.

PS: I thought the idea of pulling up the batting enough to clear the coil was a good one. And decided to dry burn like this. It works great, the problem is, all the smokey ash crap comes floating up and sticks to the poly fill, making it stink, and requires another polyfill clean in addition to a clean of the inner casing/coils. So the good news is, it doesn't burn the poly fill at all if you lift up a cm or so. The bad news is, it makes it STINK and the little black ash things float up and stain it requiring a re rinse.

Gonna stop at a coffee place today to see if I can find thin straws. Stop and Shop only has massive party straws, meh.

Cyrus out

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Put the carto on a battery and wiggle the tube. It will come off. Clearos are the easiest

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

that sounds scary! Does this work with vertical coil 808s as well as horizontal coils? PLayed with it for a second and I couldn't shake the fear that I was going to snap the battery lol

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
So i've had some weird results.

On one carto, I restuffed, works like dynamite

Another carto I turned into a drip cartomizer by just inserting the diaper and a snippet of polyfill, works like a charm

On another, I restuffed, works like dynamite, tastes like burning coils (the same smell you get when you dry burn). Flushed, ,resoaked in ETOH 24 hrs, dry burned again, flushed the hell out of it, restuffed, same thing. Pushed the stuffing down further until juice leaked out, cleaned up, same thing again. Smells and tastes like burning coils.

Not sure what happened, but can't seem to shake the burnt crap. I'm going to destuff it and see if it tastes just as bad on dripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread