Riddle me this- (regarding temp control)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonMM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Lakeville, MN
And I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place for this question. I wasn't quite sure where it fit in exactly...

But.. what I need to know is.. if all Ni200 wire is NR, then is all NR wire Ni200?

The reason I ask is because APPARENTLY the ipv4 I ordered is going to be sent to me with temp control, which requires Ni200 wire to utilize that feature. Now, I have a couple packs of NR wire here, but I'm not sure if they will be suitable for use on my device or if I will need to pick up a spool of actual Ni200 wire.

Does that make sense? I'm sort of confused by all the details too, haha.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
not all NR wire is nickle -- I would suggest spending a few bucks and picking up a roll of Ni200

otherwise who knows what you toking on :) not to mention nickle was specifically chosen due to its fairly linear curve in resistance when the temp fluctuates

*edit* There are threads on ecf with people using silver NR wire for example.

SharonMM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Lakeville, MN
Thanks you two. Sigh, another spool it is. It just never ends!

You're probably right about it needing a firmware update. I emailed the GB host real quick to see if they could confirm but he said he'd have to get back to me. (Which seems a little shady to me.. shouldn't they be on top of these things?)

Anyhow.. I'm actually thinking of maybe pulling out of this. I don't want to be the test bunny for a first generation chip, but on the other hand, p4y has a fairly solid reputation. Plus, I really didn't want to mess around with temp control in the first place.. thats a whole new learning curve to tackle.

But on the other hand.. IF it actually works, and it delivers all it claims, it would be the deal of the year at the $60 I have invested. And if it doesn't.. well at least I'm not out much. Have spent 10 times that amount on stuff i didn't even like or use.

Sigh.. what to do, what to do?

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
Thanks you two. Sigh, another spool it is. It just never ends!

You're probably right about it needing a firmware update. I emailed the GB host real quick to see if they could confirm but he said he'd have to get back to me. (Which seems a little shady to me.. shouldn't they be on top of these things?)

Anyhow.. I'm actually thinking of maybe pulling out of this. I don't want to be the test bunny for a first generation chip, but on the other hand, p4y has a fairly solid reputation. Plus, I really didn't want to mess around with temp control in the first place.. thats a whole new learning curve to tackle.

But on the other hand.. IF it actually works, and it delivers all it claims, it would be the deal of the year at the $60 I have invested. And if it doesn't.. well at least I'm not out much. Have spent 10 times that amount on stuff i didn't even like or use.

Sigh.. what to do, what to do?

You could grab a manger subtank or something like that. Those have premade nickel coils as an option. If you can build an rda though, you surely can build one with nickel.

Kidd2244

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
As I understand it it has to be pure nickel wire. I'm not sure if all pure nickel is ni200. My wire just says pure nickel and it's working amazing on my vapor flask 40w. So much better flavor than with kanthal. And it is very easy to work nickel is a lot softer than kanthal. Just remember to build standard coils and not micro coils so I am told.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
A: it needs to be nickel.
And unfortunately,
B: Unless you have wicked connections your ipv4 isn't shipping with temp control. Supposedly it's going to be a firmware update later on.

The group buy I am looking at is not going to ship until after the first of April and the firmware update is scheduled for the first of April, so it may it may come temp ready or not. My understanding is that P4U is waiting for the firmware before shipping them.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
A: it needs to be nickel.
And unfortunately,
B: Unless you have wicked connections your ipv4 isn't shipping with temp control. Supposedly it's going to be a firmware update later on.

lol unless in typical pre-order fashion there is another delay and then it might come already installed.

SharonMM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Lakeville, MN
Well the GB host got back to me and said whether the 4 will come with temp control installed all depends on the date they ship. They were originally supposed to ship on 3/5, so since they're being held up anyways, I really hope p4u goes the extra mile and just updates them all. But, who knows. I guess I'm going to be a test bunny.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Well the GB host got back to me and said whether the 4 will come with temp control installed all depends on the date they ship. They were originally supposed to ship on 3/5, so since they're being held up anyways, I really hope p4u goes the extra mile and just updates them all. But, who knows. I guess I'm going to be a test bunny.

I just got in on a GB tonight for the IPV4 with temp control. Probably the same one.
Supposed to ship from factory around April 1st, so hopefully it will have the temp control installed. If not, it should not be a problem to do the upgrade when the firmware is available to download.

HDMontana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Montana
I just got in on a GB tonight for the IPV4 with temp control. Probably the same one.
Supposed to ship from factory around April 1st, so hopefully it will have the temp control installed. If not, it should not be a problem to do the upgrade when the firmware is available to download.
If they would released this with TP already installed, I would be all over it. Maybe they will. Like when they upped the wattage on the IPV3 at release instead of a firmware upgrade. Later they did do an available upgrade to the 165 watts.

HD

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
And I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place for this question. I wasn't quite sure where it fit in exactly...

But.. what I need to know is.. if all Ni200 wire is NR, then is all NR wire Ni200?

The reason I ask is because APPARENTLY the ipv4 I ordered is going to be sent to me with temp control, which requires Ni200 wire to utilize that feature. Now, I have a couple packs of NR wire here, but I'm not sure if they will be suitable for use on my device or if I will need to pick up a spool of actual Ni200 wire.

Does that make sense? I'm sort of confused by all the details too, haha.

The erstwhile "NR Wire/s" had only two variants ~ Nickel or Silver. And unless you purchased 'silver wire' separately the chances are that the ones which came with your RBA (e.g. Diver v2, Sophia etc.) are Nickel.

I too have a boatload of those 'supplied' NR wires, mostly in 32AWG ~ and I'm using them for my TP builds successfully. Yes they'd be off a li'l vis-a-vis Ni200, but it works perfectly under TP! Silver won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread