The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ridiculously over-rated mods

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by sonicbomb, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    The trend of producing mods with ludicrously ambitious power ratings has reached a new level. Putting aside the obvious safety issues, there are no two batteries on the market capable of getting anywhere near the power levels of these chips. It's dishonest and could lead to people injuring themselves.

Sigelei GW 257W TC Box Mod UK
    Sigelei GW 257W
    Arguably if you used two Samsung INR21700-30T (35A) you could use the first 0.1 volts before you hit the internal 35 amp limit of the chip, and the amp limit of the batteries. And thats one battery, and how many of the thousands of people who will buy this will even know about it.

Authentic Dovpo MVV 300W VV Mechanical Mod
    Dovpo MVV Mechanical Mod 300 watts
    300 watts from two 18650s, utterly ridiculous and downright dangerous to even try.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    And it keeps getting worse. It's an arms race with the companies bluffing each other how powerful their stuff is while leaving the user with utterly ridiculous expectations. Besides, I've yet to see anyone build a load that's somewhat useful for actually vaping that would require those sorts of power settings.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. sonicbomb

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    To give some perspective -
    Your average relatively new vaper will be using a (hopefully) quality 20 amp battery meaning a maximum wattage of 120 watts for two cells. Even if they know how regulated mods work and and have taken the time to research batteries, using a 30 amp cell the best they can hope for is 180 watts, very short runtimes and quite possible cutoff from voltage sag before they reach half the batteries mAh.

To use a car analogy - these mods have a speedometer that goes to 200 mph, but are sold with an empty engine bay built for an engine that does not exist.

It's cynical, unethical, dishonest and should be illegal.

• Agree x 14
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. rob33

rob33 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2009
    Concord, NC
    They gonna come with a 120/220 plug and a optional 12v car battery on wheels. Really what do you really need to a little vaping.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    Truth in advertising is actually a law, or set of laws, in the United States.

Advertising FAQ's: A Guide for Small Business

Granted, it's only for our citizens - doesn't affect China any unless they sell here? Not sure how it works with overseas manufacturing. ...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. sonicbomb

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    The same here in the UK, China it seems are a law unto themselves.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  7. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Sigelei is kinda a Joke when it comes to Wattage Claims. And I like how when a YouTube Reviewer Calls them out on it they get Bent and use Sock Puppet attacks.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I have to be honest, it really doesn't bother me at all, because any mod I use that's a box mod will likely be overpowered. I will say, some of the internal batteries with lower wattage limits do surprise me with their longevity at closer to their "max" while some other mods just don't do as well. I know batteries play a role too and etc.

But, I do agree it is not doing the "new" "wanting the most powerful" vape person who is coming to vaping any favors. One, because as was stated, it's really hard to get a satisfying vape at 257 watts, and b) redlining anything, including a mod is just asking for trouble.

IDK how China law and US law interact, and frankly I'm not sure I want to find out, though. I mean, if we start holding Chinese makers to US law we may get a lot less innovation/higher prices/less access to vape stuff and etc. I imagine at some point the FDA may allow us to find out what that is going to be like, but I'm glad I have enough setups for me for now, to be happy moving forward.

I do wish manufacturers would knock it off, voluntarily, but I'd say the likelihood of that is slim to none....

Anna

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  9. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    BTW - As much as I think someone like Sigelei is Misrepresenting and Falsely stating their Wattage Outputs, I also Blame Retailers who just regurgitate OEM claims about what a Mod can do.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Well I only hit around 20 watts top on any mod so I wouldn't be interested in any mod claiming to do 300W in the first place.

I do like the 2 battery mods though just for the added length of battery charge.

I really like the 75w dual battery Therian DNA mod. Lasts a long time before having to change the battery.

Not sure why anyone would want to vape at 300w anyway

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  11. sonicbomb

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    This isn't about the viability of vaping at those kind of wattages, because if you really want to, use a big enough coil and enough air it is theoretically possible. The issue is with basic rules that vendors are supposed to adhere to, whereby the product needs to conform to the specifications that they claim it is capable of. That's not even covering the issues of users endangering themselves by attempting to do so, or at the very least having a disappointing experience or trashing their batteries in the process.

Vaping is under enough negative scrutiny as it is without the swathe of mods that fall within the scope of this thread. It makes me realise that despite vaping being a multi-billion dollar industry, it's still the bloody wild west as far as internal regulation is concerned. Just look at the re-wrapped battery market for another example.

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Self policing never works but then regulation can be good or it can stifle innovation as well

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Katdarling

Katdarling Bling Kween and spreadsheet monster. ;) Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    You nailed it, sonic!!!!

:thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Last summer I bought a Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus to replace an older RX200 whose 510 started to give me connection issues. I bought it knowing full well that it could never reach its advertised wattage power of 213 watts. I never vape over 40 watts, so the false advertising claims wasn't an issue for me. I liked its looks and pocketability. I liked the large multicolor screen and the actual battery voltage of both batteries on screen. I also liked its overall manufacturing quality.

As per my usual, I had fully researched this mod and knew exactly what I was getting. Having said that, it was soon designated to backup use when I got my JAC Vapour DNA75W a couple of months later. I get a full day's use with the single battery JAC; I was getting only a day's use with the two batteries in the Segelei, vaping at the same 30 watts and using the same batteries. The result of the better quality DNA board? Probably.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Love Love x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Mermaaan

Mermaaan Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    California
    The wattage arms race has been great for me! So many mods I never had to agonize over purchasing. I've never even owned a 2 battery mod as a single battery has always met my power and battery life needs just fine. The dna 75 was my unofficial cuttoff for regulated mod purchases - rarely venture over 40 watts, more often than not I'm in the 20 - 30 watt range. Same with my mech builds.

I do kinda feel bad for newer vapers though. They seem to be diving in and thinking that crazy premade clapton builds in atomizers that work best at over 100 w are the only option for a good vape.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    I like the wild west though... really I do.

I have never felt as if I'm inadequate to learn what I need to learn in order to stay safe and I don't see it as the job of governments to "protect" me from my own purchasing choices.

I'd take the wild west and it's dangers over the nanny state any day of the week.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. sonicbomb

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    I wasn't suggesting any additional government intervention, it just p****s me off that vapers are getting swizzed.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Like aftermarket battery manufacturers targetting vapors and exaggerating the amp ratings of their rewrapped batteries?

In a new and competitive market with most of the gear coming from China, I guess this is the state that we're stuck with. I'm open to all suggestions, but I don't want the FDA to be involved.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't think there is anything to fix it. Reviewers getting up in arms and trying to actually vape at max wattage with the best batteries they have might be a start. They won't do it though, and to be fair, I don't think I would either. Trying to vape at max wattages these days is kind of a suicide mission. If you combine that with bad batteries, I am in despair.

I don't like "I tested max wattage and it fired" much in a review, because there is a BIG difference between "test firing" once and actually vaping that sucker.

So, I guess we need to solicit our reviewers? That's the only option I see, but that still may not do much for that new cloud chaser and etc.

I agree that any and all solutions should not involve the FDA. We could all stop buying mods with vastly inflated specs, that might send a message but that also, IMO, is not going to happen. Although I believe my highest rated box mod at the moment is 120 watts... Nope, I lied, I have a Punk with it's 200 rating. I don't believe in that rating either.

Anna

Anna

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    The problem is that a lot of the reviews are not going to slam it because they want more free gear to review

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.