Rite Aid Decides Vaping is Wrong

What do you think about Rite Aid's decision?

• It hurts, but better age verification is a good thing for all of us.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Reducing choices for vapers is 100% wrong.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don't think Rite Aid's decision matters one way or the other.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Pharmacy chain Rite Aid is giving the boot to sales of electronic cigarettes and vaping products. While this will limit choice and availability for some vapers, we also see a potential silver lining.

Rite Aid Decides Vaping is Wrong
I was torn between it won’t matter and better age verification. Rite-aid is just one gas station garbage location. The interesting bit would be if they have different suppliers than the other gas station garbage locations.
vaping seems to be a big money war for dominance. That dominance is in the gas stations not the vape shops, and it’s amongst the garbage pods rather than the good devices. It’s also a very very dirty war. If rite-aid has the same suppliers and products as everyone else it won’t matter, because it’s one outlet amongst many. If they DON’T though a closer look might be in order.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I Don't see much of a Silver Lining in Rite Aid's decision to stop selling e-Cigarettes. Or any Major Retailer doing the same.

Because when 2022 rolls around, there is going to be a Significant Reduction in "Vape Shops". And the exposure to those who might consider Switching will be Greatly Reduced.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I Don't see much of a Silver Lining in Rite Aid's decision to stop selling e-Cigarettes. Or any Major Retailer doing the same.

Because when 2022 rolls around, there is going to be a Significant Reduction in "Vape Shops". And the exposure to those who might consider Switching will be Greatly Reduced.
Can you expand on that please?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why 2022? What vape shops? Why? What is happening then? There’s this vague warning but no information attached to it. I do not know what you are referring to.

I'm referring to the FDA Deadline where Non-Combustible "Tobacco Products" must have an Approved (or being Evaluated) PMTA to be able to be Sold in a US Market.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I think any business has the right to choose what they want to sell, I do however find it hypocritical to continue to sell cigarettes though.

I guess this move is telling; can't have the pharmaceutical industry they made their bed with challenged in any way by products that both work and are affordable..

halbgott

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2012
Despite them carrying crap vape gear it's really messed up they will still sell tobacco. And the 30 dollar + nicotine gum and patches. On the other hand it's within their rights as a business.

I'm reminded of the anti smoking regulations many states passed. First businesses were forced to spend money on sealed ventilated rooms to later have all smoking being banned indoors and even outside. In ny it is technically illegal to vape in parks meanwhile running your car or cooking with charcoal is ok. Now it's legitimate vape shops spending money to have flavors approved while there are multiple states looking to ban flavors. Seems it's a good time for small businesses to get out while they can. It just blows cause I know by me the majority of sales are for liquid. These people are just relentless.

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com

I see your point, zoiDman. I guess it's my hope that if purchases moved back to vape shops where checking ID is more strictly enforced, maybe it would reduce the hysteria that is pushing us in that direction. Sure, RiteAid won't be enough by itself but if more retailers followed suit and it helped put a stop to the rampant selling of vape products to minors that the big chains have been engaged in, maybe there'd be a hope of reversing the direction we are headed. But, like I said, I tend to look for ways to see the glass as half full and it's probably just wishful thinking, lol.

Reactions: zoiDman

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
Thank Heavens some of the time I live in Scotland where the NHS is committed to the view that vaping is 95% less harmful than smoking - two Vape shops in the toon and the pharmacy sells vape gear and coils at discount!
The difference between the way the FDA and, for example, Public Health England have been portraying vaping is night and day. I'm actually working on an article about just this topic, contrasting the opposing messaging/public health campaigns they have both put out. You're lucky your government is taking a sane approach!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I see your point, zoiDman. I guess it's my hope that if purchases moved back to vape shops where checking ID is more strictly enforced, maybe it would reduce the hysteria that is pushing us in that direction. Sure, RiteAid won't be enough by itself but if more retailers followed suit and it helped put a stop to the rampant selling of vape products to minors that the big chains have been engaged in, maybe there'd be a hope of reversing the direction we are headed. But, like I said, I tend to look for ways to see the glass as half full and it's probably just wishful thinking, lol.

I hate to say it, but I think the Only Thing that will quell the current Media driven Hysteria is a Round of Regulations and Time.

Things will Die Down on their own. All cycles do. But Policy makers will claim that Stricter Policies were the cause. And this will be Amplified by News Outlets.

The thing is, Everyday retailers are caught selling Alcohol to Minors. But that Isn't exactly front page news. Because the Public knows it has been going on for Decades.

And when you consider how many Legal alcohol sales are done as compared to Illegal sales, there's a Lot of Zeros to the right of the Decimal Point Percentage.

Unfortunately, that same thought process Isn't applied when it comes to e-Cigarettes.

Also, major Retailers dropping e-Cigarettes in a way De-Normalizes them. And to Some/Many, pushing them into a category about 2 levels up from stuff sold in "Head Shops".

Which is an Ironic twist, because the Major Retailers are chumping at the bit to sell the Stuff we used to need "Head Shops" for.

It's Funny, but the whole Underage Usage thing has got the Needle in the Red. But when people talk about Legalizing that Stuff that the "Head Shops" were for, there is ZERO Mention as to what will happen to Underage Stuff Usage. I mean Zilch.

That Youth Trends survey that all this Kid/Teen use Hysteria is based on had some Alarming numbers about Alcohol and Drug Use. But no one seems to be too upset about them. I guess the subliminal Stigma of Tobacco is greater than concern of Kids/Teen alcohol and drug use?

Last edited:

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
I agree with your point, it does de-normalize e-cigs and pushes them into that "head shop" category where they need a separate location because they're not acceptable to the mainstream. Interesting about the numbers on teen alcohol and drug use, do you have a link to where you found that, I'd like to take a look.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree with your point, it does de-normalize e-cigs and pushes them into that "head shop" category where they need a separate location because they're not acceptable to the mainstream. Interesting about the numbers on teen alcohol and drug use, do you have a link to where you found that, I'd like to take a look.

The numbers come from here...

Welcome to the MTF Website
http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/pubs/monographs/mtf-overview2018.pdf

I have a single Graphic Histogram (somewhere) that gives a Nice, Precise Break Down of the Monitoring the Future data for Daily/Occasional use for various Drugs, Alcohol, Smoking, e-Cigarettes.

I'll look for it and Post It if I can find it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I'll look for it and Post It if I can find it.

This Isn't the one I was looking for. But it is Similar. And Based on the same Monitoring the Future data.

MTF%2BGraph%2B122118.gif

Tobacco Truth: Federal Officials Obsessed By Teen Vaping, But Ignore Teen Drinking and Toking

Notice there is 2 Data Sets for Vaping.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Wow, thanks for that info, zoiDman, that's fascinating information and something more people should be bringing attention to. :thumb:

Yeah... It is a Classic Example of Cherry Picking the data you would like to use to Support your Agenda/Policy. And throwing the rest out as a "Distraction" to hearts and minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread