Status
Not open for further replies.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Ok. So my normal mix for eliquid is 70/30 or 80/20 pg/vg. But today I've been using an eliquid that's 60/40 vg/pg. My coil is the same as it's always been & it's always worked great. But with this juice, ever since I cleaned the coil & switched out the cotton my RM2 is behaving really badly with this juice and I don't know why.

Does the higher VG juice take longer to wick into the cotton than the higher pg juices I've been using? That's the only thing I can think of that would be different. Also I notice that when I draw off the RM2 the draw goes from a little tight to really airy in the same draw, like something gets in the way of the air hole. I know nothing IS in the way of the air hole as I've checked several times & I've even moved the coil to make sure.

It's also not very flavorful at all and when I watch the coil to see how it's firing it's not producing the kind of vapor I think it should be. It's way way less than my other liquids & considering it's a higher VG it should be at least as much if not more.

Any thoughts on what my problem is so I can straighten it out?

Also, I'm using a 1.4 ohm, 30g wrapped microcoil with cotton (yarn) wicking @ around 3.7 volts.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Ok. So my normal mix for eliquid is 70/30 or 80/20 pg/vg. But today I've been using an eliquid that's 60/40 vg/pg. My coil is the same as it's always been & it's always worked great. But with this juice, ever since I cleaned the coil & switched out the cotton my RM2 is behaving really badly with this juice and I don't know why.

Does the higher VG juice take longer to wick into the cotton than the higher pg juices I've been using? That's the only thing I can think of that would be different. Also I notice that when I draw off the RM2 the draw goes from a little tight to really airy in the same draw, like something gets in the way of the air hole. I know nothing IS in the way of the air hole as I've checked several times & I've even moved the coil to make sure.

It's also not very flavorful at all and when I watch the coil to see how it's firing it's not producing the kind of vapor I think it should be. It's way way less than my other liquids & considering it's a higher VG it should be at least as much if not more.

Any thoughts on what my problem is so I can straighten it out?

Also, I'm using a 1.4 ohm, 30g wrapped microcoil with cotton (yarn) wicking @ around 3.7 volts.

You may have to adjust your squonking. As the VG is much thicker you need a longer, harder squonk to coat the wick/coil. If you were vaping 80% PG that is very thin juice and a squonk feeds much more more juice than 60% VG. make sense?

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
yup. that's what I was thinking the problem was also but I wasn't sure. I just didn't think that 60% was very high & therefore was not going to be that much of a problem. I guess I was incorrect lol. Thanks. :)

I only use 100% VG juice. So does Robert.

You just need to allow a little time for the wick to soak in the juice. I use cotton wick.

I have no problem with the RM2, REO's and VG juice at 100%. My coils are usually 1.0-1.2 and 2.2 for my VV REO's.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Post pic of your coil. we tend to rely on coating the coil and wick during a squonk instead of the wick truly wicking from the floor of the RM2 up. short tails work better than long. how big a diameter is your coil? Have you tried a lower ohm in the 1.0 to 1.2 range?

I don't have a way to post a pic right now, but it's a 1/16 diameter coil. I've been using it for a few weeks now with no problems until today. My wick tails are the same as they have been with my other juices. They're fairly short but there's a tiny bit on each side.

No I have not tried making a lower ohm coil yet as this coil has been working pretty well (until today). It's just with this juice that it's been behaving like this.

HST, I have used this juice on another dripper I have & that one has a 1.4 ohm coil too & it vapes ok on that one. I'm thinking my squonk is the problem the more I think about it since this is a thicker juice & I'm just not used to it. But I will also try it on a lower ohm atty & see if that makes a difference in performance. I really do like this juice so I'd like to get this worked out.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Sorry, ignore this post. Ignore the man behind the curtain. I read the whole thing wrong and I cant delete this. Sorry to waste your time. Well as long as I'm here here's a badge for anyone that wants one.
rEONAUT%20bADGE-S.jpg

Sorry Zmaul, didnt mean to get off course here. Good luck.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I vape with 30/70 PG/VG, have to due to allergies. I've never had a problem with wicking. I simply remove the drip tip, look down inside the RM2 and squonk until juice reaches top of coil/ posts. Then I let the excess recede, and I'm good for 4 - 6 vapes. When I clean my RM2's I always slide a needle through the air hole, just to keep it unobstructed. Cotton wicking works fine for me.
Check to see if your coil is up high enough to allow air and juice to flow completely around it, even underneath. Sometimes heavier juices can 'cling' between the deck and the bottom of the coil, so I raise my coils. This does affect vapor production, and therefore flavor.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
possibly you've re-wicked your cotton a little tighter or denser then before, that would give you less everything..

try re-wicking with a small spike rolled in the cotton followed by a nice loose fluffy bit, worth a try

I use yarn. I use 2 strands (1 piece has 4 strands & I use 2) as this has proven to be the best amount for good wicking with the PG. Does higher vg require more wicking? If so I would have to build a bigger diameter coil.

But I have used this juice before I got my reo & with my dripper the same coil with the same amount of wick has worked fine.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Check to see if your coil is up high enough to allow air and juice to flow completely around it, even underneath. Sometimes heavier juices can 'cling' between the deck and the bottom of the coil, so I raise my coils. This does affect vapor production, and therefore flavor.

This is interesting. I didn't think about the thickness of the juice maybe causing air flow problems. I will definitely look at my coil & see if maybe that's an issue. I noticed that this juice is causing some weird airflow problems & what you mentioned here might very well be what all that's about. Thanks.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I use yarn. I use 2 strands (1 piece has 4 strands & I use 2) as this has proven to be the best amount for good wicking with the PG. Does higher vg require more wicking? If so I would have to build a bigger diameter coil.

But I have used this juice before I got my reo & with my dripper the same coil with the same amount of wick has worked fine.

higher vg needs more time to soak into the wick.. think of the pg as water and poor it onto a taught blanket it will run through pretty much straight away But do the same with honey/syrup as an example of the vg and you will be waiting a while..

and also.. just maybe the difference in the shiny surface(eg eel) of your rda compared to the (eg snake)porous surface of the rm2 was enough for you to notice plus coupled with a low coil causing more surface tension... but don't take my word for it because im not a scientist, its just my observations...
for argument sake if you were to put a really really thin layer of cotton in your shiney rda base, which is what I would do and I mean wafer thin like paper and dripped in your vg juice the surface tension would hold a surprising amount between the fibres and you would get better drainage to coil, flavour and clouds compared to your rda being packed out with cotton wick which would hold onto juice that wouldn't even reach your coil and in turn mutes the flavour

if I wash out my rm2 which is rare for me I make sure I get all the water out by blowing, shaking and drying with a towel, they hold a bit of liquid under the ceramic so you want to get it all out orelse the water may mix with your juice..
then once mounted make sure you give it a few nice squonks to get juice all through any gaps in and around the ceramic base..

and you could make your coil on a diagonal instead of horizontal with the bigger gap the squonk hole side

get the coil as close as you can to the air intake without giving a short... I have mine so close sometimes that when I spin the cap on it sometimes rubs on the coil so I have to take the cap off and nudge the coil away a little
have the hole centred or just above the coil for flavour or below for throat hit

um what else..

oh yeah.. and with all that been said I been using 30g 4 wrap open coils on 7/64 id at 1.1ohms with cotton wick that I rolled on a big safety pin to keep a centre hole through the cotton.. cotton is snipped 3mm each side of coil... great clouds/flavour and can take short or long hits on the cyclone because I can get shorter tails

sorry for such a long post I got bored and it wasted some time :)

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I had a similar problem , made a nice coil ,vaping great then not so great. thought it was the battery getting low, changed batt, better still not great. Went to change the wick and the coil moved ahhh hahhh tightened the screws and back to greatness.

I had that exact same thing yesterday.

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
All great suggestions: I think

1. A pic tells a thousand words but I understand you can't right now

2. Not sure if someone covered this but um what happens if you take the higher vg juice out and replace it with the juice you've been using- does it go back to vaping good ?

3. It's already been said but if had to wild guess would say might be choked w too much wick

4 tighten the screws on the posts

5 listen to the great suggestions from people smarter than me who have already provided some and just wait till you can upload a photo

6. You as do I , wanna know why more than anything but I learned that sometimes there is no reason - vaping finicky at times - build another coil and see.

7. Don't give up - reo vaping heaven will be back in no time with some uploaded pics n experimenting safely

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I DIY my own juice 100% VG with Organic Flavorings.

I use around 25% flavoring in Alcohol base and add an extra 2ml of water to get it to the right consistency.

The first mod I made to the REO was to cut the hose at the bottom at an angle, so if it hits the bottom juice flow isn't constricted.

The second was to take a drill bit or the equivalent and push it into the hose to stretch it out. I found this increased the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread