RM3 has 2 airholes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
I've been starting to build dual coils on the RM3, always built a single 1.2 Ω. I've noticed the RM3 gets extremely hot at even a 0.6 ~ 0.8 Ω. Searching through here, I've been reading that a 3-post dual coil RM3 comes with 2 airholes, but the 2 I've owned only have ever had a single airhole.

I've widened the RM3 stock airhole to 1/16". Is it a good idea to drill another hole of the same size for the 2nd coil? The flavor is great right now, but the RM3 is getting quite hot.

Reactions: JC Okie

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
You can drill your own hole - won't disturb the chamber funtion. A drill press would be indicated - they're tiny lil suckers, those atties. Alternatively, if you drill a starter hole (not all the way through and of smaller diameter), you can use a bead reamer or conical file to finish for more precise work.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
You'd want to go ahead and drill the second hole 180 degrees from the first if you are going to run a dual coil in it.

The three post bases are confusing maybe when they are used for both the single and dual caps. But it does give the option of turning a single into a dual. My A6 single that is BF'd only has the normal two posts.

Reactions: camerajunkie

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Both the single and doubles are available on the Reo website. The base is the same but one comes with 2 holes and the other with one hole. I don't know if Rob sells the tops separately in the event you want to go from 1 hole to 2....and of course, there is always the drill option

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
Thanks everyone for the tips, just ordered an 8-inch drill press.

Tracey, you traded your RM8 to me ^_^ it's got a 0.27 ohm twisted 2 strand dual 3mm coils on it right now.

I think in my circle of friends when we ordered our dual coil rm3's we got single air hole top caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Thanks everyone for the tips, just ordered an 8-inch drill press.

Tracey, you traded your RM8 to me ^_^ it's got a 0.27 ohm twisted 2 strand dual 3mm coils on it right now.

I think in my circle of friends when we ordered our dual coil rm3's we got single air hole top caps.

I'm sure if you emailed or PM'd Rob, that he will set things right.

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
It's really ok, I ordered a drill press for other reasons of just making an air hole for a top cap.

Yes I broke 2 1/16th drill bits on the top caps, but I was able to exchange them and I'm learning about drilling small cylindrical items.

I just thought it was weird that a dual coil atty came stock with one airhole on every 3 post dual coil RM3 atty I've seen, which is 4 so far.

Also the dual airhole top cap isn't listed as an option on the site, it's either single coil or dual coil RM3, between myself and a co-worker, we've ordered 4 dual coil 3 post RM3s and they all came with single air holes.

Reactions: TraceyS

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I got a few RM3's a while back over the course of about 2 months. Always ordered the dual coil version. One order came with the single coil caps - one message to Rob and he made it all right. Mebbee reach out to him to check out your options (never hurts to have 'em).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread