Status
Not open for further replies.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I've been having problems with my Maxi RS. But I figured out what was wrong.

It appears that the two 16340 3v batteries (that come with the kit) don't work with all my attys !

The 18650 (3.7v) works!. Also just received the 4.8 nimh battery and that also works with all my attys.

Folks be carefull with buying those 16340 batts (the green ones) if you want to experience 6 v vaping.

Madvapes told me to send them back and they will make it right - so very good with MVs!

Just a heads-up!

What battery are you using for 4.8 volts. does that work well with dual coils (1.6)

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
These are the 4.8v ni-mh batts and charger. I can't speak for kgeiger002, but I use the ni-mh batts with dual coils every single day. It's my favorite set up.

Using the LiFeP04 3.2 volts. Which are closer to 7 volts of the charger. Just looking for comparison of 5 volts to 6 volts. I also have a 3.7 (4.1 off charger) and after vaping at 6 volts 4.1 volts too low

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I have a couple of madvapes voltage indicators. They let you see the load voltage while the atty or carto is being fired.

Here's what I learned: The lifep04 batts can only discharge around 3.1 or 3.2 amps which produces 5 to 5.2 load volts with a 1.6 ohm dual coil. So, even though you're charged to 7.0v, you are producing around 5.0 when the circuit is complete. My BDL IMR 18350s stacked can produce around 6.2 load volts even though they are charged to 8.4. My AW IMR 18350s get pretty close to 7.6 load volts. - Most of my li-on 18650s at 4.2v off the charger produce around 3.4 load volts. --- The 4.8v ni-mh batts produce right around 4.4 load volts fresh off the charger and die somewhere around 3.6 load volts, so they are a step above a li-on 18650 even when they are about to die.

I hope that helps.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I have a couple of madvapes voltage indicators. They let you see the load voltage while the atty or carto is being fired.

Here's what I learned: The lifep04 batts can only discharge around 3.1 or 3.2 amps which produces 5 to 5.2 load volts with a 1.6 ohm dual coil. So, even though you're charged to 7.0v, you are producing around 5.0 when the circuit is complete. My BDL IMR 18350s stacked can produce around 6.2 load volts even though they are charged to 8.4. My AW IMR 18350s get pretty close to 7.6 load volts. - Most of my li-on 18650s at 4.2v off the charger produce around 3.4 load volts. --- The 4.8v ni-mh batts produce right around 4.4 load volts fresh off the charger and die somewhere around 3.6 load volts, so they are a step above a li-on 18650 even when they are about to die.

I hope that helps.

Great....great info. The only reason I had thought about the 4.8 volt battery is the 3.2 volt battery @ first hit just a tad (but useable) high the vape is real warm. So I think I will just get another set of the 3.2 volt batteries so I have enough for a whole day of vaping. Then I dont need to mess around with another charger expense

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I got my roughstack Maxi V2 today and I tried to use the 4.8 volt Nimh batteries on it (the 4 X 1.2 volt ones that are encased in green plastic) as my preferred set up and they cause the atty to continuously fire without me pressing the button. This is disappointing because I wanted the roughstack mainly as a 5 volt mod and I bought the Nimh batts and charger specifically for this purpose.

Any ideas on how I can correct this? I notice the top of the batts are flat which is different from the 18650 batt.

Anthony
:(

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Im surprised Madvapes don't throw these in when someone orders the Nimh batts.

Madvapes doesn't carry them. Go to the arts and crafts department of whatever Australia's version of Walmart is and look for rare earth magnets for crafts projects. You'll probably be able to find a 4 pack of the 6mm magnets there.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Madvapes doesn't carry them. Go to the arts and crafts department of whatever Australia's version of Walmart is and look for rare earth magnets for crafts projects. You'll probably be able to find a 4 pack of the 6mm magnets there.

I will give that a go! There is a hobby store around the corner. The guy will either know what I am talking about or think I am trying to invent a backyard nuclear bomb. I am not an electronics kind of guy and am afraid my Roughstack might explode in my face when I start sticking peices of metal in it.

Anthony
:p

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I got my roughstack Maxi V2 today and I tried to use the 4.8 volt Nimh batteries on it (the 4 X 1.2 volt ones that are encased in green plastic) as my preferred set up and they cause the atty to continuously fire without me pressing the button. This is disappointing because I wanted the roughstack mainly as a 5 volt mod and I bought the Nimh batts and charger specifically for this purpose.

Any ideas on how I can correct this? I notice the top of the batts are flat which is different from the 18650 batt.

Anthony
:(

A blob of solder in center of switch assembly works.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
A blob of solder in center of switch assembly works.

The soldering of a blob on the assembly worked! The hobby shop owner knew just what to do and I now have two fully functioning 4.8 volt Nimh batteries for my Roughstack. Thanks so much guys!

Is it normal to be this happy that I rectified my 5 volt aspirations for my Roughstack? My friends just wouldn't understand.

Anthony

WiiWok

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Washington State
The new RS's have no spring nor straw. I have a maxi with a wire connector, and it works fine.
See also: Maxi Roughstack Switch Not User Replaceable???
What kind of issues are you having with yours?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

It just won't fire. I've tried combos of 6 brand new 18350 batteries from MadVapes, multiple brand new 510 cartos, 510 atties, 306 atties, and nothing. Disassembled the switch and nothing look amiss. Bottom spring seems ok and battery is making contact.

At least it looks nice.

Update: Looks like I have the new switch without the spring and straw.

Last edited:

WiiWok

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Washington State
Did you try a voltage meter? Maybe the center pin is pushed down too far and not making contact

I encountered something strange when trying to troubleshoot.

The bottom spring is cockeyed and bent in an odd shape. If I don't screw the top cap all the way on it will fire on all of the "MadVapes 510 Dual Coil Stainless" cartomizers (MadVapes #3152) that I've tried as well as an LR 306 (MadVapes #2890), SR 306 (MadVapes #2891), and a few 510 atomizers (not from MV). The vapor production is very good at 3.7v with a brand new 18350 (MadVapes #3116).

When I try a "Dual Coil Stainless Mega Cartomizer" (MadVapes #3125) I will sometimes get very weak vapor.

So, I'm not sure if it's the switch or perhaps the bottom spring, or a combination of both.

I'm definitely getting a good connection at times so I don't think it's the center pin.

Volt meter shows 4.09v on a fresh battery with the cap not screwed on all the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread