Rsst question

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLJohnny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
MO
I posted this in an old thread then realized it was in new members section. So here's goes over here.

So I now have solid vapor and my ohms don't bounce I'm at 1.6 400/32 with a 4/3 wrap. My flavor just isn't there. I've been going through many threads trying to understand where I failed. I just read on Ehumans blog a solid wick can be identified by leaving your unit on its side for hours with no leaking. I actually did that overnight to saturate my wick. I had no leaking. I do know one end of my wick is kind of closed off, I couldn't fit a paper clip all the way though. Does that need to be corrected?

Second question I'm using an rsst. I can fill the tank up half way then it just starts bubbling out of the top fill hole. How is that ? I can clearly see space in the tank but if I look down the hole the area right in the hole appears to have liquid in it.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I have a loose rolled straw wick in my rsst, .8ohms, 400 mesh and I'm getting plenty of flavor. I can't laying it on it's side though or it'll leak like crazy. the reason you have juice coming back on you is the juice has formed a um.. I don't know exactly how to explain it.. I just stick the syringe down as far as I can and fill. When the area in the hole forms a liquid "wall", I stick a pin in it, swish it around to break the seal.. kinda like surface tension.

varivapr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
New York
RSST has a larger top cap which does not produce as much flavor as an atty with a reduced top cap. Not sure what you are comparing to but the RSST is a great atty but just does not produce as much flavor as others.

As for filling. As you squirt juice in the tank it builds up a small amount of pressure in the tank which can force some juice up and out the fill hole or wick. Try filling with a large gage needle (skinny needle) or the skinniest needle tip bottle u can find. If you leave some space in the fill hole for air to escape while filling it will do this less.

grainey1968

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Locust Grove, GA, USA
Hi STLJohnny.
How long have you had the wick/ coil installed? By this, I mean how many tanks of juice have you gone thru? Typically you would need at least 2/3 tanks before the performance is best (if you have set it up correctly). Give it some time to bed in i.e. the wick and coil need to season. If you are still not getting the flavor, then there must be something wrong (wick, coil etc).
To answer your second question (and maybe the cause of your first question) - sounds like you have the wick too snug in the wick hole. There should be some room. You should easily be moving the wick up and down while in the wick hole. This may explain some of the flavor being muted also. You have a vacuum in the tank i.e. nowhere for the air to go when are filling the tank with juice. When I fill, I can sometimes see bubbling at the wick hole. Just slow down your filling of the juice. If the bubbling is at the fill hole, then you need to re-size your wick. Also are you filling your tank with a needle nose or are you squeezing straight from the bottle? Using a needle nose cap makes it a bit easier.
Hope this helps a little!!!

grainey1968

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Locust Grove, GA, USA
Hi STLJohnny.
How long have you had the wick/ coil installed? By this, I mean how many tanks of juice have you gone thru? Typically you would need at least 2/3 tanks before the performance is best (if you have set it up correctly). Give it some time to bed in i.e. the wick and coil need to season. If you are still not getting the flavor, then there must be something wrong (wick, coil etc).
To answer your second question (and maybe the cause of your first question) - sounds like you have the wick too snug in the wick hole. There should be some room. You should easily be moving the wick up and down while in the wick hole. This may explain some of the flavor being muted also. You have a vacuum in the tank i.e. nowhere for the air to go when are filling the tank with juice. When I fill, I can sometimes see bubbling at the wick hole. Just slow down your filling of the juice. If the bubbling is at the fill hole, then you need to re-size your wick. Also are you filling your tank with a needle nose or are you squeezing straight from the bottle? Using a needle nose cap makes it a bit easier.

Should have added - I have a RSST and the flavor is great. Maybe not as good as some other RBA's, but it is more than adequate!

STLJohnny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
MO
This rsst is my first rba so I'm comparing to clearos and carto tanks. I'm on my 2nd build and I know when I roll it tight I close off the inside. I was reading a thread that made it sound like your wick should be a tight hollow tube. My wick is tight but not open on both ends. This all seemed so easy I have to be missing something. It does have flavor it's just not any better than a clearo. I suppose it possible I just don't care for the rsst

mrcoolbp

ECF Veteran
...So I now have solid vapor and my ohms don't bounce I'm at 1.6 400/32 with a 4/3 wrap. My flavor just isn't there. I've been going through many threads trying to understand where I failed. I just read on Ehumans blog a solid wick can be identified by leaving your unit on its side for hours with no leaking. I actually did that overnight to saturate my wick. I had no leaking. I do know one end of my wick is kind of closed off, I couldn't fit a paper clip all the way though. Does that need to be corrected?

Most of what I've read states that a solid wick is a good thing, especially if it is wicking well. Some people have more luck with the fill-plug taken out though, so you could try that.

Second question I'm using an rsst. I can fill the tank up half way then it just starts bubbling out of the top fill hole. How is that ? I can clearly see space in the tank but if I look down the hole the area right in the hole appears to have liquid in it.
...When the area in the hole forms a liquid "wall", I stick a pin in it, swish it around to break the seal.. kinda like surface tension.

Donna, actually you nailed it: it's certainly surface tension. Just break that tension with a needle tip or paper clip. When the fill hole is "empty," the you can fill up. If your wick is dry you don't even need a needle tip, just take a regular dropper and jam it in tight, air will escape through the (dry) wick.

STLJohnny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
MO
Hi STLJohnny.

I have vaped about 1 tank. As far as wick tightness in the hole it is snug but does move up when I adjust coils up for hot spots so I would think that means not too snug.
Thanks!

varivapr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
New York
a wick can work just fine rolled solid or hollow. I havent used a clearo or carto in a while so I cant really compare but I do know when it comes to RBAs and flavor the RSST is at the lower end. It just has to much air volume under the cap to produce dense really flavorful vaper but its all relative to what you vape.

mrcoolbp

ECF Veteran
This rsst is my first rba so I'm comparing to clearos and carto tanks. I'm on my 2nd build and I know when I roll it tight I close off the inside. I was reading a thread that made it sound like your wick should be a tight hollow tube. My wick is tight but not open on both ends. This all seemed so easy I have to be missing something. It does have flavor it's just not any better than a clearo. I suppose it possible I just don't care for the rsst

I believe grainey was referring to the size of the wick. Like I said I understand tightly solid rolled wicks are GOOD. BUT, as grainey pointed out, you want your solid wick to have a little play in the wick hole. It should slide in and out quite easily AND still stay where you put it, make sense?

EDIT: looks like you cleared that up already.

grainey1968

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Locust Grove, GA, USA
Thanks I think I'm going to go make a thicker wick and roll it a smidge more to make it a little looser. Right now my mesh is about 1.5x2 maybe less

My solid wicks in a RSST is closer to 4inches wide before I start to roll. Takes a bit of fingers and thumbs pressure!

STLJohnny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
MO
I roll mine pretty solid too, and if I leave the fill hole plug out it will over wick. I drilled out my air hole and to tell you the truth if I had my eyes closed I could tell the difference in the flavor or performance between this or my $109 DIDs

Im going to assume you meant "couldn't". So leaving the fill hole plug out will help with flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread