RSST tank building question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yes, the size does make a difference. The lower the gauge number the thicker the wire. The thicker the wire the bigger the current pipe. I use 28 g kanthal in a 4/3 wrap on a 400 ss mesh wick for .8 ohm. This works very well for me in my RSST. Much depends on how you wick it. I cannot at all speak to the matter of ceramic/cheesecloth wicking, you are into some rare territory there.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just started building my own coils on my RSST tank. I have used the ceramic wick with cheesecloth thread and 3 wraps of #28 Kanthal. What would be the difference if I used 4 wraps of #30 Kanthal? Does the wire size/number of wraps make any difference?:unsure:

The 30 gauge Kanthal at a given length will have higher resistance than 28 gauge of the same length. The longer the wire used in the coil the higher the resistance. The more wraps the longer the wire becomes.

So, in making the new coil you are adding length and user higher resistance Kanthal = much higher resistance coil.

What is the resistance of the first coil? What are you hoping to change in your vape by changing the coil this way?

And out of curiosity, why are you using the cheesecloth?

greghemmings

Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Glasgow
The 30 gauge Kanthal at a given length will have higher resistance than 28 gauge of the same length. The longer the wire used in the coil the higher the resistance. The more wraps the longer the wire becomes.

So, in making the new coil you are adding length and user higher resistance Kanthal = much higher resistance coil.

What is the resistance of the first coil? What are you hoping to change in your vape by changing the coil this way?

And out of curiosity, why are you using the cheesecloth?

I hate to say it, but I am not sure the ohms :) I learned this whole thing off a video. If you wrap the coil area of the ceramic wick with cheesecloth, you won't get any hotspots and there is no breakin period...it vapes great! I am trying to produce more cloud!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I hate to say it, but I am not sure the ohms :) I learned this whole thing off a video. If you wrap the coil area of the ceramic wick with cheesecloth, you won't get any hotspots and there is no breakin period...it vapes great! I am trying to produce more cloud!

I'm assuming you're using a mechanical mod because of the (assumed) low resistance of the coil. You really need to know for sure the ohms of the coil and the maximum current capability of your battery so you don't draw too many amps current from it. Do that and it will start heating up. Get it too hot and it will vent hot gas that cant be stopped once it starts. It's nasty stuff and the whole situation can be quite dangerous. A digital multimeter (DMM) is really helpful for checking the resistance of the coil. Even if you've figured out everything, if that battery ever starts warming up in use, stop vaping it until you figure out what is wrong.

If you don't have IMR or high drain hybrid batteries you risk the batteries venting with flame which can be, well, explosive. What's the make and model of the battery you're using? You also need to avoid over discharging the battery. A DMM will allow you to check battery voltage as it winds down. I change mine out at about 3.6 - 3.7V. A good charger is also well advised.

There is a lot of sub-ohm vaping information in this thread.

Please stop what you're doing for a bit and research more about this before you continue. There are a bunch of details to learn and once you do that you will have a great experience with this :thumb:

greghemmings

Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Glasgow
:oops: OK...this should make you guys feel a little better! I measured the ohms with my Fluke and it is 1.8 and I varied this on my Provari. I changed to #30 wire as it's easier to wrap. The kick in my GG is set at 8 watts. Battery is an IMR 18490. Does this all sound better/safer? A big THANK YOU to Ryedan for posting the link (which I read in detail). It explained a lot that I was missing in this new hobby! :toast: Also, I have been a Ham Radio operator for 25 years so fairly skilled in electronics :)

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
:oops: OK...this should make you guys feel a little better! I measured the ohms with my Fluke and it is 1.8 and I varied this on my Provari. I changed to #30 wire as it's easier to wrap. The kick in my GG is set at 8 watts. Battery is an IMR 18490. Does this all sound better/safer? A big THANK YOU to Ryedan for posting the link (which I read in detail). It explained a lot that I was missing in this new hobby! :toast: Also, I have been a Ham Radio operator for 25 years so fairly skilled in electronics :)

Good to hear this greg! And you're very welcome. We're all careful about battery safety and you never know what experience someone new has so we tend to err on the side of caution.

You've got a great setup there. Have fun experimenting with it and finding what works best for you. And questions are always welcome here :)

Vape on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread