Not open for further replies.

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Ok, thanks this might actually work.

No problem. I never understood the part where you have to pulse until it is oxidized/ glowing evenly. If you do this you should have success. I did this on my iHybrid Pure and iChybrid and it worked perfectly the first time. You should use a 1/8" drill bit I believe on the RSST wick hole to wrap the coil on.

If you really want a good vape, get some 1/8" FC2000 ceramic wicks and do a hot wrap. I am running 3 of them in all 3 of my RSST's. I've been running the same wick/coil setup for the past 3-4 months.

Last edited:

v1kingfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
wisconin,usa
No problem. I never understood the part where you have to pulse until it is oxidized/ glowing evenly. If you do this you should have success. I did this on my iHybrid Pure and iChybrid and it worked perfectly the first time. You should use a 1/8" drill bit I believe on the RSST wick hole to wrap the coil on.

If you really want a good vape, get some 1/8" FC2000 ceramic wicks and do a hot wrap. I am running 3 of them in all 3 of my RSST's. I've been running the same wick/coil setup for the past 3-4 months.

Ok, I have an 1/8 inch screw and I think that should work for me, because every other method I've tried I just can't quite get. A lot of methods on youtube have them wrapping the wire around a paper clip, with the wick on it, but whenever I try that the wire loosens up and ruins my coil before I get to even insert it.

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Ok, I have an 1/8 inch screw and I think that should work for me, because every other method I've tried I just can't quite get. A lot of methods on youtube have them wrapping the wire around a paper clip, with the wick on it, but whenever I try that the wire loosens up and ruins my coil before I get to even insert it.

I don't know if a screw would work. You can buy a drill bit at home depot for a couple of bucks. You could try finding a nail the same size. I just don't think the screw would work as the threads would mess it up as far as the size. I don't know if they measure the size of the screw at the ends of the threads or the lowest part of the screw. But yea, once you wrap it and have it secured and then remove the bit/screw/nail from the coil it should stay put. I heat it a few times after doing that as it will help it get used to being in that shape and help keep it's form. I can't think of the correct word for that right now but yea. Then put in the un-oxidized wick and start pulsing and checking for shorts. You can keep pulsing through the shorts, just do really quick pushes on the button until it goes away or you can prod the coil/wick or turn the wick some to help if it won't go away.

v1kingfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
wisconin,usa
I don't know if a screw would work. You can buy a drill bit at home depot for a couple of bucks. You could try finding a nail the same size. I just don't think the screw would work as the threads would mess it up as far as the size. I don't know if they measure the size of the screw at the ends of the threads or the lowest part of the screw. But yea, once you wrap it and have it secured and then remove the bit/screw/nail from the coil it should stay put. I heat it a few times after doing that as it will help it get used to being in that shape and help keep it's form. I can't think of the correct word for that right now but yea. Then put in the un-oxidized wick and start pulsing and checking for shorts. You can keep pulsing through the shorts, just do really quick pushes on the button until it goes away or you can prod the coil/wick or turn the wick some to help if it won't go away.

Ok, I appreciate all the help! I have another question- I heard that you should only oxidize using the pule method to oxidize with a mec. is that true?

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Ok, I appreciate all the help! I have another question- I heard that you should only oxidize using the pule method to oxidize with a mec. is that true?

It shouldn't really matter. The reason to use a mech is because when it shorts a VV/VW device usually has protection built in that wont fire it if this happens so nothing is damaged. With a mech there isn't this protection. It shouldn't really matter. Also, like I had mentioned it is best to use a half drained battery with a mech so the coil doesn't get as hot. If there is a short and you hold the button for to long it can cause the coil to pop/ break contact. What ohms are you planning on building the coil at and what device are you going to be using it on again? What gauge wire are you using? It shouldn't be a problem using a VV/VW device to oxidize/ break in the wick.

v1kingfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
wisconin,usa
I plan on using it on a ego spinner with 30 gauge kanthal and I'm trying to get like a 2.5 coil. I just got a new wick from the store and I'm currently wrapping it, I'm having trouble getting it to a preferable size to fit my coil I set in place. The last wick I had didn't fit through the coil I wrapped using the petar k method.

Last edited:

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
To be honest, I would run 32 or even 34 gauge at about 2.0 ohms. The ego's have very small wires in them so they don't carry very much current. Or at least the 650 mah one's I have use small wires. If you run too low gauge wire it will pull to much current/amps (I know it is one of the two, just can't remember which) and burn up the wires.

As far as getting the wick to fit, just unwrap some and trim a little off and then roll it back up and test fit again till it fits in there kinda easily but with no space between the wick and coil.

They really shine on a mechanical with a 0.7-1.0 ohm coil using 28 gauge wire. If you read this it will explain why a lower gauge wire at lower ohms won't burn the juice like a higher gauge wire at lower ohms would. I didn't understand what I was missing until I tried it. Some people like RBA's and some don't. It takes practice and getting comfortable with rebuilding before you really get that great vape and enjoy them.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/346216-watts-do-not-matter-its-all-about-wire-temp-read.html

Last edited:

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I began with Genesis atomizers myself because dripping is not my style. I got so good at wrapping coils around mesh that the actual building part only took me 5 minutes. But then I would try to fire it with no such luck. Hotspots, shorts, i couldn't get it.

I then bought a Kayfun Lite because I knew wrapping silica was easier. It still took me a few builds, but I got it right within a week. Genesis style atomizers take a lot of fiddling and trial and error to get working.

Now that I have a hybrid on order, I am gonna give Gennys another spin. I think I will use the pulse method. One of the videos I watched said to use the pulse method and then adjust the coil that right before the hotspot.

Another thing to remember is that the coil should glow first in the middle and then move to the outer coils. Some people have also recommended using a bit of rolling paper underneath the coil. The rolling paper will burn away and helps to oxidize the wick under the coil.

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I gave up trying to wrap SS mesh on my RSST. I always got hot spots. I could never get the wrap right. Folded 3mm silica and pulled it through the wick hole, with the rest laying on the bottom of the tank. Wrapped 5 times with 32 Kanthal, and got 2.5ohms. Pulled one wrap off and it gave me 1.95ohms. Primed the wick and filled the tank. Hit the switch, and vaper. I could see the wick, rewicking with juice after letting of the switch. I will never look back at SS mesh.

I did it in 10 minutes, 1st time. On my 3rd fill of juice and still working well. No burned taste at all. A lot simpler than mesh.

Greg W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread