Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I just got an RSST and a mech, figuring I'd explore that avenue a bit as a sideline to my main setup (an SID and cartotanks). My first few tries at building wick and coil failed spectacularly, broke the coil while trying the pulse method. I've got 34 kanthal and 500 steel mesh. I know, not the ideal gauge wire for mechs, but it's what I've got at the moment. Finally got a working coil, came out around 1.7 ohms......or was at first. Just went to double check it as I typed and not reading or firing on my SID. Or my mech. I'll fiddle with it in a sec, but my initial question is this: Once I got it working, it tasted like licking a nail. Very metallic. Even after almost 2 tankfuls. I am aware that there is some break in time with mesh wicks, is this normal at first? How long should I expect it to taste like that? Or has this gone even more wrong than I anticipated? I'm less worried about making the RSST work with the mech than getting it vaping well at all, even on my SID or MVP.

aznzing03

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2013
Minneapolis
Did you remember to oxidize both the wick and coil before you put them together? IE: with the wick unrolled oxidize and then once rolled, oxidize again?
That should help with the beginning parts but yes, normally it does take a tank or so to completely get rid.
It may also be that you are getting "dry hits" which means your juice isn't wicking up to the coil on the deck(top part of the RSST).

I had found PBusardo's video review on the RSST was most helpful. Although he does kind of do everything quite quick, everything you would need to make sure you did is on his video.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
Did you remember to oxidize both the wick and coil before you put them together? IE: with the wick unrolled oxidize and then once rolled, oxidize again?
That should help with the beginning parts but yes, normally it does take a tank or so to completely get rid.
It may also be that you are getting "dry hits" which means your juice isn't wicking up to the coil on the deck(top part of the RSST).

I had found PBusardo's video review on the RSST was most helpful. Although he does kind of do everything quite quick, everything you would need to make sure you did is on his video.

Yup, watched it repeatedly before buying the RSST, then again before and during my builds. Going to get some 28 gauge kanthal and give it another shot, maybe the 34 is just too thin for this application?

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Your SS wick needs cleaning really good cleaning
Microwave a glass of water 2 minutes or until it boils
while waiting for it to boil clean the wick with dish soap and water rinse well
put the wick in the boiling water and swish around dry it off with a paper towel
set a gas or electric stove on high use pliers hold wick over flame/burner until solid cherry red flip it around do both ends
do that 3 times, after last oxidation rinse it off again

then recoil and it wont short and break the wire

I only use SS cable or mesh and I sometimes do use 34ga all the way up to 38ga.. if I do not do these oxidation steps it will break the coil
I never break the coil anymore

It will oxidize so good you can use it in anything and not worry about shorting --breaking the coil...

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
is the coil glowing at any point, even with juice in the tank? If so, you've either got a hot spot or not enough juice flow through the wick.
I have two RSSTs and recently learned that i was rolling the wicks a tad too tight. Now I roll them tight and firm, then flip it and work it back out just a hair so there's a tad softness to it. After oxidizing I got my flavor and vapor back.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
is the coil glowing at any point, even with juice in the tank? If so, you've either got a hot spot or not enough juice flow through the wick.
I have two RSSTs and recently learned that i was rolling the wicks a tad too tight. Now I roll them tight and firm, then flip it and work it back out just a hair so there's a tad softness to it. After oxidizing I got my flavor and vapor back.

Yup, glowing between the posts and the wick at both top and bottom. I'll try rolling looser next time.

aznzing03

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2013
Minneapolis
Yup, glowing between the posts and the wick at both top and bottom. I'll try rolling looser next time.

If by rolling looser you mean your coil, then yes. If your wick, then no.

Yup those are hotspots. In my experience, those hot spots are created by either having the coil too loose or too tight around the wick. There needs to be even pressure against the wick but not so much as to cut off the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread