Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Hi everyone,
I love my kayfun except for the the coil being on the bottom. It cools the vape down by the time it reaches the top. Is there an RTA similar to kayfun that has the coil closer to the top and delivers similar flavor? I am not looking for something with pre-built coils like Kanger Subtank or similar. Just something that I can build and install the coil myself.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
There are a few.

Nectar RTA. Easiest build I've come across yet, and great flavor. Its a genny in a way, but made to wick with basically anything. I use rayon.

Urba by Petar K. Similar to the Nector, but wicking is more complex.

Mirror by Kato. I couldn't get it to wick well top coiled and ended up flipping the deck to the bottom.

Reactions: Exchaner

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
You feel the Kayfun has a cool vape? What resistance are you running your Kayfun at? To warm my Kayfun up a bit, I usually close the airflow a bit and build a bit lower - between .8 and .5 Ohms and it heats the vapor up a bit inside that tiny little chamber. But if you're just looking for a top coil RTA type atty, I don't know. Also the chimney coil or a double-barrel coil will surely light your fire on that Kayfun.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
You feel the Kayfun has a cool vape? What resistance are you running your Kayfun at? To warm my Kayfun up a bit, I usually close the airflow a bit and build a bit lower - between .8 and .5 Ohms and it heats the vapor up a bit inside that tiny little chamber. But if you're just looking for a top coil RTA type atty, I don't know. Also the chimney coil or a double-barrel coil will surely light your fire on that Kayfun.

I do not vape sub ohm but I do like my vape a little warmer. 1.5 ohms will usually do it for me on a kayfun but the quality of the vape is somehow different from a top tank. Don't know how to describe it except that for the same ohms, a kayfun does not hit as hard.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
What does a HARD Hit mean to you????
Are you running a Mech or Regulated?? If regulated I might suggest wrapping your coil will a bit heavier wire and turning UP the power. IF running a mech. I might try a NANO tank kit. The shorter chimney gives a warmer vape.
You might also try tweaking the juice ratios of PG/VG and NIC to get the hit you want. A shorter drip tip with small ID will also deliver a warmer vape.

Reactions: Exchaner

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I do not vape sub ohm but I do like my vape a little warmer. 1.5 ohms will usually do it for me on a kayfun but the quality of the vape is somehow different from a top tank. Don't know how to describe it except that for the same ohms, a kayfun does not hit as hard.

Kraken, sat22, steam turbine, Or almost any genesis tank should fit your need.

Are you running a Mech or Regulated?? If regulated I might suggest wrapping your coil will a bit heavier wire and turning UP the power. IF running a mech. I might try a NANO tank kit. The shorter chimney gives a warmer vape.
You might also try tweaking the juice ratios of PG/VG and NIC to get the hit you want. A shorter drip tip with small ID will also deliver a warmer vape.

You don't sub-ohm... what device do you have your Kayfun sitting on? Sub ohming is safe as long as your batteries are capable of producing the power and having the max amperage limits you need to fire your coil without venting. Just remember OHM LAW and all should be well. Does that mean building a .01 coil on a Kayfun is a wise idea? Probably not. First off it'd burn the hell out of your lips, second the original insulators are delrin - not PEEK and therefore would probably melt at that low resistance. It's even safer if you add a device that has a lot of safety features on it. But again just because you can... doesn't mean you should. I have no problems with a warm vape on my Kayfun - what model of Kayfun you running? 3.1, 3.1ES, Lite, or Lite+? Because my Lite+ with a nickel coil is pretty warm and the settings are 30J @ 325F yet it still produces some warmth.

A genesis style atomizer would be up his alley, yes - thank you for reminding me of those.

I know what hard hitting means - but that's as subjective as flavor. Because what hits hard for one might not hit hard for someone else. I consider my Tugboat v2 and my Alliance RDA to be hard hitting especially on my IPV3. Those produce a pretty warm / hot vape too. Also you brought a valid point - mech or VV / VW mod? If mech - build lower. If VV / VW - adjust power. If you just aren't getting the throat hit you want - bump your nick and / or PG ratio.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California

I guess what I mean by a HARD hit is a more powerful throat hit. Could it be that the vapor's velocity is a factor in the amount of throat hit? I am speculating that the vapor has the highest velocity when it leaves the coil and gradually slows down as it travels upwards; the reason why a bottom coil has less of an impact than a top coil.

I am using a Kayfun light as well as a nano. Both are great in terms of flavor and the amount of vapor. But when it comes to throat hit, I get more of an impact from a top coil even with reduced amount of vapor. Believe it or not some of the old fashioned clearomizers had a good impact even though they had other problems. Of the current devices, the Magma RDA delivers the best throat hit mostly because it is a top coil, but that is not an RTA.

As for mods, I am using both regulated and unregulated mods with proper voltage/wattage.

I will have to look into some of the genesis style atomizers you guys are suggesting. Are they RTA's ?

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Coil height impacts throat hit as well. The further from the airhole the more throat hit.

I bought a Nectar clone from Focalecig for $9, lol! I like it enough that I'm going to pony up for an authentic.

A genny is more like an RDA with a tank underneath (so a huge well). Most build them with mesh wicks, but some lend themselves well to cotton or rayon wicks. If you want a genny, maybe look at the Origen v2. Single or dual, mesh or cotton, adjustable airflow.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi everyone,
I love my Kayfun except for the the coil being on the bottom. It cools the vape down by the time it reaches the top. Is there an RTA similar to Kayfun that has the coil closer to the top and delivers similar flavor? I am not looking for something with pre-built coils like Kanger Subtank or similar. Just something that I can build and install the coil myself.

Before the kayfun types, there were the genesis types which are topcoil.

Traditionally they were wicked with vertical mesh.

Its basically a dripper with a tank below it, and you drop a vertical wick down to wick the juice up to the coil.

Airflow from the side like most rda's

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Throat hit is MOSTLY generated by the PG and Nic in the juice....... You might try adjusting there FIRST.

From Exchanger, "I am speculating that the vapor has the highest velocity when it leaves the coil and gradually slows down as it travels upwards; the reason why a bottom coil has less of an impact than a top coil."

The highest air velocities will be found at the air inlets and at the drip tip.. Those places where the air is restricted.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Throat hit is MOSTLY generated by the PG and Nic in the juice....... You might try adjusting there FIRST.

From Exchanger, "I am speculating that the vapor has the highest velocity when it leaves the coil and gradually slows down as it travels upwards; the reason why a bottom coil has less of an impact than a top coil."

The highest air velocities will be found at the air inlets and at the drip tip.. Those places where the air is restricted.

Of course pg will produce better TH, but all things being equal, a top coil is still more effective.
As for air velocity, I agree that it's the greatest at the air inlet, but the drip tip is another thing. Vapor slows down not only by its own weight, but also from friction along the way.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Yeah it's that friction that causes the increase in velocity at the inlet and outlet.. The points where air eneter the chamber and exits the tip, will have the highest velocity. Gravity has no real bearing on the issue, that is being overcome by the suction, ie vacuum..

Sorry to disagree but friction slows things down, not the other way around. Think of your tires on a rough road - the rougher the road, the slower you go. Gravity has less of an effect but it still slows things down.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I don't think friction is what you guys are talking about. More like volume decreases and force increases. To get a harder force coming out of a hose, you need to decrease the diameter of the hose or its opening. Is that what you mean?

Yeah, friction is the wrong word, constriction would have been better. I'm sure there is a correct term. But I have killed many brain cells since school.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Hey, I have a minor in physics and I'm having a brain fart. Hydraulics principles.

Hydraulics principles are certainly at work, but they are a separate issue. Smaller outlet = higher velocity of course. But if you increase friction along that path (i.e a rougher surface for example), your velocity will go down. That is what I remember from my younger days...

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Hydraulics principles are certainly at work, but they are a separate issue. Smaller outlet = higher velocity of course. But if you increase friction along that path (i.e a rougher surface for example), your velocity will go down. That is what I remember from my younger days...

Yes, but what friction in an RTA? It has to be rather minimal, and I contend nearly inconsequential to vapor production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread