Rubbing Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky1127

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2013
Birmingham, Al, USA
Isn't isopropyl toxic? I would rather use ethyl alcohol. Highest percent available.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Both are toxic but more so in its undiluted state unless you are planning on consuming a great quantity of either I do not think the small amount used would have any effect short term or long term.

unclestu

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2013
ALLENHURST, NJ, USA
I have used ispropyl for cleaning my protank and associated parts. I let the parts soak in a container of the isopropyl for a day or more and I must say the wicks cleaned up like new. After the soak I then soak them is distilled water for a day and then let the parts completely dry. So far I see no adverse effect, and my vodka is used shaken not stirred.
Cheers :)
Stu

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I keep a bottle of the 91% ISO around. Make sure the label says isopropyl alcohol and distilled water AND THAT'S IT. No other stuff.

And I wish people would not refer to it as rubbing alcohol...since that could contain other stuff. So ISO is ISO. Rubbing Alcohol is ...undefined.

It dries away without residue over time. Small amount won't hurt anyone. Drinking a pint (or is that quart or more?) of it will hurt/kill. However, we're talking about a drop of residue if any at all. Small amounts are metabolized without harm. Large amounts can't be metabolized effectively and you die. Hence "It's the dose that makes the poison".

I use it once in a while to clean stuff including stubborn coils. However, hot water works almost as well in most cases. Just dry well.

THETOTALLYCOOL

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Spanish Harlem
I agree with Pops on this. I don't keep vodka or ever clear in the house but use IPA for quite a few things. I'll make a bath of alcohol and water mixed and let things soak. Then alcohol and q-tips where needed. Then a nice rinse, a water bath. Then a nice rinse again and buffing, drying.

The coils I use a pretty cheap, and I keep thinking about my potential savings in comparison to cigarettes. Thus, I usually just throw them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread