RY4, not seeing it with TFA double?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bang4dabuck

Nov 6, 2016
Finally got around to taking a shot at DIY. Did a simple recipe with the flavor at 18% of mix. Hardly any flavor and not anything like the only RY4 I get here in the Philippines which is what I'm after at least generally. I did another batch knocking that down to about 15% and then added 2% caramel, 1% Vanillen and 1% vanilla ice cream. More flavor but still not even close so I added a few drops of cavendish which made it slightly better but still no cigar. So is it just a different idea as to what RY4 should taste like ? I'm gonna guess that the RY4 brand sold here, SWEETCH ( which I can not get or find any info on ) probably uses Hangsen flavoring. Do you agree that the whole concept between Chinese versions and TFA are completely different ? To me the Asian stuff just smacked of tobacco, not cigs but I don't know either a sweet pipe or even some chaw of RedMan which I used for a short time. Hangsen RY4 seems both hard to get and very expensive especially since sold in small bottles. I've read numerous posts on figuring out flavors for this and one I've never seen but pops up in my mind almost immediately would be a CHERRY or derivative of ( black cherry ). Anybody get what I mean with this post and can point me down the right road ?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Finally got around to taking a shot at DIY. Did a simple recipe with the flavor at 18% of mix. Hardly any flavor and not anything like the only RY4 I get here in the Philippines which is what I'm after at least generally. I did another batch knocking that down to about 15% and then added 2% caramel, 1% Vanillen and 1% vanilla ice cream. More flavor but still not even close so I added a few drops of cavendish which made it slightly better but still no cigar. So is it just a different idea as to what RY4 should taste like ? I'm gonna guess that the RY4 brand sold here, SWEETCH ( which I can not get or find any info on ) probably uses Hangsen flavoring. Do you agree that the whole concept between Chinese versions and TFA are completely different ? To me the Asian stuff just smacked of tobacco, not cigs but I don't know either a sweet pipe or even some chaw of RedMan which I used for a short time. Hangsen RY4 seems both hard to get and very expensive especially since sold in small bottles. I've read numerous posts on figuring out flavors for this and one I've never seen but pops up in my mind almost immediately would be a CHERRY or derivative of ( black cherry ). Anybody get what I mean with this post and can point me down the right road ?
Hi Bang,
TFA Double RY-4.
Mix at 8% and age 30 days.
What level of nicotine are you using?
What equipment are you using? (mod/topper/Pod)
Did you get the TFA concentrate from TFA or a third party vendor?

Cheers
I

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
How long are you steeping for. That seems like a high percentage and sometimes over flavoring and under aging can sort of lead to "bleugh." It can be as bad as underflavoring in some ways, I would start out lower with whatever you mix, use smaller quantities with whatever you try (I hate artificial cherry flavoring so I am no help to you there) and taste every few days to a week and give it some time before you add more flavoring.

Good luck,

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’ve used tfa ry4 double in a lot of my mixes. I find at around 10% max is best. With the high % you are mixing you may be running into a problem with EM. It’s used at a sweetener in low % but at higher % it can mute the flavor of your juice. TFA RY4 double has EM already in it and at the higher percentage you are mixing at the EM in the flavoring could be muting the flavor of your juice. I hope this was helpful and good luck on future recipes.

MartinD

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2017
I am at 6-7 mg Nic and either got it at TFA or Bull City but it says TFA on it. I must admit not steeping for a month more like a week. Do you find TFA very similar to Hangsen ? TFA straight flavor smells nothing like what I think I'm looking for. I will knock the percent down and steep for a month.
I'm dosing it 5% on 50/50 base,6mg.At least 3 weeks steeping but optimum is 5-6 weeks.Smoked caramel and light cream after month,month and a half.That's how I feel.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
TFA Double is a pretty sweet flavor, and not strong on tobacco notes. More caramel, really.
You could add something tobacco to it at a small percentage if you think that's what's missing.
While it's OK without a steep,
a) It totally changes color over about 2 weeks, and the flavor does alter a bit
b) If you are adding anything - ESPECIALLY vanilla or tobacco - then steeping longer becomes key

I add a little Acetyl Pyrazine to my TFA Double RY4 mix - which is a "nutty" tone. Just don't go past 1% of the 10% dilution of it, or perhaps 1.5% or it flips over from "a little nutty note" to "FRITOS CORN CHIPS". (Really, lol. If ya want some Fritos Corn Chips vape, there's your stuff!)

Bang4dabuck

Nov 6, 2016
Ok more steep time, 8-10 Double RY4. 50/50 is that consensus because I was going 65/35 ? Which tobacco flavor ? I have cavendish but it does give off a pissy stink, maybe due to short steep time. As I said the SWEETCH RY4 makes me think of actual tobacco I've experienced somewhere in my life not sure when and where. I've tried some NETs but still prefer the RY4

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Bang4dabuck, I think(???) most of us would describe TFA RY4(Double), as "caramel with a bit of vanilla" and almost/entirely no tobacco.

If you are looking for a true(er) tobacco note; either look elsewhere, or use the TFA RY4D as an additive/flavor enhancer to a more direct tobacco concentrate.

To me, RY4D is the "non-tobacco lover's tobacco."

I am not saying it is a bad concentrate. It is just not really "tobacco." (to this old man's severely abused taste buds!:rolleyes:)

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I tend toward the heavier flavor mixes at 12mg which gives me a nice tobacco taste in the mornings.
RY4D @ 12.5 %
Acetyl Pyrazine @ 2%
Graham Cracker Clear @ 2.5%
Cotton candy @ 3%

Two week steep.
Recipe obtained from E.liquid recipes, not mine.
If you like a sweet tobacco you might give it a try. It's not too sweet, just trends sweet.
Has kept me off cigs for 16 months.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I tend toward the heavier flavor mixes at 12mg which gives me a nice tobacco taste in the mornings.
RY4D @ 12.5 %
Acetyl Pyrazine @ 2%
Graham Cracker Clear @ 2.5%
Cotton candy @ 3%

Two week steep.
Recipe obtained from E.liquid recipes, not mine.
If you like a sweet tobacco you might give it a try. It's not too sweet, just trends sweet.
Has kept me off cigs for 16 months.
I've been using that exact recipe for at least 2 years now as my daily almost adv.Ry4 double on it's own doesn't have much of a tobacco type taste to me,but in that mix,i think maybe the graham cracker helps bring out the tobacco because it is definitely noticeable there.
For anyone looking for more tobacco taste than Ry4d has,then try Tfa's regular Ry4 not the double,it is a lot more tobacco forward.They also have Ry4 asian,which is also tobacco heavy,but to me,it also has a heavy floral taste which i don't like,but others may find good.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
I use TFA RY4 double at 10%, add FA Caramel 2% and FA Marshmallow 4%. Then let it steep for 4 weeks min, 6 is best, doesnt really come together before that. Its a nice vape.
I'll add another thats really nice. TFA RY4 double 10% and TFA Jamaican Rum 5%, not the DX rum its horrible and tastes nothing like the original, let it steep the same, min of 4 best at 6.

Last edited:

Bang4dabuck

Nov 6, 2016
HaHa this reminds me of a few years ago when I was just getting into espresso and tried to get help on what beans to roast to get what I was after on HOME BARISTA. They gave me a list of all the various tastes in the coffee spectrum and asked which notes best described what I was after, I replied the one that tastes the most coffee-y LOL. Took me a little research and a few years but I'm good now. BBC Earth had a show that included how taste is very personal and that nothing tastes the exact same to different individuals. Anyways the tobacco taste I'm after is not at all cigarette like but more as I mentioned a sweet pipe although not too sweet but more of a hint of sweetness also it is very, very aromatic so much so that non vapers enjoy the smell ( vanilla and caramel ). So if I were to use a tobacco flavor to enhance my mix, any suggestions ? I have a big bottle of TFA Double, a caramel and a few vanilla flavors as well as ethyl maltol. As I mentioned Cavendish ain't doing it and has a real piss as in urine smell. There just gotta be a way to speed up the steeping process ( warmth and vibration ). If I had the recipe down this would not be important

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Bang4dabuck, if you are looking for a good pipe tobacco, I find Inawera Am4a checks off all my requirements. It vapes just the way I remember my grandpa's pipe tobacco pouch smelling. Though not particularly sweet (on its own),I (and more than a few others) enjoy it as a stand-alone. 3-4% in the base and nic of your choosing; and you have a solid pipe base. You can choose to leave it alone, or tweak in almost any direction. Caramel, vanilla, fruit, cream, and booze all play well with this one.

Bang4dabuck

Nov 6, 2016
Any thoughts on HOLY HOLY GRAIL RY4 flavoring ? Saw a recipe on another site called CARDINAL, 60/40 with 8% GRAIL and .75% Red Burley FLV with .25% KentuckyBlend FLV 14 day steep.

Inawera Am4a I see discussions of it as more coffe/chocolate or another version of RY4 even. You find it to offer the tobacco note I am looking for it seems. I've seen TOBACCO ABSOLUTE mentioned in other places.

My buddy is visiting the US but will be returning on Nov. 28 so I will be ordering stuff soon. Oh yeah, I live in the Philippines.

Last edited:
Reactions: smacuser

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Any thoughts on HOLY HOLY GRAIL RY4 flavoring ? Saw a recipe on another site called CARDINAL, 60/40 with 8% GRAIL and .75% Red Burley FLV with .25% KentuckyBlend FLV 14 day steep.

Inawera Am4a I see discussions of it as more coffe/chocolate or another version of RY4 even. You find it to offer the tobacco note I am looking for it seems. I've seen TOBACCO ABSOLUTE mentioned in other places.

My buddy is visiting the US but will be returning on Nov. 28 so I will be ordering stuff soon. Oh yeah, I live in the Philippines.
Holy holy grail is good and is probably my fav ry4. JF has a decent one also but more on the lines of tfa ry4d. INW am4a was reformulated just a while back but its still pretty good. Just got a little sweeter than the original. I treat most of the ry4's as a caramel than a tobacco. FLV has some of the best tobacco's.Connecticut shade and classic cig might be what you are looking for. FA Cuban supreme could also help. RY4 at 8% and connecticut at 1-1.5 would be good

Reactions: smacuser

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
INW-Am4a gets its name from the real life pipe tobacco Amphora (pronounce Am4a phonetically). The connoisseur might be picking up "hints" of chocolate; but it is in no way an RY4. Though, by adding some caramel and vanilla, one could bend it that way. You might want to find some different discussions.;)

Absolutes, are the result of tobacco extractions, and used to enhance tobacco blends. They are (generally speaking) not intended to stand on their own. Also, for what it's worth, I have never heard of a "sweet" absolute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread