Ry4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
Man...everywhere I turn in these forums I keep reading the letters and digit R-Y-4! I know this is an ejuice flavor and I know many different vendors have their own version. For the love that is all good...please describe this popular flavor to this hillbilly from the Ozarks. I must know more about it! Can someone please describe the flavor and in your honest opinion...who sells the best RY4? I also realize that there will be many different opinions, but we'uns are educated hillbillies :laugh: and we would like to make an informed decision and purchase! As always...thanks in advance for your input, opinions and advice!

Kyle&Ann

iceman68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
...and hockey!!

Cool! Hockey fans! :thumbs:

-And now we rejoin the topic already in progress-

I've been searching for the holy grail of RY4s since I first heard of it. Tried several different vendors but still haven't found THE ONE. Each supplier has their own take on RY4 and if you read here enough you'll find varying opinions, likes, dislikes, recommendations, etc., etc.

I'm trying to DIY my own stuff now, as opposed to going broke sampling all the options out there.

Not to discourage you though. My best advice is to read some reviews/opinions, pick a couple RY4s to try and go from there.

Good luck!

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
Thanks Iceman! I just read both links...good info and we appreciate it very much. I have not stopped reading about vaping since we started a few weeks ago. It is almost too much to digest. I will take your advice and read some more. I have to try this flavor and I would be very interested in hearing about how your RY4 DIY experience turns out. I will be getting a ton of DIY stuff in sometime next week and I am itching to get started. Dang it...I love to tinker! Keep us posted please.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv

arcelt

Jul 12, 2013
Conway, AR, USA
Hi Kyle&Ann,

From one Hillbilly to another (I grew up in Barling so we're practically neighbors and probably related), RY4 was one of the earlier e juice blends that has a tobacco flavor base with flavoring (vanilla and caramel) on top. From what I understand, the higher the number after the c, the more flavoring on top (so RY3 would have less caramel/vanilla, though more experienced vapers may correct me on that) Lots of people love it and consider it to be a staple e juice. I really, really wanted to love RY4 since it seems to be such a big deal, but I just can't. I've only tried 2 different RY4s (and there are a million) but both that I've tried have a maple-syrupy sort of overtone that I find just too cloying. It's like smoking a bottle of syrup to me and I just personally don't enjoy that. But taste is subjective and a lot of people seem to really enjoy it.

Last edited:

jetcity

Keeper of the Provari Ω
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Washington
The first RY4 I purchased when I started was from apolloecigs. I mix it with their regular tobacco flavor and it makes a sweet deliciousness. :) I'm always on a quest to find a better RY4 but haven't found one I like better yet... I have an order coming from highbrowvapor next week and I'm curious to see if I like it!

I know I didn't really answer your question about what it tastes like. It's always hard to describe tastes because all the other ones I've tried had a lot of good ratings and I just didn't care for them.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
From what I understand, the higher the number after the c, the more flavoring on top (so RY3 would have less caramel/vanilla, though more experienced vapers may correct me on that)

That's not correct, though I can understand why some vapers would think that.

both that I've tried have a maple-syrupy sort of overtone that I find just too cloying. It's like smoking a bottle of syrup to me and I just personally don't enjoy that.

Out of curiosity, which brands did you try? Those sound like modern takes on RY4, which many longtime RY4 fans refer to as "custom" RY4s. Juices made similarly to the original version are referred to as "classic" RY4s and have a more subtle sweetness.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I am not an RY4 fan of any description, I haven't liked many RY4's as I find them way too sweet and sickly.

However, just my 2 cents, (the RY4 thread is awesome for juice reviews and nuances between the different suppliers / blends) but I will just say that Halo Tribeca and VR4 from Vaperite are really good RY4's - for someone who isn't really into RY4's if you get me...

Not too sweet, tobacco-y undertones and some complexity in there. Very nice.

arcelt

Jul 12, 2013
Conway, AR, USA
Out of curiosity, which brands did you try? Those sound like modern takes on RY4, which many longtime RY4 fans refer to as "custom" RY4s. Juices made similarly to the original version are referred to as "classic" RY4s and have a more subtle sweetness.

My first one was the same as jetcity, from ApolloECigs. The second was a local shop and I'm not sure where they got their RY4 from. Perhaps I would enjoy a classic, since your description jives more with what I was hoping to experience.

bikerbeagle

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Wichita, KS USA
As others have stated and provided links for, RY4 is quite probably the most popular vaping flavor of all time...it truly is "legen-wait for it-dary" in the vaping world. It consists of a tobacco, caramel, and vanilla flavors. Unfortunately, no one knows the original recipe, so many have tried to simulate/reproduced the flavor over the last several years - some successfully, some not so successfully.

The roundup linked in a previous response is quite old and outdated ...for example, Backwoods Brew - the top-rated RY4 in that 'review' - no longer has their RY4 available, claiming a short of ingredients to make it.

I'm not sure who currently makes the 'best' as I haven't tried many of the different versions and adaptations. Many aren't even called RY4 anymore - Halo's Tribeca is an RY4, for example, that wouldn't show up in a google search. There is a DIY recipe posted in the DIY Juice forum that is getting rather positive reviews- RWhy4 - but, ultimately, it uses the Double RY4 flavoring from The Flavor Apprentice.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
The roundup linked in a previous response is quite old and outdated ...for example, Backwoods Brew - the top-rated RY4 in that 'review' - no longer has their RY4 available, claiming a short of ingredients to make it.

It's not outdated at all. Bill updates the list every few months.

Edit: The last update to the report card was in May.

Last edited:

jfango

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Salisbury MO
I've only tried one RY4, Janty's Elixer Series in VG. Under the heading for the product on Janty's website is, "The original Janty RY4 best seller, introduced on the market in 2007 by Janty." It is a nice flavor, equal parts tobacco, vanilla and caramel. I can see why it became so popular. It hasn't made it into my top three, but it's rubbing elbows.

StarDose

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Brampton
Dekang ry4 is pretty much the original Asian ry4 and is great, not too sweet just right. Halo tribeca is like a punch in the mouth odd tasting ry4 just not for me. I have TPA Asian ry4 dig flavoring and its a maple taste to it but if you mix it with some other flavors it turns out really good. It will really come down to personal tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread