S-Body Bottom Feeder S-Ca3 50Watt-Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
closing in on 3 weeks with the S-Ca3 mod - no issues with it to report. the bottle screws in and out much easier now, so that is a plus. i keep the battery adjustment pin low to get a tight connection with the 18650 too since i had a half day of inconsistency a while back with a new battery before figuring this part out.

Reactions: unsure

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Curious about regulated squonking, at the price of this thing, I had to try it. I've been using REOs for nearly a year, and tried a PEKO for a while.

So far, it seems like a decent device, haven't given it a thorough run yet though.

I wanted to comment about the supplied atty. I actually thought it would be a good atty by looking at it. I built it last night for the first time. Dual coils netting .34ohms. During annealing of the coils, the positive post insulator melted! Smelled like burnt rubber. I think I won't be using the supplied atty.
I'm going to put on of my BF Vectors on it tonight and give it another try.

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
have a question for the folks that own these, have you noticed any juice ending up on the bottom of the mod by the vent holes. i have found some instances where i pick it up and get juice between my pinky and ring fingers ( i support the mod in my hand with my pinky). at first i thought i just placed it in a puddle from when i take the drip tips off, but this morning i had it on the kitchen counter and it happened again. any ideas? i know the bottle is tight, as is the atty, havent over squonked in a few weeks, just worried that im gonna fry the board and have a shiny paperweight.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
have a question for the folks that own these, have you noticed any juice ending up on the bottom of the mod by the vent holes. i have found some instances where i pick it up and get juice between my pinky and ring fingers ( i support the mod in my hand with my pinky). at first i thought i just placed it in a puddle from when i take the drip tips off, but this morning i had it on the kitchen counter and it happened again. any ideas? i know the bottle is tight, as is the atty, havent over squonked in a few weeks, just worried that im gonna fry the board and have a shiny paperweight.

Yes, sometimes I'll feel a little at the bottom of the bottle. Like maybe not a tight enough seal.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
One issue with this mod and the self contained squonker Fountain V2 - you thread a plastic bottle into a metal threading - I turn the plastic like I am unscrewing it first so the bottle will find the threading properly. It is easy to have the bottle threads to be offline but still seem tight - this will cause leaks most times even if the bottle feels inserted right.

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
For those that have this and haven't chimed in ... Would you recommend this?

Im strongly considering getting this. I need to move up to a bottom feeder, but Im to the point where I just prefer regulated devices over mechs. I love dripping, but never use any of my mechs anymore. So I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger on a Reo or even a cheap mech squonker.

It seems like there are not any proven reliable regulated bottom feeders out there. Yet. The S-CA3 is the only one ive seen that might suffice.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
There are a few regulated squonkers around now but mostly clones or high end ones. I felt the same as you about wanting regulated instead of a mech but after owning a REO for a month I'm sold on the build quality & simplicity. In fact I traded my Snow Wolf for another REO because I didn't see the benefit. The REO fans are so fanatical because it flat out works & you don't need or even want another device once you get one. Now, wanting another REO happens but that doesn't count ;)

Reactions: unsure

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
For those that have this and haven't chimed in ... Would you recommend this?

Im strongly considering getting this. I need to move up to a bottom feeder, but Im to the point where I just prefer regulated devices over mechs. I love dripping, but never use any of my mechs anymore. So I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger on a Reo or even a cheap mech squonker.

It seems like there are not any proven reliable regulated bottom feeders out there. Yet. The S-CA3 is the only one ive seen that might suffice.
Look at SunBox!

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Btw the I just figured out that the display "POWER LOCKED" is how to set a wattage #......
duh_.gif

Reactions: fishwater
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread