Safety. This stuff can hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaw101

Mar 28, 2010
FL
ecighome.com
I'm kinda new to ecigs. Started with a couple evods and tanks. No problems.

then decided to try a dripper set up. Got the Smokteck rda mini and a cheap mod and some batteries and off I went. Decided to build a coil. One of my first builds was 4 turns of 28 awg kanthal on some 2 mm silica. I stupidly put the battery in the mod upside down (negative to the top, positive at the bottom on the button). Didn't lock the button while making adjustments to the coil with my index finger. Pow...pain to my index finger. Felt like a burn, but I ended up with what appears to be a cauterized 1 inch cut in the finger tip. It's healing up, but I'm obviously a tard.

Backwards battery placement in a mod energizes the outside case when the fire button is pressed. That was the first mistake. Not locking the fire button while the tank was off was the second mistake.

Be careful. My career is in electronics and I understand electricity. This was a bonehead move. Be careful....it freaking hurts!

Ouch! Almost took home a Darwin Honorable Mention myself early on in my vaping history. Touched a hot coil. Just to see what it felt like. Not red hot, but hot enough to leave a mark and lasting pain. Why did I do that? Because I'm an idiot but I never accidentally burned myself since.

Worked at this liquor store once. First day, the boss takes me and this cheap bottle of wine out in the back alley. Thought we were about to party! No. He says, "Here, smash this bottle on the ground."

"Huh?"

He goes all Nike on me: "Just Do It."

"Okay, strange way to run a liquor store but okay." So I smash it. Felt good.

"Everybody who works here breaks a bottle. That was your One, that cheap bottle of Two Buck Chuck. Don't break any more, especially not the Dom. Now clean up that mess."

Of course it didn't work, I still broke a bottle or two, but his method seemed pretty cool and Zen at the time. :confused: :blink:

So what's my point? No, I'm asking. What's my point? :p

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
I'm kinda new to ecigs. Started with a couple evods and tanks. No problems.

then decided to try a dripper set up. Got the Smokteck rda mini and a cheap mod and some batteries and off I went. Decided to build a coil. One of my first builds was 4 turns of 28 awg kanthal on some 2 mm silica. I stupidly put the battery in the mod upside down (negative to the top, positive at the bottom on the button). Didn't lock the button while making adjustments to the coil with my index finger. Pow...pain to my index finger. Felt like a burn, but I ended up with what appears to be a cauterized 1 inch cut in the finger tip. It's healing up, but I'm obviously a tard.

Backwards battery placement in a mod energizes the outside case when the fire button is pressed. That was the first mistake. Not locking the fire button while the tank was off was the second mistake.

Be careful. My career is in electronics and I understand electricity. This was a bonehead move. Be careful....it freaking hurts!

Battery direction had nothing to do with what happened, in most mechanicals, the direction of the battery is irrelevant. If you have a Kik, it is, but in a purely mechanical setup, direction of flow is completely irrelevant.

flaw101

Mar 28, 2010
FL
ecighome.com
Confuzzled....I here ya. The theory has been discussed over and over here on the forum. Whether the electrons come out of the ... end of the battery or whatever. The point is the casing of the battery is negative....making for potential danger if the battery is improperly installed. All I know, is my finger freaking hurts. I don't want to repeat....and I don't want any others to have to experience that.

cstone1991

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2014
Idaho
Confuzzled....I here ya. The theory has been discussed over and over here on the forum. Whether the electrons come out of the ... end of the battery or whatever. The point is the casing of the battery is negative....making for potential danger if the battery is improperly installed. All I know, is my finger freaking hurts. I don't want to repeat....and I don't want any others to have to experience that.
The case is nothing more than one side of the circuit. It is only negative if the battery is installed with the negative end down. A coil doesn't care which direction current is flowing just like a standard incandescent light bulb doesn't care which direction current is flowing. The only problem with installing a battery upside down is that the design of some mods could allow the negative end to touch both the firing pin and the body of the tube at the same time due to the larger exposed area on the negative end of a battery.

As I understand them, these batteries almost always vent from the positive side when it happens, and the vent holes are almost always at the bottom of a mod, so it may actually be safer to install the battery upside down in a mod designed to properly hold a battery in that orientation.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Haha.... Point is cheap wine is fun to waste.

I work on stuff that'll kill you every day. Most of us have probably changed an outlet or light switch. I used to work with 28000 volt circuits when I was in broadcast TV. Then a 37 volt DC battery bites me. Oh well.
Learned a healthy respect for HV many moons ago in the broadcast industry.....klystron assemblies and BIG capacitors could do you in if you didn't pay attention!!:facepalm:
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread