Status
Not open for further replies.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
And idea occured to me when I was in the gen e-liquid room. Salt. Is salt the difference between good/ exact flavor or not? And if so how do you simulate salt? or do you desolve actual salt? or is their salt flavor already out there? Now when you think vape you don't really think salt, but hear me out... thinking of juice from a culinary perspective you need salt it almost ANY recipe. Salt is a flavor enhancer. And after I starting thinking about this a tasted my bought juices and eureka! They are all bland. I mean... they have flavor but that certain element is missing. I know that it would be a very tricky thing to mix properly. But when done right I think flavors would really come to life! So.... how can it be done? I am asking because if I am going to do the DIY thing, I wana do it right. And if I start I will become obsessed... and I might just open a juice shop. :blush:

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Hmmm, you may be onto something. I never thought of that.
There has been a little something missing from my juices, maybe this is it.

Do you know anything about chemistry?
In case you don't- Nicotine when basified turns into its freebase form and when it is acidified turns into its salt form.
Maybe the ph could effect flavor...

I think you mean something completely different- adding actual table salt to juice.
So.... how can it be done?
This is unexplored territory hun, your guess is as good as mine.*shrugs*

I guess would start off by dissolving a bunch of the salt into some PG like sweetener, sour, and ethyl maltol solution is made, then adding some to a juice.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
Hmmm, you may be onto something. I never thought of that.
There has been a little something missing from my juices, maybe this is it.

In case you don't- Nicotine when basified turns into its freebase form and when it is acidified turns into its salt form.
Maybe the ph could effect flavor...

I think you mean something completely different- adding actual table salt to juice.

This is unexplored territory hun, your guess is as good as mine.*shrugs*

I guess would start off by dissolving a bunch of the salt into some PG like sweetener, sour, and ethyl maltol solution is made, then adding some to a juice.

Well yeah... I mean I guess you could just desolve some salt and make your own. I don't know much about chemistry. I mean well... I got A++ when in school for chem and I loved every second. But I am not a chemist. Thus why I was asking. is it dangerous? Is there already a salt flavor extract>?

But seriously, when I think of these flavors we vape, baked goods and such... if I were to go about creating a juice I would start with a general recipe of flavors of equal parts of the flavors that I would use in a real recipe. Salt is the most important flavor of any recipe even tho its usually in a very small amount. I can't think of 1 recipe that I have that does not include salt. Even when I make gourmet coffee I ad a pinch of salt to the grounds before brewing. People love my coffee. They can't put their finger on why it's better. I tell them it's made with love. :)

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
They have sour and sweet, why not salty too? ;)

I'm worried about it caking up my atty.
*nudges maraih* You try it first. :p

Oh don't worry... I will be all over this. But just like I do everything... I need to research the poo of of it before I even order anything. I am telling you tho... If I start this I am pretty sure I will be opening A "Mariah's Mystic vapes" or some such juice company. If I do something I go all the way.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Hmmm..Have you ever see a picture of a salt flat?

The water evaporates and leaves the salt behind..
Now that I think about it this might be a bad idea. Seems like it would be left behind and not come through in the vapor.

Then again, the sweet from the sucrose in the sweet additive and the sour from the malic acid additive come through.
So maybe, just maybe, the salty from a salt solution would come through. *crosses fingers and hopes it does*

Sorry If that came across as condescending or negative in any way. I didn't mean it to.
Hell, I've never taken a chem course in highschool. Everything I know is self taught. So you are probably more knowledgeable than I am. ;)

Last edited:

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
Hmmm..Have you ever see a picture of a salt flat?

The water evaporates and leaves the salt behind..
Now that I think about it this might be a bad idea. Seems like it would be left behind and not come through in the vapor.

Then again, the sweet from the sucrose in the sweet additive and the sour from the malic acid additive come through.
So maybe, just maybe, the salty from a salt solution would come through. *crosses fingers and hopes it does*

Sorry If that came across as condescending or negative in any way. I didn't mean it to.
Hell, I've never taken a chem course in highschool. Everything I know is self taught. So you are probably more knowledgeable than I am. ;)

No worries I didn't take it like that at all. I did however thing of the evaporation and leaving salt behind thing. I am fx that the flavor will come through. I may just need to play with technique of the solvent medium to get the right effect.

GaMntGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
North Georgia

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
As I understand it- salt will destroy cartomizers atomizers etc But I did read about someone that uses preservative free NaCl.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...d-ons-em-vw-bw-mts-acv-ect-2.html#post5559578

I suggested it a month or so ago as a missing ingredient in Gorilla juice? because I make banana nut bread and it was the missing ingredient but it was passed over...

What is preservative free NaCl? And what methods have been tried to extract the salty taste of salt? SO I know what has been tried and failed. Not trying to be argumentative or condescending in any way. I find it hard to believe that it is impossible to make a salt taste that would introduce salt flavor without messing with equipment. As far as I understand it is a relatively new concept... and maybe it just hasn't had someone try hard enough to find the possible solution as to how to extract the salty aspect of salt without having the residue. Now I am more passionate then ever to experiment and find a way. If there is a will there is a way.

I might be making vape history!

GaMntGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
North Georgia
What is preservative free NaCl? And what methods have been tried to extract the salty taste of salt? SO I know what has been tried and failed. Not trying to be argumentative or condescending in any way. I find it hard to believe that it is impossible to make a salt taste that would introduce salt flavor without messing with equipment. As far as I understand it is a relatively new concept... and maybe it just hasn't had someone try hard enough to find the possible solution as to how to extract the salty aspect of salt without having the residue. Now I am more passionate then ever to experiment and find a way. If there is a will there is a way.

I might be making vape history!

Go read the link provided.Post 49 on He/ She says she has used for.... Preservative free means no preservatives NaCL is salt. She is talking about the saline solution used in hospitals. she did give a link to a source somewhere.

Last edited:

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
Go read the link provided. She says she has used for.... Preservative free means no preservatives NaCL is salt. She is talking about the saline solution used in hospitals. she did give a link to a source somewhere.

Ah yes... I knew this sounded familiar. I have asthma medication that I use in a nebulizer that has that ingredient. And I inhale that... so it should be safe eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread