San Francisco considers banning e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtpjc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
I am not as fluent as many of you here. When I hear such utter and blatant stupidity I can go two ways: shake my head and go away, or start cursing which might get me arrested. I don't have the patience anymore to respond in a well mannered and respectful kind of way. Sick and tired of it. I feel for you American people.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
Perhaps it is more accurate to state that they leave no lingering smell like cigarette smoke. But I agree that we cannot use the argument that they have no smell period.

Smell is very subjective, and some liquids definitely emit an odor while they are being vaped. Some have pleasant smells, while others definitely do not. I've stood next to people vaping a cinnamon-flavored juice and rather enjoyed the smell. But the smell was gone as soon as the vapor dissipated. However, there is one particular juice that almost made me ill when someone was vaping it near me. I swear, that smell to me was worse than a traditional cigarette. I had to stand upwind from him. However, as soon as he stopped vaping, the smell was gone. Can't say that about a cigarette.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
To me an e cig is still a cig :facepalm:

ADRENA: Why do you believe that a vaporizer is a cigarette?

Because it looks like a cigarette? Not all do. I'm using an eGo and it doesn't look very much like a cigarette at all. Folks tell me that it looks a pen. Have you seen the "juice box mod"? How about the "Chuck"?

Because you inhale something that resembles smoke? Vapor is not smoke. Smoke can only be created by burning, creating a chemical change in whatever is being combusted. Parts of the burned substance turn into tar, some into toxic gases such as carbon monoxide, some into particles of ash, and some 4,000 new chemicals that did not exist until the burning took place.

Vapor does not contain tar, carbon monoxide, particles, and all those new chemicals. Vapor can only contain the chemicals that started out in the liquid to begin with, and not all of those make it into the vapor.

Did you ever look inside a pot after boiling off all the water in it? You'll see some of the minerals that were dissolved in the liquid crystalized in the bottom of the pot. Vaporizing has the effect of "purifying" the liquid by removing some of the trace ingredients. The vapor that we inhale is very close to the vapor that is produced by an artificial fog machine. The extras include some flavoring, and a small percentage (from 0% to 3.6%) of nicotine. After that vapor is filtered through your lungs, what you exhale is pretty much water vapor. Most of the propylene glycol and the nicotine are absorbed, according to Dr. Murray Laugesen of Health New Zealand.

When you inhale smoke, much of the tar and particulates stick to your lungs. This is why after years of smoking people have problems breathing and develop a productive cough. Those 4,000 new chemicals? Many of them are toxic and some are carcinogenic, which is why smokers have higher rates of cardiovascular disease and cancers (as well as higher rates of lung disease.)

Over 90% of people who substitute vaporized PG or VG (with or without nicotine) for their smoke report that their health has improved. Those who had lung problems see improvements in their breathing, less wheezing, and less coughing. Some are reporting that their blood pressure has gone down. Some report improved stamina. Of course, Kempton, if you are in your 20s, perhaps you haven't smoked long enough to see any negative effects on your health, so it's hard for you to tell the difference.

I smoked for 45 years and my lungs have been pretty messed up by it. I defintely see the difference.

If an e-cig is still a cig, why are the health outcomes so drastically different?

When you look at the walls in a room where smoking has taken place, you can see a sticky yellow film. You can also see this yellow-brown stain if you inhale smoke from a real cigarette and exhale into a tissue. Try exhaling vapor into a tissue. What do you see? Does the tissue feel tacky?

Vapor is not smoke. Therefore an e-cig is not a cigarette.

Last edited:

GMoney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
MA
I'm not going to be favored here. But I can handle E cig being lumped with thous icky sticks.
I don't need to vape at a bar of wile out eating. It would be nice to yes, but it's not a need.
E cig's being regulated at a tobacco is a good thing in my book, better then BP getting their hands on them.
The lesser of 2 evils as I see it......
As long as smokers and vapres alike stand up for each other and the right to do what we do in our own personal space (home, car, business, etc) out of the prying eyes of others, will we all have a chance.

Sorry, No. Nothing personal. but your logic is flawed.

What YOU "need" is completely irrelevant. What adults our ALLOWED to do by their government in a supposedly FREE society is relevant.

We need to put a stop to all this nonsense.

Privately owned business should not be told by the government what legal activities are permissible on their premises. There should be an extremely high threshold for legal activities that are considered impermissible in public.

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
I used to live off Polk street in San Franciso in the early 70's. I've seen a lot change in that city.

But some things never change. When you talk like an idiot and act like an idiot, chances are - you're an idiot.

Idiots unite! I'd like to introduce you to a new member to your club. Dr. Tomas Aragon, who poses as a city health officer in his spare time. In his full time capactity - he's an idiot.

Nothing in America surprises me anymore, because when you think you have seen or heard the worst, the craziest, the sickest, the most stupid and absurd, just change the channel, turn the corner, change lanes. You will hear and find and see worse.

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
To me an e cig is still a cig :facepalm:

That's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not a cigarette, it doesn't carry the same social costs as a cigarette, and isn't as harmful as a cigarette to its users. It doesn't operate like a cigarette and doesn't produce smoke like a cigarette.

It can be a cigarette to you, but it's still not really one. To call it one is just a lie. The rationale behind smoking bans simply don't apply to vaping, so why should we allow the law to lie to the public by equating them, and then further restrict our freedoms based on that lie?

I'm talking about the law here. If a business owner chooses not to allow vaping, that's his/her right of course. But the law should be grounded in fact and honesty, not whim and appearances.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Um, I'm 99% sure Kempton was doing a facepalm about that statement because it was originally stated by someone else earlier in the thread.

Thanks for that correction, Greg. I have edited my post to address my remarks to the original speaker. Kempton, my apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread